dells68

64 lawn ranger deck bearings

dells68

I need to replace the spindle bearings on Emory's lawn ranger.  Does anyone know what part number those bearings would be?  His spindles now have some play and can be heard a 1/2 mile away!  He loves to mow with it!

953 nut

Presuming it is a gear drive deck this should get you going in the right direction. Those needle bearings should be easy to come by, measure them up and go to any good industrial supply house.

Edited by 953 nut
  • Thanks 1

Marv

if I remember correctly they are wheel horse pn 1508

marv

squonk

There are flat needle bearings under the spindle gear. There are a cylindrical style needle bearings on the lower spindle shaft. There are roller bearings on the cross shaft. Have you taken it apart yet? The gears may be shot along with excessive spindle shaft wear. Also when the cross shaft bearings start to go the can wear down the bearing supports along with the shaft.  I would get it apart before the show to see how bad everything is or maybe look for another deck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

I did pull the wear covers off and the gears and shaft bearings seem ok.  The spindles are loose and NOISEY!  Found the bearings, but I want to pull it apart before I order any parts.  I do have an old suburban deck.  Are the parts interchangeable?  Suburban deck has been cut and bent anyway.

953 nut
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

old suburban deck.  Are the parts interchangeable?

It wouldn't be a direct replacement, the Suburban decks had a welded plate bearing support and they went to cast iron by 64. Blades had these little bolt on tabs for cutting edges, lots of stuff changed. Think you will be better off fixing what you have.

• Thanks 1

Lane Ranger

I am pretty sure these bearings are Torrington B-1212 needle bearings for the Lawn Ranger gear driven deck.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68
18 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

I am pretty sure these bearings are Torrington B-1212 needle bearings for the Lawn Ranger gear driven deck.

Thanks @Lane Ranger!  That's the bearings I was thinking were needed!

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

That is what I used on my RM-116  Lawn Ranger deck ten years ago when I  rebuilt the spindles.

And I used a large diameter dowell rod to place these bearings in the shaft as the needle bearings do not like metal to metal contact when pounding them in. 

These Torrington B-1212 bearings were used in more things than anyone can imagine in World War II .  I bought a dozen for $5 dollars on Ebay years ago.   They were still wrapped in the wax paper they were originally stored in.   I still have four that still have the wax paper around them from 75 years ago !

019.JPG

020.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Excellent 1

squonk

if the bearings are that bad there is a good chance your spindles are worn down and will need replacing.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2