ebinmaine

1974 c-160 8 speed crunching noises at wheel bearing

ebinmaine

This particular tractor has probably never seen a fluid change. Like many of them, it had basically chocolate mousse or pudding coming out the transmission when I flushed it.

I got the hubs off and did some diesel flushing to it. 4 times through actually.

I have wheel seals to put into it but the cleaner the fluid comes out the louder the rotational crunching is at the wheel bearing.

Seems that there is some granules of crap sitting in the bottom of the case right where the wheel bearing sets because if I pull up on the axle shaft and turn it there is no noise.

I'm assuming I'm going to have to remove this transmission and flush it from the inside out or something.

As with most of the stuff on these wheel horses, this is going to be a new experience for me. I know that there is a thread or two here that tells you how to do it but I'll be darned if I can find it on the search engine on my little phone.

@stevasaurus, if you would be so kind as to point me to that link I would greatly appreciate it.

Any and all help or advice from anyone would be also - greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Eric, you are in for a treat.  By flushing the trans a few times, you have made the job a lot cleaner and more pleasant.  Yes, you are going to have to drop the transmission and open it up.  You should have the #5091 8 speed transmission...it is an 8 pinion differential.  Look on the main page and find the "Wheel Horse Reference" section...see the "Instructional Threads and Videos" section and click on Transmissions..I have a thread that does the limited slip #5060 transmission.  You can use that thread to walk through and rebuild your transmission.  The differential is about the only difference...yours is easier.  We can go from there...plenty of help for what you have going on.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Along with the #5060 thread, it is a good idea to use this manual...Section V for your transmission.  Reading this section and using the videos, you will not have any problems getting into your transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine

Awesome guys! Thanks!

• Like 1