kbert1171

wont start

kbert1171

had to jump it the first time after getting it out after winter. started right away and ran fine while i mowed. tried again last week and nothing. battery has charge according to my multi meter. doesnt make a sound or even attempt to try and turn over. tried to jump the switch and nothing. any suggestions on where to go next.

rmaynard

What is the voltage reading across your battery? Did you remember to disengage the PTO, depress the clutch, sit on the seat (if it has a seat safety switch)?

What is the model number so we can be a little more specific on possible causes?

:WRS:

• Like 1

KC9KAS

@kbert1171 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Tuneup

What model? You're hinting that the tractor has the old, rugged Ford solenoid jump the switch). So, you jumped from the (+) of the battery to the center terminal and, nothing? You should at least hear the solid click of the solenoid. If not, and the solenoid is well grounded, problem = solenoid. If it clicks and there is no starter and again all the grounds and connections are clean and cables good, dead starter. Does the voltage on the battery drop when attempting to start? If yes, no more than a couple of volts for a good battery. This is how I would approach it. Like many here, these machines need TLC on their wiring and grounds. Good luck!

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:     The first thing you need to do is clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds. You probably should have the battery load tested, any auto parts store will do it.

Retired Wrencher

kbert1171 :WRS: As you can see you have some good help here all ready. Just follow all the above.:text-yeahthat:

• Like 1

bottjernat1

if you ever need anymore help i am a big wheelhorse nut and i live in avilla. just give me a holler!

kbert1171

Pretty sure the starter needs rebuilt. Where is the best place to have this done, in the Kendallville area? 

pfrederi

For a regular bendix type starter on a Kohler replacement with an after market unit will probably be cheaper.  MY starter generator guy doesn't work on the small engine units like these. 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:

:wwp:!!!

bottjernat1
49 minutes ago, kbert1171 said:

Pretty sure the starter needs rebuilt. Where is the best place to have this done, in the Kendallville area? 

i will have to do some digging there is an amish guy north of us that does it. my late dad use to use busco auto electric in churubusco but the guy was pricey and rude. you might try county line engine just outside of rome city. also depending on the starter i may have a used one id sell you cheap. you can private message me on here or facebook. i can give you my number. hope this helps 

bottjernat1
55 minutes ago, kbert1171 said:

i will have to do some digging there is an amish guy north of us that does it. my late dad use to use busco auto electric in churubusco but the guy was pricey and rude. you might try county line engine just outside of rome city. also depending on the starter i may have a used one id sell you cheap. you can private message me on here or facebook. i can give you my number. Here is a map where county line engine is.  https://www.mapquest.com/us/indiana/county-line-engine-357948739