porschpow

New to here (with adopted Wheel horse)

porschpow

Good Morning Fellas (and ladies),

I am new to here.

I have a 520 Hydro Wheel horse.  I need to attach the mowing deck to the tractor and when I do that, even with everything hooked up (I hope it is), I still have slack in the belt.  Am I doing something wrong? Is the fork supposed to go into the hitch rod  on the mid-mount hitch plate??  For the life of me, I can't get the fork to get into the rod

Racinbob

:WRS:

You didn't give us the year or what deck you have but they all hook up the same way so this will help you. If I'm understanding what you mean by the fork going into the hitch rod yes, you are correct. If everything if mounted properly and you still can't get the slack out of the belt with the front adjustment your belt is too long. :)

porschpow

Is there a trick to get the fork in that rod, its seems like its a PITA!!!

rmaynard

:WRS: 

Once the lift bar pin is in the slot...

liftbar.png.a152c29392c06c58d8ced3f09da00bee.png

The attachment rod it hooked to the tach-a-matic hitch as shown.

rodattach.png.020dbe2a0e0c798bf3c92f03e2493ea5.png

• Like 2

nylyon

Use the tractor to lift the deck into the attach-a-matic, be sure to set the parking brake and chock the wheels and keep your hands clear.

• Like 2

daveoman1966

You MUST get that fork into the rod.  That is what sets the mower deck in a forward / back position (and locks it there) so as to maintain a fixed position in relation to the tractor.  Without that fork/rod set CORRECTLY, the deck will slop back a forth and you'll NEVER get the belt adjusted right...evn if the correct belt.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 2

porschpow

The thing is, when I try to get the lift bar pin into place, I can't tilt the fork so that is can go into place to go into the rod.  I would have to move the lift bar pin out of the way in order to try to get the fork in there. And if I lift the arm, it'll be harder to get the fork in place

And I am sorry, I don't know what year the deck or mower is.

Thanks for the welcome!

6wheeler

When you get the lift pin in place? Then make sure the deck is set to its lowest cutting position and drop the lift arm all the way  down(ie; lower manual lift arm or hydraulic lift). Then you should have enough "slack" to "aim" the fork on the rod. Then, keeping your fingers out of "Bumps and Bruises" spots? Lift up on the deck, using either the Man. or Hyd. lift while guiding the fork. It doesn't take much lift to get it high enough to start the fork. Then it will guide itself so you can move your hand away and lift it to lock. Make sure both sides are hooked into the Tach a matic. And, that the lock clamps are fully locked. Once that is done? Tighten the Mule drive adjustment knob. Sometimes, the belts can be stretched. Especially if it is an old well used one. Good Luck...

KC9KAS

@porschpow :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

EricF

When I attached my deck, I was able to guide the fork into position, and lift/pivot just the front of the deck up by hand. One hand lifting by the bar, with the fork held up and the other lifting the deck just below. But I was always pretty good at arm wrestling and wrangling horses of the four-footed variety, so your mileage may vary. :lol:  I wasn't so sure about operating the hydraulic lift with my fingers anywhere near until I was more familiar with how fast it moved and how controllable it was.

You could also put a length of 2x4 under the front of the deck to as a lever and use it to gently raise it up. That was going to be my solution until I found I could just muscle it; even the fairly large 48" deck seems to balance and pivot pretty well once it's on the lift link.

daveoman1966

Agreed.... using a 2x4 pry rod to lift front of deck makes quick work of it.

This pic help? ? ? 

FORK.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966

porschpow

Thanks you everyone for all your help! It has definitely been a tremendous learning experience!

• Like 1