Mt Zion 520H

97 520h 48" side discharge deck blades?

Mt Zion 520H

Where's the best place to buy and cheaper price wise? Do i need to go by a specific model number or anything? No idea what i need to look for.. Any help appreciated.

Also.. Read that front should be 1/8" lower than front. Does this need adjusting again if changing height from slot to slot of does it remian constant and only need done once?

woodchuckfarmer

Blades on the big bay. Copperhead ,3 blade set for a 48 inch deck. 29.95.   Just got a set last week. Made in USA.          Wayne

Jerry77
4 hours ago, Mt Zion 520H said:

only need done once

Correct. :)

• Like 1

Aldon

Just make sure the deck blades don't have D type holes to mount.

otherwise blade length is limiting factor...

Mt Zion 520H
16 hours ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

Blades on the big bay. Copperhead ,3 blade set for a 48 inch deck. 29.95.   Just got a set last week. Made in USA.          Wayne

Got a link perhaps? Can't seem to find them. Maybe i'm just stressed with other things going on.

16 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

Correct. :)

Thanks much brother. Seems after lifting 1 notch.. Mine seems off quite a bit so will need to correct that asap.

Hadn't looked before because figured guy i got it from knew things and would have it right. Oh well.

14 hours ago, Aldon said:

Just make sure the deck blades don't have D type holes to mount.

otherwise blade length is limiting factor...

Ok, will check on this too before ordering. Ty.

Jerry77
1 hour ago, Mt Zion 520H said:

Got a link perhaps

Go here - lots of links - chk the numbers b4 you buy...on ebay - wheel horse 48 inch deck mower blades

Edited by Jerry77
clarification

Mt Zion 520H

Haven't ordered yet.. Been side tracked a lot and still using dull blades. Grr..

Er.. Also going to need a skinny belt that connects the 3 blades to eachother as it snapped and then somehow the bigger belt dislocated from the center blades pulley. Smh.

20170714_202055.jpg

gwest_ca

Garry

Mt Zion 520H
7 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Garry

Is that the part number for the belt that connects the 3 blades?

Mt Zion 520H

Need belt asap so ordering is a route i'd like to avoid. Maybe tractor suply has a belt that would work? What size / length do i need? This one got cut up and think maybe a pc missing so can't go by it's length. Any help appreciated.

20170715_091252.jpg

20170715_095235.jpg

Edited by Mt Zion 520H
Add pic

gwest_ca

The belt numbers and dimensions are on this page

Garry

Mt Zion 520H
21 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

The belt numbers and dimensions are on this page

Garry

Okay.. Is it possible the belt in there was the wrong size? It's a 1/4" belt that connected the spindles and the link you gave says 1/2" belts..

20170715_202721.jpg

Edited by Mt Zion 520H
Add pic

Mt Zion 520H

Picked up a belt from tractor supply.. Let's see how it works out.

Not sure why previous owner put tbe 1/4" belt there.. Weird.. But it's corrected now.

20170715_230940.jpg

Mt Zion 520H

So i found the oem toro blades on amazon for 35-46 bucks.. And i found 3 brands of blades on ebay...

XHT brand clains to be best on market because it's made with MARBAIN and are harder and hold sharpness longer... Anyone have experience with them? I think i read elsewhere they tend to shadder if they fit something hard enough.. Not sure if should be concerned as there are times i hit harder than grass obejects.. Like rocks. Lol.

Screenshot_2017-07-17-07-17-51.png

Screenshot_2017-07-17-07-18-04.png

Screenshot_2017-07-17-07-18-13.png

Edited by Mt Zion 520H
Add

WVHillbilly520H

I have been using the STENS (bottom pic) brand lately and they're ok and have held up to gravel and a rock here and there, beware of the cheaper versions, but the TORO hold up the longest from my experience since 1998, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170717-075852.png

Screenshot_20170717-075408.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

Mt Zion 520H
8 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I have been using the STENS (bottom pic) brand lately and they're ok and have held up to gravel and a rock here and there, beware of the cheaper versions, but the TORO hold up the longest from my experience since 1998, Jeff.

Screenshot_20170717-075852.png

Screenshot_20170717-075408.png

Thank you brother; for info and pics. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

Mt Zion 520H

Can anyone tell me exactly what size nut holds these blades on?

Read different things different places about 1 1/8 , 1 1/4 and something like 16/18"...

Don't have a socket big enough and don't want to be going back and forth with this. Also.. If using an impact gun... Do i need to lock the blade somehow or will it knock loose before blade goes ape****. Lol.

pfrederi

It is a 3/4" NF jam (thin) nut uses a 1-1/8th inch wrench.

WVHillbilly520H

3/4"-16 is the actual terminology of the thread size and technically it is a "jam" nut not a standard nut and requires an 1 1/8" socket or wrench 6 point preferred over 12 pt and if using an impact wrench to remove no blocking should be required but a rag over the blade or a gloved hand to hold it still while the impact is hammering it loose, Jeff.

Mt Zion 520H

Okay thanks. Best way is 1 1/8" wrench and long pipe for leverage or impact with 1 1/8" socket?

I read using a block of wood between blade and deck to keep from spinning helps.. But will this work if using impact?

Thanks WVHillbilly520H; much appreciated brother.

WVHillbilly520H
2 minutes ago, Mt Zion 520H said:

Okay thanks. Best way is 1 1/8" wrench and long pipe for leverage or impact with 1 1/8" socket?

I read using a block of wood between blade and deck to keep from spinning helps.. But will this work if using impact?

For me the air powered impact wrench with 6pt socket works best but if that is unavailable, useing wood block and standard wrench but "tapping/whacking" the wrench with a rubber mallet is like the same effect as the impact wrench too loosen the nuts then spin them off as normal, Jeff.

Mt Zion 520H
36 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

For me the air powered impact wrench with 6pt socket works best but if that is unavailable, useing wood block and standard wrench but "tapping/whacking" the wrench with a rubber mallet is like the same effect as the impact wrench too loosen the nuts then spin them off as normal, Jeff.

I have an 18volt Milwaukee 1/2" impact my pops gave me as a bday gift. Haven't used yet.. It should do the job right? Lol.

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, Mt Zion 520H said:

I have an 18volt Milwaukee 1/2" impact my pops gave me as a bday gift. Haven't used yet.. It should do the job right? Lol.

Give it a whirl, some of those electric impacts are real decent some aren't so much, but like I said above if you can't get them broken loose with the impact there's the rubber mallet/wrench method,Jeff.

Mt Zion 520H

So the impact worked easy peasy. Now.. What's the torque spec to put them nuts back on? Lol. Don't wanna torque gun em on and damage anything.

EricF

Tighten them nice and snug by hand with a wrench; the torque spec is 90-100 ft-lbs or so. They tend to tighten up more due to the rotation of the blades.