Rustyred

What to do with rust in the transmission?

Rustyred

Hi Guys,

It's me again looking for professional advice!

Today we split open the transmission on our '79 C-81 and found that the gasket had rotted under the Fender Support Bracket and part of the gearbox interior is rusty. LUCKILY it is only a small area on both half's. (The box had plenty of oil.)

Can someone recommend the best way to get rid of the rust? I was not planning to disassemble the entire thing but maybe I'll have to? what do you think?

Check out the pictures below.

With thanks for your advice. Long live Wheel Horse!

Rust in transmission.jpg

Transmission with owners with line.jpg

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

I'm sure the transmission experts will be along soon to help you out...

But, what about those two older gentlemen in the second picture? They seen astute and well versed in the minutia of transmissions...

:ychain:

VERY cool to be involving those guys - they will be the better for it down the road...:handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 4

smoreau

Use a paint scrapper and try and scrape it away from the inside of the housing. Also you could cover the inside parts with rags and lightly sand the area. Then clean that area up an you should be good to go. Add a light layer is silicon sealer to the new gasket in that area would be wise. 

• Like 1

JAinVA

I would have to agree.If that is the only area where there is rust and only what is in photos Scott is spot on in my opinion.JAinVA

953 nut

If it were mine I would review a couple of the Trans. threads @stevasaurus has posted and then git to work pulling it apart. Once the case halves have been washed down you can use some phosphoric acid rust remover product and a wire brush to remove the rust. It would be a shame to put it together without knowing the condition of all the bearings. :twocents-02cents:  If you don't you may be redoing it soon.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

This is a similar Wheelhorse trans I opened a few years ago.  Lots of crud and rust.  Surprised it all clean up easily with kerosene and a rotary wire brush and some coarse steel wool.  

box- 008.jpg

0704- 005.jpg

box- 056.jpg

• Like 4

KC9KAS
8 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

box- 056.jpg

Icky Poo!

Lee1977

Here is my 312 transmission. I thank it set out side with out a shiftier boot before I got it. I had to scrape rust out of the top of the transmission case where a lot of rust had accumulated. I replace the roller bearings on the axle as I heard a lot of strange noise when pulling it hard.

SAM_0401.jpg

stevasaurus

I'm thinking those 2 boys you have there want you to take it all apart and do it right.  You have already done the hard part, and like Scott said, "You could just scrape and wipe it clean."  I think it is too easy to just take the rest of it apart, clean it and make sure you don't have anything in the bearings that should not be there.  Check out this thread...while not your transmission, it is close enough to get you through tearing it down and putting it back together.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4