toma

522XI Engine removal for cleaning Instructions?

toma

Hi..The Kohler engine in my Ford New Holland GT22A (same as 522XI) is heating up and I read it needs to be removed for cleaning after a certain period of time.  Does anyone know where I can get the instructions to perform this task? Is it even possible to do at home by a mechanically inclined  person? I am not a mechanic. Thanks.

gwest_ca

It may be in the tractor service manual

Engine manuals

• Like 1

Pullstart

@JoeM or @shallowwatersailor, you out there?  Any tips and tricks?

WHX??

Ther are a couple of threads here from guys that had to do it. I can't seem to find them tho.  I do remember on reading them the engine has to be pulled which was fairly straightforward.  Then inspection plates can be installed to make it easier in the future. 

JoeM

not a job for everyone, but not too bad. 

This is the easiest way I found to remove the engine.

Remove mower and deck drive belt.

Disconnect and remove battery.

Remove the hood

Unbolt the drive shaft front an rear and move it out of the way.

Disconnect the electrical both sides of the engine. 

Turn off fuel and disconnect fuel line. 

Remove the four mounting bolts on the engine subplate. The left rear bolt is a stud that has a nut on the bottom underneath. 

You will need some way to lift the engine out it is heavy and a hoist or come a long is prefered. lifting eyes are provided on the top of the engine.

I do question the need to remove the engine to clean. I use compressed air with a tube attachment get 90% of the debris out of the engine shroud. Might have to remove fan screen to blow in the hard to reach areas. Follow up by a good degreasing especially around the oil pan area.

When mowing, my XI's temp gauge runs at the top end of the green in the gauge nearly in the red zone. Keeping the area in side around the driveshaft / air intake clean is essential to cooling. Also, blow in and around the transmission as a lot of dirt and debris accumulates there. 

• Like 1

toma

Just what I was looking for..Awesome! Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

If you decide to hoist the engine out, the oil pan drain line passes through a hole in the frame. You may even care to replace the factory drain with that funky valve and replace it with something like a Fumoto valve that you could attach a clear drain line. The internal baffle in the schroud is what prevents cleaning it 100%.