Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'l head'.
Found 1 result
So I decided to upgrade my 308-8 and do an engine swap. Main reason being the 8 horse Kohler struggles with the snowblower. It's a great engine, just not quite enough hp. Just about every machine I have has a Briggs in it and I've never had a problem with any of them. So I thought why not drop an opposed twin in the big horse. After searching for awhile, I found an 18 horse out of a workhorse on eBay. Had the pto and engine mount I needed on it. Turned out to be too far gone to rebuild, just flat wore out. A few months later I got a nearly identical engine off a buddy for free, he was going to scrap it. Long story short (too late!) I am making one engine out of 2. The carb, tins, oil pan, and air cleaner housing are off the junk engine. The junk engine was a 1983, the rebuilt one is a 1984. Parts are very hard to find for this engine anymore, lots of late nights searching eBay. Model is 422437, splash lube ball bearing 12v electric start horizontal shaft. The free engine I started with. It sat outside for a few years. After some tinkering and the carb and oil pan off the other engine, she fired right up! Disassembly The timing pin on both engines was worn, almost sheared off on the junk one. Briggs only used this for a few years before going to an 1/8inch woodruff key after. It is very apparent it was a weak point. Had to drill out the old one.