Shynon

1997 520H

Shynon

You may remember, I picked up this very nice 520H with 405 hrs and a broken rod. Fast forward I found an engine local, not sure what's wrong with it yet if anything. Mounted it, started hooking up wires and :angry-banghead: I can't figure out were these go. Any help would be appreciated.  Also curious on how wiring is routed.   Thanks. Oh and I'm blaming this one on @dclarke:ychain:

20170605_171451.jpg

20170605_171442.jpg

20170605_171437.jpg

• Like 1

cleat

They look like the wires for the voltage regulator.

If so then the two together are the AC from the coil under the flywheel and they go to either side and the red DC out wire plugs into the middle.

There should be a grey wire for the tach somewhere as well that also connects to one of the outside AC connections on the regulator.

I think the yellow wire may go to the coil + terminal.

• Like 3

Shynon
1 hour ago, cleat said:

They look like the wires for the voltage regulator.

If so then the two together are the AC from the coil under the flywheel and they go to either side and the red DC out wire plugs into the middle.

There should be a grey wire for the tach somewhere as well that also connects to one of the outside AC connections on the regulator.

I think the yellow wire may go to the coil + terminal.

Thanks Cleat, found the regulator on the other motor. Hooked up the wires and started up, now I need to identify the noise.

• Like 2

slammer302

Is it coming from the breather vent hole or is it a knock?

• Like 1

dclarke
2 hours ago, Shynon said:

You may remember, I picked up this very nice 520H with 405 hrs and a broken rod. Fast forward I found an engine local, not sure what's wrong with it yet if anything. Mounted it, started hooking up wires and :angry-banghead: I can't figure out were these go. Any help would be appreciated.  Also curious on how wiring is routed.   Thanks. Oh and I'm blaming this one on @dclarke:ychain:

20170605_171451.jpg

20170605_171442.jpg

20170605_171437.jpg

I'll take the blame, Tom. 👍 You're gonna like that tractor when it's done. 

• Like 2

N3PUY

the voltage regulator has to be grounded!

• Like 1

Shynon
22 minutes ago, slammer302 said:

Is it coming from the breather vent hole or is it a knock?

could be from the breather, sound was coming from around the carburetor towards the front end of the engine. PO said something about exhaust, could it be as simple as an exhaust gasket leak?

23 minutes ago, dclarke said:

You're gonna like that tractor when it's done

I like you have been thinking this is the new snowchucker

• Like 1

WHX??

Almost sounded like a tappet noise to me Tom....did it go up down with RPM up down? They do make some noise when everything is not buttoned up as should be but I would hate to see you button everything up and not have it pin pointed?

Exhaust gasket leak you should almost be able to see telltale marks I would think.

• Like 1

Kurt-NEPA

I would get a mechanic's stethoscope (Chinese Tool Store) and probe around a bit.  Or, if you wish, get a long screw driver and hold the handle up to your ear and place the tip at various points on the engine.  I'll bet you can pin point it.

From your video, I'm thinking your valves may need to be adjusted.  But that is just one possibility.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

From your video, the front exhaust heat shield was shaking more than the rest of the engine, wonder if that isn't your rattle?, with a 520 19 years original engine (under my belt since new), they do have some rattle to them and good fresh oil/filter and valve adjustments make calmer, my low 290hr used one I got last spring rattles worse than my bought new one with 755 hrs :think:, Jeff.

• Like 2

ericj

I bought a 416-H a few years ago that had a very loud tick to it. long story short the cap on the valve stem some how came off and was causing the tick.easy fix and tractor runs good now. good luck

eric j 

• Like 2