Aldon

My second haul in 2017, in same day:-) A CT GT14

Aldon

Indeed. With matching new paint. 

• Like 1

Chris G

I don't want to steel you post or anything. But I see you have a couple of the GT14's. If you don't mind, what's your overall take on them? I never had one of that particular model and I recently came across one and I'm just trying to figure out a solid owners opinion on one. Before I start working a deal, if one is possible to be made.

• Like 2

Aldon

The GT14 easily compares if not outright beats all other wheel horses if compared against each other in pristine condition. They were the beast of their time.

They are heavy ~900-1200# depending on implements, weights and tire fill etc and make great workers or loader tractors. But as they were expensive and built like tanks it seems that as they are coming onto market these days most have been ridden hard and put away wet.

Implements are specific for them and can be a challenge to locate. I modified  a couple to use the more modern attachment system and implements which resolves that issue.

They can be a bear to disassemble and put back together. Like a jigsaw puzzle. 

The hydros are not weak but after 45 years they may need maintenance like any other item that wears. Once the hydros have been dealt with they appear to be significantly strong workers. Fast88pu and 953nut use theirs with loaders. I know Fast88pu works his hard. So much so I'm sold on putting a loader on one of mine.

They don't turn as tight as lighter or short frame tractors. So if you mowing large expanses they are good to great. Not so much for a 3rd of an acre lot with shrubs etc. 

Rather than pick a tractor, choose your intended use and then pick the tractor that best fits those needs.

A gattling gun is awesome and would certainly kill a rabbit but would not be ideal hunting implement for that task.

I do fancy them and have owned 7-8 or so.

Once they have been put in ship shape, they are awesome. 

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 5

ztnoo
2 hours ago, Aldon said:

I seriously need a bigger trailer so I can bring these tractors to the Sow for "Show & Tell"

If you are considering a new trailer, I would seriously consider one with stake slat holes for a high stake side enclosure above the low frame sides.

Those big Sows can weight 600, 700, 800 pounds and more.

They'll need an enclosure they can't climb over on their way to market, and then slaughter.

You haven't mentioned anything about also acquiring an interest in animal husbandry.......

What other rural pursuits are you gaining an interest in????

:ROTF:

:ROTF:

10 minutes ago, Aldon said:

A gattling gun is awesome and would certainly kill a rabbit but would not be ideal hunting implement for that task.

seriously...............gattling guns.............really??

• Like 2

Chris G

Alright well thank you for your advice. And I would be getting it to use with a loader. So I guess I will have to stop by and see if I can make a deal. Cause it appears solid and from what I been told he's got a blade, deck, tiller and blower with it, and all in working order. It sounds like it's a solid machine and be great for what I want so I'll have to see what I can do. But thanks again I really appreciate it. 

• Like 2

Aldon

@ztnoo thanks for that humor. Yup you caught me. The great pig rustler:auto-driving:

And I've owned several GT14's. Not Gatling gunsB)

2 minutes ago, Chris G said:

Alright well thank you for your advice. And I would be getting it to use with a loader. So I guess I will have to stop by and see if I can make a deal. Cause it appears solid and from what I been told he's got a blade, deck, tiller and blower with it, and all in working order. It sounds like it's a solid machine and be great for what I want so I'll have to see what I can do. But thanks again I really appreciate it. 

It helps If your mechanically inclined. Test the hydro by butting front end up an immovable object and if tires dig a hole it passes. If they stop turning, the hydro likely needs attention soon. BTW, Rear tires for it can be a concern. New turfs can be had for ~ 400 but AG tires aren't. Unless you like your AG's skinny. I think the 6.7 or 7.6 width is still out there.

• Like 3

Chris G

Alright. I will definitely take the tips. I have had alot of horse but never a hydro horse. I had 2 old Ford LGT 165 hydros years ago. I rebuilt them both after the service and gave them to my dad. Kinda regretted not keeping the one with the loader around. But my dad's a Ford guy so they look better at his house and not mine lol. So im looking to get this for my loader tractor and replace the void with another horse. 

• Like 1

ztnoo
18 minutes ago, Aldon said:

THE GREAT PIG RUSTLER:auto-driving:

Mr. T., that's really a catchy phrase!

I like that!

thumbup.gif

• Like 1

oldredrider
35 minutes ago, Aldon said:

The GT14 easily compares if not outright beats all other wheel horses if compared against each other in pristine condition. They were the beast of their time.

They are heavy ~900-1200# depending on implements, weights and tire fill etc and make great workers or loader tractors. But as they were expensive and built like tanks it seems that as they are coming onto market these days most have been ridden hard and put away wet.

Implements are specific for them and can be a challenge to locate. I modified  a couple to use the more modern attachment system and implements which resolves that issue.

