Sign in to follow this  
jjs342

D200 pto shaft

jjs342

Hello all, in short my pto shaft for my tiller from the tractor needs a universal joint. I can't for the life of me see how it comes apart other than cutting it out. So any information on weather I can replace it or where I can find a shaft or a replacement yolk assembly is highly appreciated!

gwest_ca

Look at the inside of the bearing caps to see if there is a lock ring on the inside. They are not much more than 1/2 of a circle - just enough to keep it on. The smaller 1/2 will just be an empty groove.

At one time we identified them as Spicer and Neapco. One used rings on the outside and the other on the inside but can't remember which was which.

Garry

jjs342

The cross fills the whole inside area of the yolk. There's no room for clips and the caps don't go past the yolk. And there's no clips that hold them in on the outside. Which is the problem. Two of the caps are missing and the needle bearings are gone. I'll get pictures tonight. Thank you though. I appreciate any help!

Edited by jjs342

KC9KAS

@jjs342 :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

If 2 of the caps are missing, they had to come off from the yoke out and with no "C" clip on the inside....what holds the caps in to begin with?

My D200 with tiller is 30 miles away right now or I would get some photos for you.

jjs342

It's not the getting it apart that is concerning me so much. A little hot wrench and I'll have that apart. It's the where to find it. I'll have pictures of what I've got going on in a couple hours. Thank you all for the input and your time

jjs342

Ok a few days late but this is what I'm working with. 

IMG_1955.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1956.JPG

gwest_ca

I see what you are up against and I don't have an answer.

Some original applications did not have snap rings. Instead a plastic material was injected into small holes in each eye. There was a groove machined around the center of the bearing cap which filled with plastic and that was how the cap was retained.

At replacement time the plastic just sheared allowing the cap to be removed. The replacement joints came with snap rings.

Perhaps you will see a groove in the eyes for an outside lock once the cap is removed using a shorter cap.

Or the replacement cross will allow for an inside lock.

Or it is not designed to be serviceable but have never see where that was the case.

Garry

jjs342

I'm probably gonna bring it to a driveshaft shop and see if they can put a real u joint in it. I saw on here after some digging that I'm not the only one that's had this problem. And seems to be the only fix. Fingers crossed 

jjs342

Sorry this is the right link.