Ed Kennell

A Sobering Day

Ed Kennell

I spent  the day with my son Mark (51yo) as he received his first seven hour chemo treatment. today.

In early July, Mark was hospitalized with chest pains and numbness in his right arm.  After the normal EKGs, and stress tests, it was determined his symptoms were due to stress and anxiety.

Due to the numbness, a CAT scan was done to check for a blood clot.  This CAT scan did not show any blood clot, but showed a spot on his right lung and thyroid.   A tissue sample was taken from the thyroid spot and it tested benign.  The spot on the lung was too close to his heart to risk taking a sample, so a PET scan was ordered and it lit up both spots indicating unusual cells.   Surgery was scheduled to surgically obtain a specimen of the lung spot.  It tested malignant so approx. 20% of his right lung and six surrounding lymph nodes were removed.   One of the six nodes tested malignant, so three months of chemo treatment started today.

A little background on Mark:   He is an athlete,  playing baseball, basketball, and football in high school and played baseball in the local adult semipro league.  He is an avid hiker and white water kayaker.

Has been coaching his two sons baseball travel team for five years.   He never smoked and had his new log home tested for Radon when he built it.     The answer we get when we ask the medical staff why he got cancer is ,bad luck.     Mark does have a history of kidney stones, having to pass one about ever 5-6 years.  After the lung surgery, he remembered getting a CAT scan during one of his kidney episodes, and reported it to his surgeon.   He located the CAT scan that was taken in 2011 and it showed the spot on his lung.  It was noted and measured by the radiologist, but never reported.  At that time it measures 6mm dia.  in 2011.   When it was removed two weeks ago, it measured 14 mm dia.

Sorry for the long story guys,    Remember to hug your kids and grandkids.    No one is bullet proof.

• Like 2
  • Sad 9

JAinVA

Always tougher when it is one of your children.I hope it works out for your son.I'm sure you have the support of all of us here in the WH community.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

stevebo

Ed,

So sorry to hear about this. What is not acceptable to me and I am sure you and your family is that it was on the scan in 2011 and they never even saw it. Unacceptable.... Keep supporting him and pray for him. Prayers coming your way. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Jerry77

Sorry about all of that  Ed, for Mark and your family - will keep you and  yours in my prayers for remission and bearing up to the chemo....my twin boys are 53 and I know that anything can happen....God is good...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell

My heart is with you Ed! Lost my Dad to it, but they can do so much these days and my Dad did not have a real bad experience with the chemo, hopefully your Son will get through his without getting too sick.  His being in good shape is bound to be a good thing! 

Randy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

dclarke

Sorry to hear this Ed, I'll keep Mark and your family in my prayers. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Ed, I will include Mark and your family in my prayers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Daddy Don

Take good care of him and tell him every day how much you love him. Good luck with the treatments and keep the faith. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

CasualObserver

Prayers sent Ed. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Prayers Ed...been ther done that so I know what yer sayin......

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

roadapples

Wishing the best for Mark and strength for the rest of the family. 

Prayers sent...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

McGrew

Ed, we have never met, but I feel i know you through your posts, as I do with many on this site.  Prayers sent for your son and his family. Cancer is hard on the family,as well as the patient.  Help Mark to stay positive.  Attitude is everything!  Danny

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

r356c

Prayers now and daily for Mark, Ed.

I have held an interest in nutrition for a long time. (Thanks Mom!) She made it to 96.

I went full-on vegan for the last 8 days on a whim. Damn, I miss Walmart traditional rotisserie chicken! I'll get a lipid panel of blood drawn this week to see if there was any benefit.

Rabbit food generally sucks. I know I am not getting enough protein.

From my self-induced drive for info on whole food plant based diets, I stumbled upon nutritionfacts.org.

This doc knows his stuff. My bull s--t meter never went off once while watching many hours of his videos.

His research centers around cancer and heart disease prevention through diet.

• Thanks 1

Sparky

Prayers and best wishes for Mark.

My younger brother, just turned 50, and he has already had a couple bouts with cancer. Really sucks.

• Thanks 1

Achto

I'll keep Mark in my prayers, hope all turns out well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Prayers for your son and family.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Ed, that is so sad to hear.  As a younger father, watching my 8 year old recently in the hospital for a few days due to kidney issues was a true test of strength and faith.  My thoughts and prayers go out to yours and Mark’s family.  It’s so hard to see your children suffer, no matter the reason.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

JC 1965

Prayers just sent for Mark,his family and for you Ed and your family. You guys will remain in my prayers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stormin

I can understand how you feel. Three years back eldest grandson was diagnosed with cancer at 24yrs of age. In and out of hospital and at one point we thought we would lose him. He feared most of losing his navy career. To cut a long story short. The navy took really good care of him and the doctors and staff at Newcastle.

He's now back at work after two years of treatment and leading a normal life again. Through all of the worry and fear, his girlfriend stood by him and they got married last weekend.

I wish all the best for your son and all your family.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Racinbob

Nancy and my prayers are with you and all of your family. Please God, give Mark the strength to fight this evil and make a full recovery. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

shallowwatersailor

We will be thinking of Mark and your family, Ed. He will be in our prayers..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy

Wishing you and your family the best. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

rmaynard

I think all of us know of someone who is the picture of health and then gets diagnosed with cancer. And on the other side of the coin is the dude with an unhealthy lifestyle, who smokes, drinks, doesn't get any exercise, works with asbestos all day, who lives to 100.

It doesn't seem fair.

My best thoughts and wishes to you, Mark, and the whole team of doctors, family members, and friends who will be supporting him. There is strength in numbers, and the RedSquare family is a BIG number.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Ed, prayers for you, Mark and the rest of your family, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

cafoose

image.png.e41cec4f3b6c8af75e13bf6a78864693.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1