Jimway

New member here

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Absolutely marvelous story!

Pics would be helpful to identify the tractor.  

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti: and :text-yeahthat:

• Like 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  What a bout of stubbornness to get that thing retreived!  I like you already!  The 520! 60” deck! And tiller attachment are all great pieces of equipment.  You done well!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Sparky

:WRS:

Liquid cooled? Maybe not a 520-H but a 520XI :eusa-think:

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Achto

Looking forward to seeing some pictures. BTW any pictures during the recovery process? 

• Like 2

953 nut
6 hours ago, Jimway said:

the earth has become much harder than I remember. The air has become thinner also. I have detected an alarming increase in the force of gravity too.

Great introduction story, love the visuals.

I am well aware of these physiologic changes, they are related to OMS (old man syndrome) and all I can tell you for sure is that it doesn't get any better with age so you better get going on that 520 before things get any heavier.           :ychain:

Being a liquid cooled engine you probably have a 520 xi, if so this service manual will probably be helpful.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

520LXi :handgestures-thumbupright:

Those are tough beasts!

Except their front axle pivot pin…

• Like 3

rjg854

:WRS: @Jimway, love the retrieval story, and looking forward to some pictures.

• Like 3

oldlineman

:wwp:Welcome to the Forum, great info. and better people!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
13 hours ago, Jimway said:

Absolutely cant wait to get it cleaned up and see if it will actually function. I feel that it is going to be great adventure.

Hi! Welcome to our band of Red nuts... :greetings-waveyellow:

We hope you stay around for a while and give us lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of pictures!!! :banana-gotpics:

Don

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

:text-welcomewave: to the forum you’ll find lots of nice people that will hopefully provide solutions to problems you may have with your tractor 

• Like 1

cafoose
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

Hi! Welcome to our band of Red nuts... :greetings-waveyellow:

Only when you drive an RJ or Suburban :scared-eek:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Jim.

Thanks for the interesting intro story.     :banana-gotpics:  Pics are required.

• Like 2

sjoemie himself

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Oldskool

Welcome to the group. Sounds like quite an adventure you had, and congratulations on you find.

Can't wait to see pics of it.

• Like 1

Jimway

Thank you all so much for the kind words. Pics to follow shortly. The pallet that the machine was strapped to also had sides and a top and all of this undoubtedly contributed to saving the tractor. It has a dent in the back just below the seat. The seat is toast along with a rubber boot under the steering wheel. During the recovery I made use of a couple of trees, one at the lower end and one at the upper end. Attached pulleys to each of the tree trunks about 30 feet up and slung a cable between them, and then ran another pulley  down the cable and picked up the tractor which we put spreader bars under and pulled it right up the hill suspended 15 to 20 feet in the air, kind of like 'high lead logging'. Client was quite surprised to witness an old guy put on tree spurs and skinny up the trunk of a big fir tree. Tractor is fair sized and probably half a ton. I suspect that the odorous covering all over the machine is a mixture of used hay and grass clippings sprinkled amongst the droppings of cows, horses, and most likely pigs not to mention chickens. It appears to me that the owner of the property uses the area out behind the barn as a big compost pile. Client tells me that the tractor was on the back of a flatbed truck that was parked out back of the barn and everything went over the side when the waterlogged compost heap gave way. What a machine though. It may be newer than i first thought. Has a Kawasaki v twin liquid cooled engine in it that has a short driveline that goes to a hydrostatic pump attached to a cast iron rear transaxle, very robust looking. Hav'nt figured out the steering yet but the wheel spins free so there may be some damage down there. Looks like it has a high/low range in the trans axle. I think that the deck is raised and lowered hydraulically also. I'm very happy with the find and impressed with the engineering of the machine. It is just covered in mud and dirt and organic matter. I suspect that I'll be cleaning it for days. Could'nt help but race down to the the parts store and pick up a battery and key. I pulled the plugs and peeked down the bores and the engine is really clean. I removed more water than i would like to see when I drained the engine oil. Oil came out really clean though. I'm hoping that all of that water is just years of condensation. My chest was out to here when I gave it a little shot of fuel through the carb and it fired right off for a few revolutions. Carb is spotless inside. I can hear an electric fuel pump down somewhere when the key is turned on. Once I get the transaxle and hydraulic reservoir drained and refilled I'll flush the fuel line and see what happens. PS, I just looked at the manual above and there it is. Do we call it an XI series or a 520? I'm guessing that if we come up with a serial number we can get a build date. Thanks again to all.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

dcrage

Refer to it as “520 XI”. There were 4 or 5 different XIs made (different engines [Kohler, Kawasaki,..]; different sizes [18 hp, 20 hp, 22 hp,..] and even a diesel model 23 hp Vanguard(?). 520 is usually refers to the older 520-H and 520-8 models. 

Edited by dcrage
  • Like 1

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

What a great story and told by a great storyteller.  Good luck with the tractor and we’re all waiting for the pictures. 

• Like 1

ineedanother

Welcome to the stables :text-welcomeconfetti: and sharing the adventure :banana-parachute: Sounds like you're off to a great start!

• Like 1

Jimway

It's up and running. Lot's to sort out. Thing fired up in forward, so much to my surprise that a bad word escaped, and did it's best to run into 'The Silver Bullet' (my favorite pickup) so I need to figure out the neutral setting on the pedal control. Not a whole lot of power. Took a little bit of concentration on my part to get the mowing deck attached. I might need to procure an engineering degree to figure out the rototiller mounting when the time comes. I'm worried that I might be going back down the cliff for more parts that may have been scattered about. The machine mows for a short period and abruptly signals it's discontent with a backfire followed by a stall. It will fire right back up. This thing is a Cadillac though. There is nothing wrong with the steering, come to find out, as it is powered by the hydraulics. Even the mowing deck is fingertip control. I like it. Even has a gas gauge. I've got a new air filter element and fuel filter on the way. Hopefully this will help improve the machines temperament. No coolant in the oil so far. I think I darn near ran the well dry power washing it so that it doesn't smell like low tide at the chicken farm. I would like to pull the fenders and such to clean under there and get a look at the control setup.  

• Excellent 5

Pullstart

That rear fender is some thick stuff, make sure you use that logging cable to lift it off!  Great story follow ups!

• Like 1

Pullstart

It’s a terribly blurry picture, but under the left side of the seat should be your model/serial numbers!

BE56B972-2E19-494B-BD03-8C7EF41DED84.jpeg

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy
On 9/14/2022 at 2:20 PM, cafoose said:

Only when you drive an RJ or Suburban :scared-eek:

@cafoose what if your rj is orange :eusa-think:

cafoose
13 hours ago, The Freightliner Guy said:

@cafoose what if your rj is orange :eusa-think:

Orange or red or any other color don't get too close to the heat of the engine :happy-bouncyredfire:

• Thanks 1