Cadmandu

42" Deck Belt Routing

Cadmandu

Good Spring to all,

Well i just completed my first Spring mowing with my new 42" deck. I sold my 37" and bagger system a few months ago. The 42" deck does a much better job and is a better fit with my bigger front, tires and spindles. I had 1/4" clearance with the 37" deck. My question is why do I still need the flat pulley on the mule drive? I still have a twist in the belt between the deck pulley and the mule drive. I thought that I could use two V's on the mule. I checked my trans axle fluid and it looked tan colored did water get in? What do you guys use for replacement? This is a 89 312-8? I am looking for front wheel weight or the kind that you hang on the front. Did wheel horse sell an attachment for the front to hang weights on?

Thanks Happy Mowing

daveoman1966

You need the FLAT pulley on the mule drive.  Here is a pic of why. 

Here also is a pic of the SPINDLE BELT on the 42" deck

Here is the MULE DRIVE schematic...it is just a simple 4-sided V belt:

#37 is the FLAT pulley. #35 is a V pulley.  #41 is the V belt.

ADAPT (14).JPG

M DRV (3).JPG

SD42A-4.jpg

42SC-1.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

I assume you are using a 4 sided  and not a 6 sided belt.     If you tried to use a vee pulley on the belt coming from the bottom of the PTO pulley, you would have to put a 180 degree between those pulleys.  That would not work.   You should have about an 80 degree twist  between the mule to deck pulley

Cadmandu

Thanks Ed and Dave, Great pics, looks like my old deck i think mine is a 5-1011 1975 

I did put a flat pulley on and i have the twist between the deck and the mule. I also have the belt on the inside pulley of the PTO. 

I will send some pics tonight. Today I will be trying to install my new Tru Power lugs and my V61 on the front. I am having a rough time breaking the bead on those old rear wheels.