Red Headed Horse

Lawn Ranger

Red Headed Horse

Hi,

i saw this Wheel Horse which I think is a Lawn Ranger from around the 1960s. Can anyone give a postitive identification please on the year and model. Apart from the seat missing, is it all there? Is the belt guard something made up or original? Thanks for your help.

Not brilliant photos from the seller either...

IMG_2033.PNG

IMG_2034.PNG

One of the front.

IMG_2035.PNG

Edited by Red Headed Horse
  • Like 2

littleredrider

I wanna say they are pretty much the same from 65 to the last year of 68, only thing being different was the decals. But, been out of rangers for a bit, so not 100%. But within those years tho. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Lawn ranger experts will be along anytime...

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:  I agree it is probably a '65 to '68 Ranger, here is a link to the manual for a '67.

• Like 2

dells68

No indent for the square wheel horse decal on the front hood sides.  May be wrong, but I think it is a 68 and should have the decals with Lawn Ranger spelled out.

• Like 1

Terry M

The Three spoke steering wheel also indicates a 1968 model.

• Like 1

WHX??

I know nothing about LR's but :WRS:

• Like 2

dells68

I bought a 68 lawn ranger from @oldredrider last year.  It has the three spoke Wheel as well.  I love it!  These little things are a blast to mow with and cruise around on!

IMG_5640.JPG

• Like 6

Red Headed Horse

Thanks; always nice to have a postitive identification. :text-thankyoublue:

I like the fact that it got patina and I am tempted to grab it.  Is there anything I need to look out for?

I assume it is a pull start judging from the photos  and not an electric model as well. Easier if it is a manual start as less to go wrong.

dells68

I don't think the guard on the engine is original - never seen one before.  I'm not a techumseh fan at all, but the one I have runs great.  Be prepared to have to mess with the engine to keep it going - occasional carb tune etc...  other than needing a seat, looks all there.  You can get a decent looking Michigan seat at Northern took.  Grab it and enjoy your new toy (I feel like a kid on a new ride around toy every time I get on mine!).

• Like 2

Red Headed Horse

Thanks. Great feedback. A number of guys have said they aren't keen on the Techumesh engines. Why's that?  I read somewhere that if the oil level  is kept at the right level it should be ok. 

pfrederi

My Father bought my 1967 Lawn Ranger L-107 new  (in avatar) and its Techy was replaced after about 20 years only because we wanted to get him an engine with Auto Compression release to make it easier for him to start it.  Used a Techy HH70 and it is still running strong today, used year round. Starts faster than any of my Kohlers.

The add on belt guard looks homemade, the original belt drive system for the deck would never have passed OSHA safety standards but I mowed with it for years and didn't hurt myself.

Engine looks original to me.  Front tires are original also. 

They are great little tractors!!

• Like 1

Red Headed Horse

Thanks; great stuff. Trying to clinch a deal but want better photos before committing. Why sellers can't post up proper photos I just don't know. :rolleyes:

dells68

Go for it!  You'll never regret it.  Awesome little tractors!

• Like 1

pfrederi

L107 is my go to chore tractor...like today.  Had to bring the charger up from storage so i could get ready to put her engine back on.

IMG_0163.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2

Red Headed Horse

You can really appreciate the size difference in that photo. Very cool.:text-thankyoublue:

1 hour ago, dells68 said:

Go for it!  You'll never regret it.  Awesome little tractors!

Still trying to strike a deal...

953 nut
14 hours ago, Red Headed Horse said:

assume it is a pull start judging from the photos  and not an electric model as well. Easier if it is a manual start as less to go wrong.

The photo looks like a pull start only. The electric starts had the recoil starter on them too.

• Like 1

Red Headed Horse
8 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The photo looks like a pull start only. The electric starts had the recoil starter on them too.

Thanks. Yes I just spotted that in the two above photos provided by your fellow WH owners. 

Thanks 

pfrederi

Wheel Horse used the same spec engines in 1967 and 68. Unfortunately that means if original you can't change it over to electric start.... Directly.   There is no ring gear on teh flywheel.  You can swap flywheels and engine shroud and then add electric start.

There would be a bump out on the rear of the shroud if it was originally electric start

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Red Headed Horse
19 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Wheel Horse used the same spec engines in 1967 and 68. Unfortunately that means if original you can't change it over to electric start.... Directly.   There is no ring gear on teh flywheel.  You can swap flywheels and engine shroud and then add electric start.

There would be a bump out on the rear of the shroud if it was originally electric start

Thanks for the information. I will leave the original engine configuration as it is, as I like my machines to be original if possible. Also a lot less to go wrong in my experience. :)

Red Headed Horse

Update! I am nearing to securing the purchase of this little gem; hopefully know more tomorrow....:)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Red Headed Horse

I am pleased to say that I bought the Wheel Horse and will collect it in a few weeks time. Looking forward to going through it and giving it a service. I know I need a seat for it and a gear knob as well. My intention is to give it a deep clean and preserve it as is. As far as I am aware, the Round Hood WHs are harder to find than the squarer front models in the UK. Better photos will be forthcoming soon. Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback; much appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

BOB ELLISON

I have a 67 lawn ranger L157 it came with the starter and it is a blast to drive. I  like how small it is but it will cut grass, push and pull just  like it's big Brothers. 

The deck is faded but this spring it all gets redone. I know the steering wheel is not original but that's the way I got it. You'll like it.

L157-11.jpg

l157-1.jpg

L157-4.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Prime Bob Prime... :handgestures-thumbupright: Is that seat cover on to protect the orginal? While a LR is not exactly on my bucket list I think everyone should have two or four of them!

@Red Headed Horse........don't bother postinfg further unless you can meet our ransom........ :text-coolphotos:..... :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

BOB ELLISON

@WHX14This is the original and the new one I'm making now. It had a white cover but I think I'll make a new cover also.

20180121_101555.jpg

20180128_171755.jpg

Edited by BOB ELLISON
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1