skippy1969

C160 Hydro question.

Sarge

There are some big differences in hydraulic filters versus regular oil filters , especially micron size . The OEM Wheel Horse filters were rated to 10 micron , no car oil filter will hit that range , nor is it designed for higher operating pressures of a hydraulic system due to their design . It takes very little dirt to damage that piston to piston unit and it's nearly identical hydraulic motor - use the OEM or Wix filter and be done . The OEM is a better rated in the micron department , although there are a lot of opinions and info it may not be up to the old specs that were originally used by Wheel Horse , go figure .

Those C-160's are highly sought due to their brute design and an enormously strong transmission for an auto in comparison to the older designs . As far as a tractor goes , the C-160 is really tough to beat due to it's strong frame/transmission and the holy **** level of torque from the K-341 Kohler single cylinder engine - very tough to knock it off it's rpm band under a load and will do far more work than nearly any modern twin made . The only thing better was the K-482/K-532 twin opposed engines used in the D series , but those tractors are huge and have their own issues . Just as an example , that bigger 1100lb D series uses basically the same exact transmission pump/motor setup as the C-series - that should tell you something right there .

Sarge

• Like 3

skippy1969

Well,I got a break in the rain today and worked on my C160 today.

I fixed a few things and replaced the original crappy seat, got all three of the lights working, and replaced the battery cables.

I finally got the push valve loosened up and removed it cleaned it and reinstalled it and to my surprise the transmission works great now!

I replaced the trans fluid again and replaced the filter with a Wheel Horse/Toro filter.

I took it for a ride and I'm happy to say it seems 100% better.

Its a lot faster in forward and reverse, in fact it can pull the front wheels with a bit of heavy application of the direction lever.

Before it couldn't even back up any kind of incline.

A big thanks to everyone here for the advise,knowledge and support.

Edited by skippy1969
  • Like 6

Sarge

Glad you got it fixed - I'd recommend running it awhile and dump that oil/filter again just to be sure to remove any contaminants that work loose over time . I change all of mine yearly in the fall and again in the summer if they are ran hard with a lot of hours working - much cheaper than rebuilding the pump/motor section or sourcing a good used unit .

Sarge

• Like 3

WHX??

Just saw this thread and just wanted to :WRS:. I am just north of you a bit in Montello and we could always use another Wisconsinite here, that way that MN clan wouldn't gang up us then! Glad to hear you got your 160 running good. A 160 is on my bucket list so if it gives you any more trouble I'll be right down to get it! :D

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 1

skippy1969
1 hour ago, WHX11 said:

Just saw this thread and just wanted to :WRS:. I am just north of you a bit in Montello and we could always use another Wisconsinite here, that way that MN clan wouldn't gang up us then! Glad to hear you got your 160 running good. A 160 is on my bucket list so if it gives you any more trouble I'll be right down to get it! :D

Glad to meet you!

I've been to Montello quite a few times.

Maybe we can get together for a visit.

Do you go to the garden tractor show in Portage?

Thanks!

squonk

My Toro dealer doesn't even stock the Toro filter. He uses the 1410