T-Mo

50% of the 953s runs

T-Mo

If some would remember, I picked up 5 Wheel Horses from Steve @wh500special, about 3 weeks ago now.  A GT-14, a Charger V8, a Lawn Ranger and two 953s.  Below is the load.  I'm glad to say that one of the 953 is now a running tractor.  The one with the plywood back seat, pepper pot muffler runs.  It also will start and run, and I also drove it around, and all the gears work.  I don't think the hydraulic lift is working, but I think the belt is just hanging there.  I will investigate that more later. 

There is also a short video of it running.  The oil spill underneath the left foot rest is from the oil bath cleaner.

IMG_0847.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_1058.MOV

• Like 7

953 nut

:woohoo:       one of mine had been sitting in a ditch for years before @Ed Kennell rescued it and sold it to me. Only took a few minutes work to get it running. Those 953s just won't give up!

593c8b3bd6470_953fromEdright.jpg.280597b80cd9e08181c646d2cd1b016e.jpg

• Like 5

T-Mo

This one was real easy to get started.  It was missing the 2-prong key, so I bought a couple from ebay which arrived maybe Thursday.  Put the key in, removed the oil bath cleaner, put a jump box on the battery, sprayed some starter fluid into the carb and it hit.  So i put some gas in it, and chazaam, it runs on it's own.  Put it into gear and drove around the yard a couple of times, shifting into each gear.  It might need a new drive belt, but it actually runs pretty good for not running for years.  It did smoke a lot when it first started, but it seems to be getting better the more it runs.

• Like 3

RandyLittrell

Nice Terry! 

You brought quite the load home, that should keep you busy for awhile! 

Randy

• Like 1

T-Mo

Here is the video of the 953 running, clickless.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

That 953 looks really complete. I like the looks of those tractors, maybe someday add one to my stable! 

I hope you will bring that in September, love to see it in person! 

Randy

• Like 1

T-Mo
3 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

That 953 looks really complete. I like the looks of those tractors, maybe someday add one to my stable! 

I hope you will bring that in September, love to see it in person! 

Randy

I have two of these 953s.  I hadn't messed with the other one yet, but I will someday.  I also need to look more at the GT-14.  The Charger V8 has a bad starter on it, it's a vertical shaft KV181 Kohler which are kind of rare.  I do have another Kohler starter, but it's for a horizontal Kohler and the mounting tabs are on the opposite side as the vertical shaft starter.  Maybe change out the guts.....

• Like 1

T-Mo

I bought a new battery for it today, put the grille back in, put the hood back on.  Now I just need to get the old muffler off and put a new one on, plus check out what's going on with the hydraulic lift, plus it may need a new drive belt.

• Like 1

T-Mo

And the lights work!

IMG_1072.JPG

• Like 2