jmdavidh09

520-8 gear reduction steering conversion

jmdavidh09

Has anyone converted a 520-8 over to gear reduction steering? 

Some questions if you have:

1. Does the motor have to come out?

2. Since the 520-8 has a swept axle, do I just need the lower steering shaft and gear box out of the donor?

3. Anything I am missing or should this be a simple swap?

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

roadapples

You'll need upper and lower steering shaft. Probably need to pull the engine. At least raise it up some....

littleredrider

Don't have to raise engine. I did mine couple weeks ago and wasn't too bad a job. Need everything from steering column to shaft where tie rods bolt to (can't think of name). I took battery/tray and dash out to install it. Took couple hours, but mine too lil longer cause had to tighten up some free play. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Cee245
      By Cee245
      Finally dug out a complete gear reduction steering from a 520 i had. 

Anyone have experience installing these on another model such as 3-400 series? Think the Benefits are that drastic over non gear reduction? 

Seems i remember reading on here that it's pretty basic... maybe drilling a couple holes in frame or something? (there are 2 bolts for the steering block on a 3-400 series and 4 for a 520 by looks of it)

I'm not even sure yet what this will go on. Choices are 314-8, , or 416H. 

• davem1111
      By davem1111
      I have this 520-8 that needs some love and restoration expertise, and I don't have the time or gumption to take on this project and give it the TLC it deserves.  Local pickup near Bloomington, IN only.... (almost - I might be able to meet somewhere but not too far, and I don't have a trailer.)

The Onan P220 runs, but not well. I repaired the seal on the intake manifold, replaced the carb & spark plugs, adjusted valve clearance, and tried adjusting the governor, but it still surges. It has the swept front axle but does not have reduction steering. As far as I know, all is original, and the hour meter is at 610.

Several attachments could be included in the deal if desired, for a bit extra. Either a 60" SD or 48" SD deck, single stage snowblower, and/or snow plow blade (would need to get extension kit for front wheel clearance).

• DennisThornton
      By DennisThornton
      One of the most detailed I've seen.

https://www.homemadetools.net/forum/garden-tractor-loader-videos-85395?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=05-21-21&utm_content=05-21-21-181510&fi=181510#post181510
    • GEnd
      By GEnd
      Hi all,
      New to the group and hoping to tap into your knowledge.  Also hoping I'm posting in the right place.  Please excuse me if not.
      I live in NE Minnesota, and am looking for a WH tractor for mowing and snowblowing.  
      I have a couple of questions I'd like your opinion/knowledge on, mostly about snow blowers and steering:

Did all 520H/C models after 1991 have gear reduction steering?  How do I know if a machine has gear reduction or not?
      Do the newer xi series have gear reduction?  I think the 520/2/3xi offered power steering as an option, but do non-power steering models incorporate gear reduction?
      I'm leaning toward 2 stage blower, just because it seems heavier duty, and it snows a ton in NE MN.  Are the 2 stage units worthwhile?

I was lucky enough to work for Toro for a few years, and really want to find a red machine.  Lots of green around here, but hoping to stay RED.  Thanks for your help.

Greg
    • BMW1
      By BMW1
      On my D200, when I turn the steering wheel all the way to the left, it has a tight turn radius, but when I turn it all the way to the right, the turn radius is significantly wider.

The tie rods appear to be adjusted evenly.

Anyone have a similar problem and what was done to fix it?  The steering does have quite a bit of play, at least 1/4 to 1/2 turn of the wheel.