slim67

Ain't that a ......

slim67

I hauled some scrap metal today from our shop to the scrap dealer we go to. While I was dumping my load , I looked over and saw a beautiful Wheelhorse snow blade sitting. I walked over and couldn't believe how nice it was even the cutting edge. Anyways when I inquired about buying it, they said there is a no sale policy at their yard. Too bad, such a nice blade. Anyhow hence the title of this thread.

• Like 4

JAinVA

That's a shame but I kinda understand their point.They deliver to their buyer end of story.They sell to someone they don't know and all kinda issues mostly legal could arise.That shouldn't be, but some folks want to blame everyone else rather take responsibilty for their own actions.

• Like 2

HeyMrP

I can't spend too much time thinking about this kind of stuff. Makes me mad!

• Like 3

WHX??

Couldn't you just ask them to trade scrap for it? Surely ther must have been a way to save it?? :(

• Like 3

slim67

Yes it sucks for sure. Sadly they dont see what all of you and I see when something like that shows up. Best i can hope for is that maybe one of the employees is going to take it. It was off to the side in a way that would make you think someone has dibs on it. I would have to think about breaking the law if it was an RJ/ Suburban sitting there. Wish I had a drone with a grapple. Thanks for all your comments.

• Like 5

ohiofarmer

Well, maybe you need to take another load and then load that puppy on your truck. When you get back on the scales, it is as if you decided to keep part of your own scrap.If there is any stealing going on, it is just the mark-up they would get on a hundred pounds upon resale, probably less than 50 cents. It would be entirely reasonable for a scrap picker to have a big load on his truck coming in to the yard and save out an item or two as "good' or free items picked up along his route on the way to the yard

I spotted a heavy round plate that was torched out and made a wheel bearing  hub puller out of it for a one ton Dodge 4WD. I paid for it with my dumped out scrap, so no harm done. BTW, the Dodge mechanics i talked to said there was no way to remove that bearing and they always just torch off the entire assembly. Think of a "welded on"  wheel Horse steering wheel. On steroids.

I think that probably the biggest issue is injury from someone wandering about. Once they grant that permission, they are on the hook for your safety

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

slim67
4 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

Well, maybe you need to take another load and then load that puppy on your truck. When you get back on the scales, it is as if you decided to keep part of your own scrap.If there is any stealing going on, it is just the mark-up they would get on a hundred pounds upon resale, probably less than 50 cents. It would be entirely reasonable for a scrap picker to have a big load on his truck coming in to the yard and save out an item or two as "good' or free items picked up along his route on the way to the yard

I spotted a heavy round plate that was torched out and made a wheel bearing  hub puller out of it for a one ton Dodge 4WD. I paid for it with my dumped out scrap, so no harm done. BTW, the Dodge mechanics i talked to said there was no way to remove that bearing and they always just torch off the entire assembly. Think of a "welded on"  wheel Horse steering wheel. On steroids.

I think that probably the biggest issue is injury from someone wandering about. Once they grant that permission, they are on the hook for your safety

LOL  Yes all kinds of things were going through my mind as I was pulling out of the yard. There was an operator with a rubber tired excavator nearby. I should have talked to him. It was too far away to carry it to truck.

WHX??

Old days Slim a 12 pack of a man's favorite beverage would make a lot of things happen...just sayin :lol:

• Like 4

slim67
1 hour ago, WHX9 said:

Old days Slim a 12 pack of a man's favorite beverage would make a lot of things happen...just sayin :lol:

LOL yes it would. I have seen it in action. When I was drinking it would work for me.

can whlvr

its the same at my scrap yard,i offered the owner 10 times what the piece was worth to him,no go,it wasn't a wheelhorse,it was scaffolding but I know many,many tractors of all kind go into the shredder,so sad but they arnt in the used machinery business,i try not to look to hard when I go there

• Like 1

slim67
44 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

its the same at my scrap yard,i offered the owner 10 times what the piece was worth to him,no go,it wasn't a wheelhorse,it was scaffolding but I know many,many tractors of all kind go into the shredder,so sad but they arnt in the used machinery business,i try not to look to hard when I go there

You would think they would jump on it! It's probably more than they will get for it.

Pullstart

one of those "Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.." times.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

slim67
9 hours ago, pullstart said:

one of those "Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission.." times.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

You may be right my friend but a tractor salvage yard i started going to recently had one in useable condition i may get for a really good price. If they crushed the blade i referred to my my first post, then they need to go to Wheelhorse jail. A very nasty place.

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i miss the one local yard around here ill link some of the stuff i bought out of there. the yard was named Pauls auto yard in Demotte Indiana, sad that they went out of business. 

this here is one of my babies. since i bought it a few years ago its been repainted and hardly comes out of shed now lol.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/14-craftsman-sears-forum/251384-sry-but-i-did-again-saved-another-crusher.html

then theres this 40 dollar scrapyard find 

http://www.mytractorforum.com/13-toro-wheelhorse-forum/240875-i-hoping-someone-might-narrow-down-year-yard-cart.html

then this one 30 dollars

http://www.mytractorforum.com/13-toro-wheelhorse-forum/207784-wheel-horse-trailor-question.html

from same yard i paid 10 bucks for set of front toro made wheel horse hubcaps

but when i was buying stuff from the yard i was writing down serial numbers and model numbers on purchase receipts.

i was over there 2 - 3 times a week bought over 40 tractors and what not

another good find was this grade blade for my sears. paid 20 bucks for it worth around 150

http://www.mytractorforum.com/14-craftsman-sears-forum/270829-wooot-found-something-scrapyard.html

• Like 1

slim67
10 hours ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

i miss the one local yard around here ill link some of the stuff i bought out of there. the yard was named Pauls auto yard in Demotte Indiana, sad that they went out of business. 

this here is one of my babies. since i bought it a few years ago its been repainted and hardly comes out of shed now lol.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/14-craftsman-sears-forum/251384-sry-but-i-did-again-saved-another-crusher.html

then theres this 40 dollar scrapyard find 

http://www.mytractorforum.com/13-toro-wheelhorse-forum/240875-i-hoping-someone-might-narrow-down-year-yard-cart.html

then this one 30 dollars

http://www.mytractorforum.com/13-toro-wheelhorse-forum/207784-wheel-horse-trailor-question.html

from same yard i paid 10 bucks for set of front toro made wheel horse hubcaps

but when i was buying stuff from the yard i was writing down serial numbers and model numbers on purchase receipts.

i was over there 2 - 3 times a week bought over 40 tractors and what not

another good find was this grade blade for my sears. paid 20 bucks for it worth around 150

http://www.mytractorforum.com/14-craftsman-sears-forum/270829-wooot-found-something-scrapyard.html

Nice finds there. A friend of my Dads gave me a suburban with the briggs for free but it was pretty bad. I sold it and kept the factory wheel weights. I love the Sears line up to the 19.9. Between my Dad and I we have had about 7-8. I even got one off the curb! It was the orange and white paint scheme and either 10 or 12 hp flathead . I am rusty on the earlier years on the burbans but maybe a 69?. I found a Wheelhorse cart near me on CL for 100. I thought it would look nice behind my 400 when its done. The sticker was faded though. Nice to meet another Sears guy and nice tractor for 100.