Sign in to follow this  
peter lena

Lawn Aeration

peter lena

built these over 30 years ago as a millwright, for lawn aeration and to break up thatch. Made them to be bombproof ,after experiencing a briny hardy spikier that was junk. 6" welded channel for base frame along with seal master pillow block bearings , welded all the spikier wheels from 1/4" flat steel, 3/4" s/s axel sleeves for hardened axel. use bush vacuum pump rotors for slotted weight that traps in channel. 90lb and 190lb. regularly tow one of them with out weight when cutting, lawn is soft and grows well. birds follow after spiking , for worms. I replaced a few of the spike wheels after 30 years, wearing down. they have never failed , combine them with a clean deck and sharp blades, and lawn looks very good. I tandem them with 270 lb. weight after a rain , my lawn looks like a strafing  run, thousands of oblong holes. that's what I did today, pete

IMG_0203.JPG

IMG_0204.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0206.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Tankman

Very nice! I often wonder how many never perform lawn aeration or remove thatch? I use a spring tooth dethatcher often. Necessary for the lawn to breathe.

Use my blower or rake to clear the thatch off the lawns.

Apply sand to the lawns, the soil will absorb (swallow) the sand improving drainage. Sod will grow thicker, sand application called "golf course mix". :handgestures-thumbupright:

Found a nice 48" wide spring tooth dethatcher, craigslist, cheap. Manufacturer out of biz.

Dethatch_520-8.jpg.4e4f9f54f4b46c16ce21df0b9d3e8266.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

peter lena

that's a good detacher on a solid frame with good wheels , like from another planet, nothing like that today, that's why I built mine. I use my 28" spiker more than my 40", unless the lawn calls for it, they both tow without effort and just finish off a lawn like it should be. I also never cut it the same way to avoid lines. found if you cut with the drive by line, you won't see the cutting lines , but if you cut vertically against the sight line the lines stand out. also regularly clean out and aireate my deck along with sharp blades , for a good look, good cutting , tankman , Pete