"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." – Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jump to content
EricMassey

522xi with 60” deck

23 posts in this topic

I’ve got the opportunity to purchase a 522xi with a 60” deck. It has just shy of 900 hours on it. Just wondering some pros and cons of the 5xi series, and roughly how many hours are the Kohler motors good for? I know a lot about the older 520-H’s and the 3/400 series wheel horses but need some input on the newer 5xi series. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by EricMassey
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I own the 520LXI which has the liquid cooled Kawaski motor and I run a 60" deck on it. I will never go back to mowing with the older style horses as the XI is just a different machine. I also have a 522xi with loader. That has a 22 hp air cooled Kohler twin. It has under 500 hours and runs like a top. You cannot go wrong with it. The downside of the 60" deck is that it is very heavy to take off and move around. I would not hesitate to buy it but make sure you do the usual testing of the hydro once it is nice and hot and drive up hills. The hydro has a high and low speed so try both. Check over the engine for smoke as cold start etc. Good luck and keep us informed on what you plan on doing. Pic below are of my 522xi with loader. 

IMG_1470.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Thanks for the info, I will keep everything in mind. We have 4 520-H’s and 3 of them have the 60” decks so I know all about how heavy they are lol... This one has sat outside for awhile as it’s pretty fadded but doesn’t look to be beat up and abused.. Do you know rightly how many hours the Kohler air cooled motor seem to run? I’m going to try and go look at it this weekend so we will see! 

Edited by EricMassey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have a 522xi w loader. It came w a blower, mower deck & plow. All of which were essentially rusted out shells. I'm at 1200 hours and going strong.  

 

Weak link on them them seems to be the linkage. Every link in the motion control pedal and steering need to be tightened annually. Other than that there's no comparison between them  and out little red riders. Mow w it once and you'll never go back to a 520h

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 minutes ago, Forest Road said:

I have a 522xi w loader. It came w a blower, mower deck & plow. All of which were essentially rusted out shells. I'm at 1200 hours and going strong.  

 

Weak link on them them seems to be the linkage. Every link in the motion control pedal and steering need to be tightened annually. Other than that there's no comparison between them  and out little red riders. Mow w it once and you'll never go back to a 520h

Awesome thanks for the input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I bought a one owner dealer serviced 1200hr 520xi with 60" deck last Nov, but after owning the a 520H since new ok just my personal opinion, 520H with the Onan has more power the front axle has more articulation for going over ditches ect, and implement/attchment interchangeability and with the xi I really wasn't fond of the toe/heel "rocker" pedal, if it were a side by side set I probably would have liked it better, the lift lever where the motion control is on the H, the steering linkage not as heavy or simple, the pluses of xi the hi/lo range trans,cruise control, tilt column, one piece fender pan, power steering (518/520xi doesn't), more weight for traction, IDK if everybody knows this but you CAN leave the deck ON and lock the lift linkage in the up position and with a rear clevis hitch on you can use it with plow disc rear scraper blade ect, attachments harder to come by at they are xi only (Toro made it blue for New Holland), the smart steer is love or hate, when I brought it home after carrying that 60" deck all those years most if not all the bolts holding the transaxle to the frame had backed out and letting it "flop" around causing a jerkiness, again just MY personal experiences/thoughts, had I bought the xi new when I bought the anniversary they may be different now, but I sold it and up graded to compact 4wd with FEL and kept my 2 classics, Jeff.  Also from what I hear engine life 2000-3000 hrs if maintained/serviced regularly.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
20 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I bought a one owner dealer serviced 1200hr 520xi with 60" deck last Nov, but after owning the a 520H since new ok just my personal opinion, 520H with the Onan has more power the front axle has more articulation for going over ditches ect, and implement/attchment interchangeability and with the xi I really wasn't fond of the toe/heel "rocker" pedal, if it were a side by side set I probably would have liked it better, the lift lever where the motion control is on the H, the steering linkage not as heavy or simple, the pluses of xi the hi/lo range trans,cruise control, tilt column, one piece fender pan, power steering (518/520xi doesn't), more weight for traction, IDK if everybody knows this but you CAN leave the deck ON and lock the lift linkage in the up position and with a rear clevis hitch on you can use it with plow disc rear scraper blade ect, attachments harder to come by at they are xi only (Toro made it blue for New Holland), the smart steer is love or hate, when I brought it home after carrying that 60" deck all those years most if not all the bolts holding the transaxle to the frame had backed out and letting it "flop" around causing a jerkiness, again just MY personal experiences/thoughts, had I bought the xi new when I bought the anniversary they may be different now, but I sold it and up graded to compact 4wd with FEL and kept my 2 classics, Jeff.  Also from what I hear engine life 2000-3000 hrs if maintained/serviced regularly.

