TrailerRated

GT-14 Snowball Project..

TrailerRated

First off, for a little background, I have a 1276 and a 72' GT-14 which I inheireted from my Grandpa who bought them new. Used both for a while until the hydrostat gave up on the GT and shortly thereafter, the motor on the 1276. Swapped the motor to have a good running tractor which left me with a "stripped GT-14" and somehow in the mixup, a turbo on the 1276 (which I will get into later).

Anyway, I started out by buying two bad 8 speeds with intent to make one good one and swap out the old wore out hydrostat unit and then power it with a v-twin or really just anything bigger than the Kohler that it originally started with. Ran across a good deal on a Yanmar 3-cyl diesel but now I have a dilemma on my hands..

What can I use for a shaft driven transmission? I think the 8 speed idea is getting scrapped in favor of some sort of shaft driven setup (preferably with a rear pto aswell). Has anyone done this? The only thing I can find are Cub Cadet transmissions, in which I really can't "find" to purchase one. Is that like totally against the rules in the Wheel Horse world? Haha.

• Like 1

Achto

You might get a lil ribbing for putting a CC tranny in there, but it's your tractor. You could also put a right angle gear box on the Yanmar & still use the 8 speed. Either direction is going to involve some heavy fab work. Of course we would want pics of the build, no matter which route you choose.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

TrailerRated

A right angle box was the first thing that came to my mind but they are super expensive and kind of weak. I found a source for a 12 puck pulling clutch that I really don't need, and that will allow me to run bigger injectors.. And I also just picked up 2 tiny turbos off a Volvo at the junkyard today.. See why this is called the snowball project?

I'll have to get some pics of the GT-14, I'm sure it will be totally out of hand by the time it runs so  stay tuned. 

I do have a pic of the turbo 1276 in which I just took a junkyard turbo that was way too big and bolted a carb on the front and it just kind of worked. That's the one I cut grass with weekly 

IMG_0061.JPG

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

We need more pictures. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
20 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

We need more pictures. 

:text-yeahthat:

Oh yeah !!

This looks super interesting! Details... We want details.

• Like 1

Electro12WH

Does the turbo actually work, or does the carb just pass through it?