Manny Bartek

1054 Transmission Rebuild

Manny Bartek

Thanks for tip / encouragement !!

stevasaurus

I tried calling you Manny...should have my number in your phone.  Call when you get a chance.  :)

One thing that comes to mind where some might have a problem...when you place the 1st shift fork, you have to line it up so the fork is over the input shaft.  You also have to lift that 1st shift fork and when you place the ball then the spring with stop and then the 2nd ball, the shift shaft is raised so the ball seats in the neutral detente.  This permits the detente assembly to seat all the way into the tunnel between the two shafts.  Using a 1/8" Allen wrench to hold the detente mechanism in place...start the 2nd shift fork shaft down to the Allen wrench.  The 1/8" will leave 1/8" left of the 1/4" tunnel, so you can remove the wrench and insert the shaft the rest of the way.    I know...sounds easy doesn't it.    :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lane Ranger

I always will remember my dad, brother and I  working on rebuilding a 1054 transmission and getting ready to install the spring , rod and detent blass in the transmission on a Saturday afternoon outside on our big steel workbench.

We  must have tried getting the balls loaded six or seven times before stopping late n a Saturday afternoon.     At the dinner table we were discussing the problem and although we have rebuilt other Wheel Horse transmissions and completed this job successfully before we were stymied !

My mother then made a suggestion , "why don't you try using a a bamboo chopstick"  she said.

We just kind of looked at each other.

Next morning mom brought out a chop stick and we decided to try it.  It the end of the stick broke it would be fiber not metal and would not hurt anythign.    

We tried it and it worked first time and perfectly to hold and install the detent balls!

039 (2).JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 4

Manny Bartek

Thanks to all  of you for your advice , will keep you posted / photo's to fallow …...

• Like 1

JeffC

I have the same Tractor with the 5047 transmission. the same you have in your photo.  does anyone know where to get a new gasket for the Transmission case after you pull it apart and what Type of transmission fluid to put back in.  I am experiencing the same problems as you including reverse.

Is there a fix, case gasket and transmission fluid type?  Your help would be very much appreciated.

Edited by JeffC