Thanks for the info and your input. If I do happen to purchase this 522xi I will also be keeping the 520-H just for all my implements, snow blower, snow plow, and tiller work. I have converted the 520-H to a rocker style foot controlled motion lever as I never liked the one on the dash.. they also said that the 60” deck had just been put under this one as something happened to the smaller deck so hopefully it hasn’t packed that big heavy think around all it’s life. Like I said thanks for your input I will keep that in mind when I go to look at it.

Edited by EricMassey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I used my three 520H for mowing and snow blowing duties for the last 8 years. I loved them all. Then I got a 520xi and fell in love with it.  So much so that I picked up a 522xi. That 522xi is the finest tractor I've ever used.  Don't get me wrong, I love the 520H, but the 5xi's are one step above. Power steering is to die for, but I hate the smart steering.

 

All that said, I worry about the Kohler V-Twins.  I had to replace one because of oil burning at 800 hrs.  But my other V-Twin has 900 hrs on it and is running just fine.  I would go for another 5xi in a heart beat.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

I used my three 520H for mowing and snow blowing duties for the last 8 years. I loved them all. Then I got a 520xi and fell in love with it.  So much so that I picked up a 522xi. That 522xi is the finest tractor I've ever used.  Don't get me wrong, I love the 520H, but the 5xi's are one step above. Power steering is to die for, but I hate the smart steering.

 

All that said, I worry about the Kohler V-Twins.  I had to replace one because of oil burning at 800 hrs.  But my other V-Twin has 900 hrs on it and is running just fine.  I would go for another 5xi in a heart beat.

I do know where a N.O.S demonstrator hours 522xi is hiding in a dealers basement :confusion-confused:...still has the N.O.S price tag though

IMAG1742.jpg

IMAG1739.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 

I actually read some post about it earlier today.. sure would a a sweet tractor to get ahold of but not for the price lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
12 minutes ago, EricMassey said:

I actually read some post about it earlier today.. sure would a a sweet tractor to get ahold of but not for the price lol.

Maybe this will help put it perspective, Jeff.

IMAG1738.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Just now, WVHillbilly520H said:

Maybe this will help put it perspective, Jeff.

IMAG1738.jpg

That’s awesome!

I have another question, do all the 522xi’s have power steering? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Maybe this will help put it perspective, Jeff.

IMAG1738.jpg

A new 522xi at $7619 - if it comes with a deck, I'm in.

5 minutes ago, EricMassey said:

That’s awesome!

I have another question, do all the 522xi’s have power steering? 

The 522xi's have power steering,  the 520xi does not.

 

Also the 522xi is 22 hp and the 520xi is 20 hp.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

A new 522xi at $7619 - if it comes with a deck, I'm in.

The 522xi's have power steering,  the 520xi does not.

 

Also the 522xi is 22 hp and the 520xi is 20 hp.

Awesome thanks! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I have a 522xi with loader, and a New Holland GT22, which is a 522xi with no power steering. Toro made them for NH, as Jeff said. I have a 60", 54", and 48" deck, 2 stage blower, and I picked up a single stage blower but I have not been able to get it here from my son's house. I think my ankle is finally strong enough, as soon as the weather breaks, I'll take a trip out to his house and pick it up. 

I think I am going to sell all my classic tractors and attachments except one 520H to use for pulling trailers, etc. The 522xi is a great tractor.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

518 and 520 Kohler V-twins no power steering, 520Lxi Kawasaki liquid cooled power steering, 523Dxi Briggs/Daihatsu 3cyl diesel power steering and you know the 522.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I think my ankle is finally strong enough

 

Brian, its good to hear you are on the mend.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
6 minutes ago, Kurt-NEPA said:

 

Brian, its good to hear you are on the mend.



Thanks, it's slow going, but it gets stronger every day. I can walk fine, but I'll have to unload the blower by myself, so I didn't want to try it until it was stronger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Brian,  I tried the broke ankle routine about 20 years ago.  Not fun.  Slow to get things working again.  Wishing you the best.  Don't push it too much.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

A NY dealer had one NOS not long ago. Believe it was a 522 w Loader $12000. For the record I could NEVER see paying that when a kubota w loader could be had.  

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Well as of now the 522xi I was going to look at has fell through... O well maybe someday I will luck onto one. Thanks for all the input guys will definitely keep it in mind if I ever happen to run across another one

Edited by EricMassey
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, stevebo said:

I own the 520LXI which has the liquid cooled Kawaski motor and I run a 60" deck on it. I will never go back to mowing with the older style horses as the XI is just a different machine. I also have a 522xi with loader. That has a 22 hp air cooled Kohler twin. It has under 500 hours and runs like a top. You cannot go wrong with it. The downside of the 60" deck is that it is very heavy to take off and move around. I would not hesitate to buy it but make sure you do the usual testing of the hydro once it is nice and hot and drive up hills. The hydro has a high and low speed so try both. Check over the engine for smoke as cold start etc. Good luck and keep us informed on what you plan on doing. Pic below are of my 522xi with loader. 

IMG_1470.JPG

Sweet loader tractor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members
     
     

    No registered users viewing this page.

     
Premium Theme Designed By IBTheme.com

×