Ed Kennell

Red Raider still going strong

ohiofarmer

Even with just 10 horses they handle just about anything you throw at them.

001.jpg

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

What is the do hickey on the top of the deck on the discharge side ?

• Like 2

squonk
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

What is the do hickey on the top of the deck on the discharge side ?

I think it's a doo-hingus. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

That's the mount thingamajig for my hillbilly grass catcher.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Well lets see the hillbilly grass catcher. This flat lander is always interested in your inventions.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Here Ya go Jim.

IMG_8244.JPG.9bfcdbda0c80ba7654cc88c20cabb7b5.JPGIMG_8241.JPG.5757491e4a968a817acc8de2fd5201b0.JPG

I have one on my C-120 also.    Works great for collecting grass and leaves.         It has to be emptied frequently, but a lot easier to  mount, remove and store than a rear power bagger.

I find these at yard sales for a $.   This one was off a Crapsman rear bagger lawn mower.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 8:01 AM, Ed Kennell said:

Here Ya go Jim.

IMG_8244.JPG.9bfcdbda0c80ba7654cc88c20cabb7b5.JPGIMG_8241.JPG.5757491e4a968a817acc8de2fd5201b0.JPG

I have one on my C-120 also.    Works great for collecting grass and leaves.         It has to be emptied frequently, but a lot easier to  mount, remove and store than a rear power bagger.

I find these at yard sales for a $.   This one was off a Crapsman rear bagger lawn mower.

Ed I like the  Crapsman  part. Great idea.

• Like 3

JC 1965
On 9/9/2017 at 9:29 PM, Ed Kennell said:

That's the mount thingamajig for my hillbilly grass catcher.

Those Raider's are really tough little tractors.  Nice thingamajig grass catcher.     :teasing-poke:

• Like 3

FatJackDurham

Hmm. Both of my WH's bogged down in the tall stuff.... :(. Maybe I was too low?

ohiofarmer
54 minutes ago, FatJackDurham said:

Hmm. Both of my WH's bogged down in the tall stuff.... :(. Maybe I was too low?

It may have something to do with the mower drive system.  i have some Horses with the front mule drive and they will bog down much easier than the side drive Longer drive belts stretch more. Also, it may be that a 42" SD deck will clear itself better than a 48"?  Finally, it is very important that the idler pulley on the deck is free to slide in the ways to prevent hurting something else in the drive system. I put a piece of formica between the slide bar and the deck and polished the underside of the slide bar so it rides over the formica easily It really takes the shock out of mowing over sticks buried in the tall grass

It does take multiple passes and patience. Using a leaf blower to clear the mowed stuff [after it dries some] can also save time in the long run

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Me thinks you fellas need a sickle bar for some of that tall stuff!...'pecially for that real tall weeds with the tassels on top!

• Like 2

FatJackDurham
3 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

It may have something to do with the mower drive system.  i have some Horses with the front mule drive and they will bog down much easier than the side drive Longer drive belts stretch more. Also, it may be that a 42" SD deck will clear itself better than a 48"?  Finally, it is very important that the idler pulley on the deck is free to slide in the ways to prevent hurting something else in the drive system. I put a piece of formica between the slide bar and the deck and polished the underside of the slide bar so it rides over the formica easily It really takes the shock out of mowing over sticks buried in the tall grass

It does take multiple passes and patience. Using a leaf blower to clear the mowed stuff [after it dries some] can also save time in the long run

Thanks. I'll check it out when I sharpen the blades next. I have 16 hp mule drive 42" and a 14 hp side drive 48". I will tinker till I get it smooth.

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Ed Kennell That one smart idea. Around here all you see is the bags sitting beside trash cans with big holes in them. Maybe our grass is tougher or the village idiots don't pick up the tree limbs before cutting the grass. Go use for Crapsman walk behind.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Like 2