PapR's312-8

Threaded axle for 312-8

PapR's312-8

About a week ago I had decided to go with 8" rims on my 312-8. I had the idea to die-cut threads on the end of the axles then use castle nuts with cotter keys. I think it has gone well.  Although my second nut seems to have an issue with the starter threads. I'll chase them out or get a new nut. Let me.know your thoughts.  

20220920_182351.jpg

20220920_184940.jpg

20220920_190513.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

TJ5208

That is a neat idea. Good job. I always wondered why the put they smaller tires on the front.

Edited by TJ Salyers
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Nice looking work there. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Nice looking work there. 

:text-yeahthat: x2!

• Like 2

ri702bill

Welcome - nice work. Not the easiest thing to cut a 3/4" fine thread using a die by hand. Two things come to mind - it is almost impossible to get a clean die engagement if the end of the spindle is not chamfered or undercut first. ( you can afford to loose that first thread anyway) And, you need a sharp die with a decent cutting oil - along with steady hands....

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
added note
  • Like 4

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti: and great work @PapR's312-8!

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, PapR's312-8 said:

decided to go with 8" rims on my 312-8.

Larger diameter front tires make for a smoother ride and improved steering.                      :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Handy Don
7 hours ago, TJ Salyers said:

That is a neat idea. Good job. I always wondered why the put they smaller tires on the front.

Saves cost mostly. Could also affect the clearance to front- and mid-mounted implements (blades, blowers, mowers, graders) although WH didn't get into different implements for "small wheel" models.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Saves cost mostly. Could also affect the clearance to front- and mid-mounted implements (blades, blowers, mowers, graders) although WH didn't get into different implements for "small wheel" models.

I may be misremembering this..? 

I've read somewhere that there was a particular mowing deck back in the '80s that was maybe originally on vertical shaft tractors?

They wanted to be able to use it as a price competitive model or something so they offered it on the 300 series tractors with small wheels, only.

Ed Kennell
15 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've read somewhere that there was a particular mowing deck back in the '80s that was maybe originally on vertical shaft tractors?

They wanted to be able to use it as a price competitive model or something so they offered it on the 300 series tractors with small wheels, only.

I think Don is correct in thinking the short lived 6" wheels were a Wheel Horse cost cutting  idea.

Add that one to the bad design list with rubber mount engines, low fuel tanks, and tiny front wheels.

A vertical engine deck would require major mods to use on a 312.         I changed my 312 to 8" wheels mainly to get more lift for the snow blade and the front tiller.

The deck simply had to be releveled to bring the front back down.

• Like 1

Rick3478
52 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

A 37" two-blade deck was used on some 308, 310, and 312's.  And it would fit 314, 416, and 500's, but you can't turn left with 8" front wheels.  A good feature of this deck was an available rear bagger system that used a winged blade on the right side to give more push to clippings.  I have one on a 312-H that does a passable job of vacuuming leaves in Fall.

• Like 5

PapR's312-8
10 hours ago, TJ Salyers said:

Thank you.  I do like the look as well of extra ground clearance

PapR's312-8
4 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Welcome - nice work. Not the easiest thing to cut a 3/4" fine thread using a die by hand. Two things come to mind - it is almost impossible to get a clean die engagement if the end of the spindle is not chamfered or undercut first. ( you can afford to loose that first thread anyway) And, you need a sharp die with a decent cutting oil - along with steady hands....

Bill

How right you are about the chamfer. It took a while to get it going. Once I did it went well.  My die is from a Harbor Freight set. It has been hardly used so was quite sharp. I just used some motor oil I had in a old pump can. Seemed to be fine. 

• Like 2

kpinnc
On 9/20/2022 at 10:52 PM, PapR's312-8 said:

I had the idea to die-cut threads on the end of the axles then use castle nuts with cotter keys.

Those look great! :thumbs: