wh5208speed

Some see 👀 junk, I see 👀 treasure

wh5208speed

She is rough, but saved a rare one. Snuck across state line to snag this one. I may not be allowed back in Indiana after swiping to 520’s in the last 5 days.

5AFD7ADE-18E1-492B-92AD-9445187F2CE0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

TJ5208
15 minutes ago, wh5208speed said:

She is rough, but saved a rare one. Snuck across state line to snag this one. I may not be allowed back in Indiana after swiping to 520’s in the last 5 days.

5AFD7ADE-18E1-492B-92AD-9445187F2CE0.jpeg

How did i not see it.

Sparky

I’m starting to doubt the “rareness” of the 520-8 speed. 
  They’re all over the Big WH show in PA…countless members here have em …they pop up for sale all over. I think TORO/Wheel Horse produced way more than they claimed. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Docwheelhorse
22 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Their all over the Big WH show in PA…countless members here have em …they pop up for sale all over. I think TORO/Wheel Horse produced way more than they claimed. 

I've owned and sold 2 and they weren't hard to find. 

• Like 1

ri702bill
3 hours ago, Docwheelhorse said:

I've owned and sold 2 and they weren't hard to find. 

Ah. Tony, but were they hard to sell...??

wh500special
4 hours ago, Sparky said:

Their all over the Big WH show in PA…countless members here have em …they pop up for sale all over. I think TORO/Wheel Horse produced way more than they claimed. 

It does feel that way.  I’ve owned two of them and have passed on a couple. 

Ed from Toro verified the count for us at one point.  Only 225 serial numbers were issued and only in 1990 so that’s all there should be.  

I think their perceived commonality comes from them being new enough that they mostly haven’t deteriorated to a state that makes them unsalable by current owners, that they were so expensive new that they have been generally maintained in operational condition, and that most of

the original and seconds owners are turning them over now that they have gotten old and more people are retiring from mowing grass. 

My local dealer here in STL told me at one point that he figured he probably sold more 520-8’s than just about any other dealer.  He made it sound like they were poor sellers in general and a bunch of them became available at the end of the season at a good deal.  So he gladly passed them along to customers at a better price than a regular 520. He estimated that  he probably sold 25 of them. 

The whole point of the 20 hp engine really was to handle the 60” deck and the 44” two stage thrower.  Since the 8-speed omitted the hydraulic lift both of these attachments were literally an armful to lift.  Tasks where the manual transmission really shines - like tilling and front loader work - don’t use much power.  So it’s an odd combination I guess.

Steve

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 4

Pullstart

Maybe we need to start a registry… see how many 225 are left?

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

TJ5208
30 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Maybe we need to start a registry… see how many 225 are left?

I agree.

Alex175
13 hours ago, ri702bill said:

hard to sell...??

Sell tractors????? I didn't think that was an option...the concept makes my head hurt :confusion-seeingstars:

• Haha 2

Pullstart
18 hours ago, wh5208speed said:

swiping to 520’s in the last 5 days.

What’s the story on the other one?

Docwheelhorse
14 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Ah. Tony, but were they hard to sell...??

Nope... not at all... got REAL sick of taking top of carb off to clean jet to stop surging. Plus that Onan is just an expensive over-rated setup in my opinion. A C160-8 with a Kohler K341 is in my opinion the only way to fly

• Like 4

kpinnc
On 9/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, Sparky said:

I'm starting to think the same. Heck, I've seen more than one here in NC, and owned one myself- albeit a rotted corpse of a tractor when I got it.

If only 225 were built, they certainly found a way to strategically place them so everyone saw one... :confusion-scratchheadblue:

That being said wh5208speed, an intact machine like that is a very good find. 520-8 is a beast! I hope it's a good one for you!

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

wh5208speed
On 9/21/2022 at 8:12 AM, Pullstart said:

What’s the story on the other one?

Picked up a 520H with a 23hp Vanguard. The engine had low hours 15, but the tractor was a little rough. I bought it for the engine as I have a really nice 96' 520 that needs a transplant (bad valve seat).

Thad

• Like 1

wh5208speed
23 hours ago, Docwheelhorse said:

Nope... not at all... got REAL sick of taking top of carb off to clean jet to stop surging. Plus that Onan is just an expensive over-rated setup in my opinion. A C160-8 with a Kohler K341 is in my opinion the only way to fly

I've got a really nice original 520-8...and this one had a bad motor. My intent is to put a new M16 Kohler Magnum....which will be a sweet setup. 

• Excellent 1

bds1984
2 hours ago, wh5208speed said:

I've got a really nice original 520-8...and this one had a bad motor. My intent is to put a new M16 Kohler Magnum....which will be a sweet setup. 

It will be.  I have the 520's swept axle and gear reduction steering on my C165 and wouldn't trade it for the world.  It's a shame it never was an offering from the factory.