41chevy

Fused amp gauge on b80

41chevy

I’m thinking about putting a fuse in the amp meter line on my b 80, which line and what size fuse should I use? Thx

953 nut

The typical wiring on the B and C series has a 25 amp fuse installed in the red wire coming from the battery side of the solenoid to the ammeter.

• Like 1

8ntruck

If you have a 15 amp alternator on yor engine, a fuse would need to be at least 15 amps.

Not quite sure why you would want a fuse in line with your amp meter.  If it blew, it would leave you running on your battery.

Opinion here from a retired mechanical engineer with just enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous........   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

953 nut

@8ntruck, FYI, the 15 amp charging system is nominal and can exceed that value quite easily. I think the fuse protection @41chevy was seeking was going from the battery to the ignition switch wiring.

9 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Opinion here from a retired mechanical engineer with just enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous......

I am a former electrician and know just enough about mechanical engineering to be dangerous so we are a pair.        :ychain:    :unsure:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  I do know that electrical things will work until the magic smoke gets released!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

pfrederi

Older WHs didn't have any fuses and most of them didn't catch fire...

• Like 3

41chevy

Thanks for the reply guys, my concern was a wire fire. I go with what Paul said and forget about it.

• Like 3

Achto

When I restore a tractor I always put a 30amp fuse in the wire that provides power from the battery to the ignition switch. If there is an amp meter the fuse is installed between the battery & the amp meter. I figure that it is better to blow a fuse than take the chance of burning up the wiring. I use a spade type in line fuse with a sealed holder.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk
13 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

If you have a 15 amp alternator on yor engine, a fuse would need to be at least 15 amps.

Not quite sure why you would want a fuse in line with your amp meter.  If it blew, it would leave you running on your battery.

Opinion here from a retired mechanical engineer with just enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous........   

If you put the fuse inline with the ammeter and it blew you would kill power to the ignition switch and the engine would shut off on a battery ignition model. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
14 minutes ago, squonk said:

If you put the fuse inline with the ammeter and it blew you would kill power to the ignition switch and the engine would shut off on a battery ignition model. 

True, but the magic smoke would not escape the wires!

13 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-yeahthat:  I do know that electrical things will work until the magic smoke gets released!

• Like 1

squonk
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

True, but the magic smoke would not escape the wires!

If you put the fuse right off the solenoid wire that feeds the ammeter the wires are protected.

• Like 1

953 nut
13 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The typical wiring on the B and C series has a 25 amp fuse installed in the red wire coming from the battery side of the solenoid to the ammeter.

Is there an echo in here?                           :ychain:

9 minutes ago, squonk said:

If you put the fuse right off the solenoid wire that feeds the ammeter the wires are protected.

• Like 1

squonk

Hellooo!!!!:)

🇦🇺 Visit Echo Point lookout in Blue Mountains for stunning views of The  Three Sisters and Valleys - YouTube

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ri702bill
14 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Older WHs didn't have any fuses and most of them didn't catch fire...

Evidently, Dad's 702 is not one of them - had the steering wheel shaft abrade thru the 50 year old OE wiring about 10 years ago - lost the S/G voltage regulator in the process, along with the toastacated wiring. I have added 25 Amp fuses in weather proof holders to both the C81 and the 854 8 speed. just because....

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Heatingman
On 9/13/2022 at 5:58 PM, 8ntruck said:

Thats when the engineering starts. 

mmmm…how to get that smoke back in…