Sign in to follow this  
jerrell

new garden

jerrell

:drool: here is my new garden style,

082.jpg069.jpg

075.jpg079.jpg

080.jpg

:omg: since the weather has been so bad down here and it takes so long for my ground to dry out i have decided to change my style of garden to make it easier for me to work, in the pic you can see i have 23 barrels cut into 1/3 , (total of 69)each about 16in deep, i use dead straw,(round bales at least 4 years old,) i lay down about 4 ot 6 in of straw, then put donnafil in to about 3 to 5 in, the fill the rest of the way with peat humus, place the plants (as yet sitting on my dining table until the threat of frost is over) and the seeds into the peat humus and cover about 1 in of donna fil, i have a 3/4 in pvc pipe that will go down the center of each row to control watering, and have covered the ground between the rows with straw to keep grass down or out and to stay out of the mud.

plan on 4 big plants to each barrel and many small seed to a barrel,

still plan on the reg garden but not as big as i had planned before the rainy season began, lots of neighbors that have a little higher ground has had to replant their gardens because the ground is so wet and the plants, seeds have rotted. this also makes it easier as there is no hoeing, little weeding, no chemicals, and i don't have to bend over as much.. will keep you posted on the progress, also notice the color scheme :drool:

MaineDad

Very interesting! I'll be watching for updates on this one...

CasualObserver

Jerrell... i fixed your pics for you.

Nice idea... will be interesting to see how it turns out. Please keep this thread going so we can watch! :omg:

KyBlue

Should be neat to follow along with. if it ever stops raining long enough, I have three gardens to till... Argh!!!

Jerrell - did ya ever get those trailers or did the seller back out??

Rollerman

Interesting setup Jerrell, can't wait to see updates on your results.

Curious where did you pick up on this idea...word of mouth, website , or book?

I'd like to read up on it.

Also like Scot asked...how did you ever make out on the trailer deal?

jerrell

:omg: Hi guys, i got the idea from my dad, we did this in our barn when i was a kid, we would start the plants but i always had to transplant them and some of them were not used and they grew out just fine. some of the left overs did better than the transplanted ones.

i know they will do OK the only problem area would be the watering, and i think i have that covered with each barrel getting watered regularly. another area is what plants to mix to maximize the use of each barrel.

i have been trying to find someone to help for the last week and seems i have found someone , no one wants to work?? i plan to have all the barrels filled today and will wait until next week to get the plants in, still a danger of frost here,

On the trailers , that guy backed out and sold them each for 800.00 , He told me 250.00 for both because he couldn't sell them, now everyone is trying to find them, i see a lot of them now on farms around here and on ebay now. the companies used to cut the used ones up for scrap.

Mike

I grew up in Hot Springs, on Lake Hamilton.

With all the rocks, we had a hard time growing grass. :omg:

I'm sure if my Mom would have seen this, she would have tried it.

Buzz

Two questions:

1/ What is donnafil and what is the advantage to using it instead of potting soil or topsoil?

2/ Do you have a link to the thread about the trailers? I'm lost :drool:

Other than those questions it looks like a good way to have a garden in a problem area. :omg: Please keep us informed.

Rollerman

For you Buzz.....

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7823&hl=

This is what I came up with for Donna Fill.... :drool:

http://www.donnafill.com/

Jerrell...looks like you may have to many barrels for this, but could you use some capped water hose with holes put in the hose itself over the barrels for a drip system?

Just a Rube Goldberg thought I guess. :omg:

I supose an elavated sprinkler would be a lot easier. :drool:

Buzz

Thanks Stephen, now I remember those trailers. Still unclear on why donnafil is being used unless you're worried about the plants shifting...........

jerrell

:drool: i couldn't find anyone willing to work around here, so yesterday my wife and son and i got out there and filled the barrels with the donnafil and peat humus, did all the barrels and today i'm taking it easy, :drool: am so sore i don't know which to sit or lay down, everthing hurts,,, but got all the straw between the barrels to keep the grass down and no mud, and we got the feed line for the pvc watering system all glued together buried and in place. have 3 46 ft lengths of pipes running down the center of each row, now have to figure out how to drill the pipe so each barrel will be covered evenly. :omg:

yesterday was nice and warm, more strong storms are RX this pm, just had a dangerous weather fri nite and expected more today, killed 3 people in Mena Ar, last fri. and hear TN got it also...

on why donnafil, it holds moisture and will actually suck water from the ground, the fine grit holds moisture and allows roots to move easily into the crevices and are stronger and healthier, also when and if there is any grass that needs weeding you can pull the weed and the roots out easily and there is very little weeding ever needed. with the donnafil on the bottom , peat humus in the middle and a 1in layer of donnafil on top the plant will have a very good water supply and the roots actually grow down into the donnafil. strong healthy roots makes a better plant

HorseFixer

Jerrell are those spartan chemical barrels? Just wondering Ive seen them at work?

Oh and great Idea on the garden :omg:

jerrell

:omg: the barrels contained a disinfective for schools floors, walls , my wife (school bus driver) picks up about 4 a month,

i have the barrels ready to go and have beets, corn, onions and potatoes already planted, was waiting for better weather down here, picked up the pvc to make the stakes out of, the tomato stakes in the stores all are over a dollar each, so brainstormed some and thought pvc pipe should do and can make 3 stakes for 83 cents. need 60 of them 1/2 by 32 in, can be saved and never wear out..

jerrell

:omg: 007.jpg

it finally cleared up enough for me to get things finished, here are the stakes and the plants in the ground

here is the watering system, have 3 cut off valves , one for each line and can run all three together if wanted. have lots of pressure and i use it to trickle the water , 4 holes into each barrel

009.jpg