OneHorse

'76 B-60 spindles

OneHorse

Hi folks,  just joined,  looks like an awesome site !

First question is:   which spindle would be correct ?    My left spindle has a snap-ring,  my right spindle has a 3/8" bolt & washer ?

2nd question:  Would anyone know what year Kohler changed the shape of the blower housing ?

Reason I ask is I found out the B-60 was re-powered w/ a '92 K-181-T.   Also would a K 181 housing fit on a K 161 ?

Thank You

pfrederi

Welcome

Snap rings were original to the B-60...however WH over the years also used the Bolt type and even cotter pins.  I prefer the bolt type myself but they all work.

Can't help on the blower housing .

• Like 1

Racinbob

My 76 has the bolts but it looks like they changed to snap rings in 77. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they used both though.

I'm no help on the housing either. I thought they would interchange but the part numbers are different. :)

• Like 1

KC9KAS

WHX??

I think Racin Bob hit the nail on the head

:WRS:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Geez! Normally it's my thumb. :huh:

• Haha 2

clueless
16 hours ago, Racinbob said:

My 76 has the bolts but it looks like they changed to snap rings in 77. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they used both though.

I'm no help on the housing either. I thought they would interchange but the part numbers are different. :)

My 77 B-80 has snap rings. Original.

• Like 1

OneHorse

Hey, Thanks Guys !

So,  I'm thinking about drilling and tapping the snap-ring side to 3/8"-16.   The bolt/washer side just fits better (less wheel slop).

And maybe I'm confused about the blower housings.   Correct me if I'm wrong,  The Magnums had the squared-off looking housings but the K-181 and 161 never did change shape...

My '76 B-60

100_4122.JPG

pfrederi

3/4" shims of differing thicknesses will get your front wheels on in good shape.  You do not want drag when the bolt is tightened nor do you want a lot of in/out play

OneHorse

Hey Thanks,  Since that post, I found the correct washer for behind the snap-ring.

Oh, and the Force emblem is coming off next week.  I ordered decals from Terry.

• Like 1

Racinbob
On 4/8/2018 at 4:59 PM, OneHorse said:

Hey, Thanks Guys !

So,  I'm thinking about drilling and tapping the snap-ring side to 3/8"-16.   The bolt/washer side just fits better (less wheel slop).

And maybe I'm confused about the blower housings.   Correct me if I'm wrong,  The Magnums had the squared-off looking housings but the K-181 and 161 never did change shape...

My '76 B-60

Yea, Magnum 8's are squared off too. :)

5ad1f82d6f006_Magnum8.jpg.576c8128885aed5560d56f719e59e885.jpg

• Like 1