They can be a bear to disassemble and put back together. Like a jigsaw puzzle. 

The hydros are not weak but after 45 years they may need maintenance like any other item that wears. Once the hydros have been dealt with they appear to be significantly strong workers. Fast88pu and 953nut use theirs with loaders. I know Fast88pu works his hard. So much so I'm sold on putting a loader on one of mine.

They don't turn as tight as lighter or short frame tractors. So if you mowing large expanses they are good to great. Not so much for a 3rd of an acre lot with shrubs etc. 

Rather than pick a tractor, choose your intended use and then pick the tractor that best fits those needs.

Once they have been put in ship shape, they are awesome. 

Aldon nailed it here. I've owned one for years, and his description couldn't be better. They are "estate" tractors.

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I'm surprised & somewhat confused that WH had limited success in an area that I thought they would have succeeded in, the multipurpose Garden Tractor.  Certainly they had serious competition from several brands (I have a Power King)  and I think WH had a knee jerk marketing program ( 953/1054, GT14,  C-195!  What the heck is the pattern?) but they had such a reputation & presence along with what I gather quite capable GTs.  (though somehow I have not the pleasure of any WH with a 3 point.) 

Seems that even among WH followers some/many are not aware they had Garden Tractors with 3 point hitches. 

Edited by DennisThornton
  • Like 2

ztnoo
2 hours ago, oldredrider said:

They are "estate" tractors.

Well......I have the tractor.

What about "the estate"???

fast88pu

They are strong. With rebuilt trannys they are tanks. As for the loader the gt14 specific loader that I have I don't know what the lift capacity is but I've lifted a 73 no name with it no problem. It's the best and most useful horse that I have in my heard. 

• Like 2

953 nut
12 hours ago, Chris G said:

I guess I will have to stop by and see if I can make a deal.

Good luck and remember;     :wwp:

• Like 2

T-Mo

I personally like the "estate" tractors, like the GT-14.  One of the reasons why John Deere has been so successful in the L&G market is their larger GTs, like their 400 series.  These and others brands in this size have been called Super Garden Tractors.  Many here in the "red" world may not know this, but the John Deere 140, which is the same size as most GTs of that era, was designed to be an "estate" tractor.  Deere had the Farmall Cub in mind when they designed the 140, but Deere wanted it to be a smaller size so it would appeal to a broader market.  The 140 was an instant success.  But, when Deere when back to the drawing board in the '70s, the 140 got replaced by the 300, but lost one spool of hydraulics, but at the same time, Deere introduced the Super GT, the 400 which had the triple hydraulics of the 140H3, but added power steering and the tractor gained some inches and some weight, about 200 to 300 pounds worth.  In fact, the 400 has the heaviest frame built in a Deere Gt, including the 420 and 430 which came later.  Cub Cadet didn't make a Super GT until years later.

The GT-14 was probably more of an answer to the John Deere 140, while the D series was more of a Super GT inline with the JD 400 and other Super GTs of the '70s.  Myself, I would like to have a 953/1054, but would also like to have a GT-14 or a D series.  And since seeing a C-195 in person at @wh500specialSteve's father's house back in September, I wouldn't turn one of those down either.

• Like 4

swisstrac
16 hours ago, Aldon said:

So 2 Saturday's or so ago I posted that I had retrieved the GT14 that Russ @SALTYWRIGHT let go to a new home. To keep the Provinence documented it came to Russ from Fireman. The reason this is the second haul is that earlier that morning I had delivered a D250 to @fast88puIMG_0148.JPGIMG_0150.JPGIMG_0152.JPG

So after pondering this tractors positives and negative(not many) ive decided to tear into it a bit and do focused restore. I'll swap out anything along the way that is marginal but mostly just assure everything is tight and in ship shape.

I will be using the independent 3 point as template to make a couple more set ups. As I was pulling this out I have noted the cam assembly on front of Hydro is loose which helped me make the decision to do a limited deep dive. This thing looked good. Hopefully by late spring it will look even a bit better.

One thing I noted right away is that it had a stock style Nelson Muffler. So I managed to get it off without damage and hit it lightly with sandblaster to remove rust and hit it with 1200 degree paint. 

I seriously need a bigger trailer so I can bring these tractors to the Sow for "Show & Tell". Lol

I wasn't going to post on this tractor but figured a few updates along the way rather than a detailed day to day would be nice compromise.

not to mention these Nelsons are cool. And muffle sound way better than the pepper pots or whatever are common replacements these days.

a few pics....

IMG_0190.JPGIMG_0194.PNG

IMG_0193.JPGIMG_0195.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0174.JPG

what a beauty Aldon!

• Like 2