Carts2Wheels

Charger - 12 stopped moving while plowing

Carts2Wheels

I'm a newbie and I'm sure this has been asked/answered somewhere so I apologize in advance.

I have a 1968 Charger 12 Automatic.  I was plowing snow last week (and had been at it for about 10-15 minutes when a pretty big pile formed in front of the blade, it bogged down a bit and then I felt a slight bump and it quit moving in either forward or reverse.  This was on a slight decline on my driveway where there usually isn't any trouble pushing through.  I checked the transmission and it was a little low on oil so I added oil and it made no difference (I doubted it would since it was running fine up until it stopped).  I then pushed it into the garage.  Later on in the day after finding this forum, I checked to make sure the belt was spinning on the side of the engine and it was.  That's as far as I've gotten.

Is there a list somewhere of where I should start looking from most likely/common issues to more in depth possibilities?  I don't even know where to begin.

I inherited this 15 years ago and haven't had to do anything with it other than maintenance items.  I do have the owners manual and a parts catalog.

Any and all help is appreciated.  Like I said, I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks in advance!

953 nut

:WRS:         Based on the conditions I would take a look at both wheel hubs on the axles. If the key has broken on either one it will bring you to an abrupt halt. 

The Sundstrand manual has a troubleshooting guide. If it isn't a hub the chart may help.

Sunstrand Hydro (part 1).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 2).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 3).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 4).pdf

• Like 2

pfrederi

Does it have a hydro lift??? If so does it still work???

• Like 1

Carts2Wheels

No Hydro Lift, all manual other than the transmission (which keeps my 10 year old from doing the plowing HAHAHA!)

20 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:         Based on the conditions I would take a look at both wheel hubs on the axles. If the key has broken on either one it will bring you to an abrupt halt. 

The Sundstrand manual has a troubleshooting guide. If it isn't a hub the chart may help.

Sunstrand Hydro (part 1).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 2).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 3).pdf

Sunstrand Hydro (part 4).pdf

Thank you!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Did you have to turn the tow valve before it would roll?  If it wouldn't roll without releasing the tow valve that is a good sign the hydro system is still OK and points more to 953nuts ideas. Any strange noises while you rolled it?

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1

Carts2Wheels

No, it rolled regardless of the tow valve position.  No strange noises when I pushed it into the garage.

• Confused 1

pfrederi

I am afraid you may have to open her up.  Check the hub and input shaft keys.  To check hubs mark from the axle to the hub then try driving if the marks stay in line the hub keys are ok.  Watch that the pump input shaft spins with the pulley.  If they are OK next most likely from the Manual is transaxle cross shaft keys...

Assuming she had been running OK right up to then argues against the valve plates failing.  They get scratched and leak but the onset is fairly slow.

hydro.JPG

• Like 1