Jump to content
oliver2-44

A Little Trip.......7 Screws and a Plate Later

Recommended Posts

 

Everyone ask me "what's the story". But I don't have a good one to tell.:

i went out to the shop after Supper to work on a carb cleaning and valve adjustment on my 1974 C-160.  Made good progress and about 9pm I wrapped up and headed for the house. Moments later I found myself tripping over the patio recliner, doing some aerobatics and landing flat on the concrete. I had went to the shop before dark so I had not turned the patio lights on. Now, It was a dark night and the solar lights that should have been lighting the patio walkway were dead since they were over a year old.  

For the next 3 days I limped at work thinking my right foot was just bruised. Seeing the swelling was not going down I went to my Family Physician. He ran his hand across my ankle/lower leg and imeciately said it was broken. X-rays and a visit to a Orthopedic Foot Specialist confirmed surgery was needed. In the 1st photo below you can see the plate and six screws. that clamp the candy cane spiral break back together. In the 2nd photo you can just make out the long angled screw that pulls my small leg bone down tight toward the ankle. 

Surgery was last Thursday and mildly painful for a few days. Now, Im doing better, My wonderful wife is taking excellent care of me (although she had already said I wont be slipping out to the shop with my crutches) and the good lord is always with me. Lots of couch time and learning to walk on crutches. I will be off work at least 4 weeks and on crutches up to 8 weeks. 

This is my 1st broken bone  in my 61 years.    Hard to grasp that I did it by tripping where I walk every day 

 

image.jpeg.ea5baa7d7c9557e0d4565abcaf295764.jpeg

 

image.jpeg.5f9bde6d78e876fc1251d7b2cc859267.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad it wasn't worse, heal fast

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OUCH! That was painful to read!

  Glad to hear your on the mend. Maybe some motion triggered floods :think: ....

 

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch. Does that mean a new :wh: project or no wheel horse at all? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope your recovery is fast , spring is around the corner ,just covered in snow and ice now. Get as much rest as you can .

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sparky yes, definitely will be installing some motion triggered lights.

@Tractor boy While Im laid up, I really need the carb job/tune-up finished on  my C-160.  My right foot may be injuries, but with the C-160,s large Motion Control lever on the right side of the console I could be mobile again.  I could drive my WH all around the neighbor hood and practice being retired  around here 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

1st broken bone  in my 61 years.

Welcome to the Titanium Club!  :text-coolphotos:      Hope your recovery is swift and complete.   You've earned the T Shirt!     :ychain:

Image result for getting old ain't for sissies

  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@oliver2-44 Sorry to hear about this accident.

I'm here to tell you that old bones are brittle and it takes longer for us to heal!

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sparky said:

OUCH! That was painful to read!

 

 

 

X-2 ^^^

Get better :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you're feeling better.    :thumbs2:

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ouch! Well all I can say is you are lucky to be in Texas. Those plates and screws are a royal pain in the wherever in cold weather. 

 

Glad you are feeling better. 

 

15 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Welcome to the Titanium Club! 

 

Didn't we discuss having Karl create a special badge for we titanium bearers?

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:scared-eek:               Could always post a new avatar!                         :ychain:

5acce8e550085_xray1.jpg.9f70f9fbaedc13dffdd17bbb5bcc88e4.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do need to update my Avatar, but I'll stick with something more cheerful than my new designer hardware 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Ouch! Well all I can say is you are lucky to be in Texas. Those plates and screws are a royal pain in the wherever in cold weather. 

 

Glad you are feeling better. 

 

 

Didn't we discuss having Karl create a special badge for we titanium bearers?

 

2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:scared-eek:               Could always post a new avatar!                         :ychain:

5acce8e550085_xray1.jpg.9f70f9fbaedc13dffdd17bbb5bcc88e4.jpg

 

 

 

On 4/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, oliver2-44 said:

 

Everyone ask me "what's the story". But I don't have a good one to tell.:

i went out to the shop after Supper to work on a carb cleaning and valve adjustment on my 1974 C-160.  Made good progress and about 9pm I wrapped up and headed for the house. Moments later I found myself tripping over the patio recliner, doing some aerobatics and landing flat on the concrete. I had went to the shop before dark so I had not turned the patio lights on. Now, It was a dark night and the solar lights that should have been lighting the patio walkway were dead since they were over a year old.  

For the next 3 days I limped at work thinking my right foot was just bruised. Seeing the swelling was not going down I went to my Family Physician. He ran his hand across my ankle/lower leg and imeciately said it was broken. X-rays and a visit to a Orthopedic Foot Specialist confirmed surgery was needed. In the 1st photo below you can see the plate and six screws. that clamp the candy cane spiral break back together. In the 2nd photo you can just make out the long angled screw that pulls my small leg bone down tight toward the ankle. 

Surgery was last Thursday and mildly painful for a few days. Now, Im doing better, My wonderful wife is taking excellent care of me (although she had already said I wont be slipping out to the shop with my crutches) and the good lord is always with me. Lots of couch time and learning to walk on crutches. I will be off work at least 4 weeks and on crutches up to 8 weeks. 

This is my 1st broken bone  in my 61 years.    Hard to grasp that I did it by tripping where I walk every day 

 

image.jpeg.ea5baa7d7c9557e0d4565abcaf295764.jpeg

 

image.jpeg.5f9bde6d78e876fc1251d7b2cc859267.jpeg

Jim, Bob, and Richard, I don't know how comforting this is, but at least you know you can get some of your parts thru McMaster Carrs catalog or your local Ace hardware :handgestures-thumbupright:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, clueless said:

you can get some of your parts thru McMaster Carrs catalog or your local Ace hardware

The parts acquisition is no problem.  Installation requires a bit of skill!         :ychain:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Didn't we discuss having Karl create a special badge for we titanium bearers?

 

Remember, back in the day...

when we obtained titanium for the SR-71 project?

8063128.jpg.9423b5213844a5cbbdae660f6932a52b.jpg

:rolleyes: Might this just be, our new badge?  :ychain:

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:rolleyes: Just some simple surgery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Ollie but no sympathy here, went down hard on some ice with a ice storm we had here awhile back and totally ripped up a left rotator cuff. Surgery on 4/19 but hey.... will be (hopefully) back in action for tractor shows this summer including the BS! :greetings-clappingyellow: Thankfully I got  a good doc who did a bang up job on the right one. 

The back of my truck to a customers steps...all glare ice carrying  a 50 lb tool sack and parts. Then I be stupid enough to go chasing fish on a frozen lake like this!

Hope you mend  well.

20180223_101357.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee ..thanks Ollie :lol: ..sure you don't  want me to send some stuff your way? I know some members  that can do sone weather dances :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there!  9 screw & fixation plate kit installed! 

Goodnews is I can't tell which ankle got it!  Good as new! 

 

Good luck to you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope your healing up well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks

i got the cast off last week and am beginning to put a little weight on it

slow and steady as she goes!

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×