857 horse

When is enuff,,,enough ???

857 horse

OK guys,,,,a real question,,,,My 857,,,,front line go to machine....I have added wheel horse weights on the rear BOTH SIDES !!!!!  now,,,,,,do I fill the rears as well.....to much for 1" axles Go wider with the blade  42"  to 48"................to much for those smaller axles......?????       gimme your thoughts...leave it as is???   Last year was just outside weights,,,,,,Then !!!!! I saw Ed K.  stackum  hi....

kinnda curious......................

thanks Boyzz

Edited by 857 horse
  • Like 5

Ed Kennell

All of the above Howie ......and you will never see snow again.    It worked for me.

• Like 6

SylvanLakeWH

I am running my C-105 without weights this year and through two 6" - 9" snow falls it has been fine with just chains. Last year I had a 100 lbs stack on the back. Truth be told - no difference noted by me (and for the record I have LOST 15 lbs since last year)...My son does numerous neighbor drives and weighs 50 lbs less than me and he has had no issues as well.

Keep in mind...Bigger blade = more resistance = more potential for spinning tires.

:twocents-02cents:

• Like 6

R. L. Addison

From past experience, I filled tires with calcium chloride and wheels rotted off the tractor! If you prefer loaded tires you will still need chains or bar-cleats. I always preferred  bar-cleats, especially when I had my loader.

• Like 3

Tankman

Have wheel weights, seldom used. 48" plow, turf tires, chains.

Never a problem. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

857 horse

OK....you guys reminded me...I forgot,,,i have turfs and chains....no cleats....I'm not saying I had nite mares....but with a good wind if Eds machine ever blew over,,,,,i wouldnt have a chance...that is one STACKED machine......show um Ed..  lololo

• Like 3

DTOM

I would leave your existing set up the way it is or add a bigger machine to your collection:techie-eureka:

• Like 8

elcamino/wheelhorse

@857 horse Howard just eat more potatoes and bread , that will add a few pounds.:ROTF:

• Like 8

SylvanLakeWH

Well enough said...:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

ACman

:text-yeahthat: all that ... just look at me , a few more pounds doesn't hurt :ychain: !

• Like 4

82Caddy

On this subject, I have a commando 800 that I swapped 12" rear and 8" fronts onto with 1" axles.  All tires are tubed and fluid filled (RV antifreeze) with outer weights (plastic 50# rear, 25# cast fronts), rears have inner cast weights.  I haven't had any problems pushing snow with a 48" blade.  Only problem was when I ran out of fuel at the bottom of the driveway and the battery was dead.  Had to get another tractor to pull it back to the top of the driveway. :hide:

• Like 8

roadapples
2 hours ago, Jrblanke said:

I'm thinking since we don't know when enuff is enough you should continue to test the limits until we know how much enuff is. Then we will subtract just enuff to make enuff enough. 

Good enough?

I actually think that makes sense...:bow-blue:

• Like 7

squonk

Fill the tires with RV Freeze or rimguard. As you are plowing and hit a snowpile, the momentum of the rolling fluid will push you further. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

857 horse

I do believe,,,James clearly cleared this up,,,  looks like Caddy sounds like where I was going,,So now,,,with all the :twocents-02cents: I have collected,,I just might get a cup of coffee,,,check the oil and top off the gas,,,,sit a bit and waite !!!!!!

There will be pics of the ensuing flurries !!!!!   film at 11...

One last thing,,,,if I find an I HOP  ,,,would I call it the Ed Stack,,,or a Bud Andrews stack  ?????

Howard  in Va:banana-tux::banana-tux::banana-rock::banana-rock:

• Like 4

Sarge

There are a few places that I clear up in the winter that have some grades and drop-offs at the end of a drive or lot - those are the places I used to get stuck too . I loaded the rear Carlisle Tru Power ags with around 7.5 gallons each of RV antifreeze , 50lb cast iron weights and just for grins put the 2-link chains on it . That 1277 has lived like that for 4yrs now and has never gotten stuck .

However , the rear transmission mounting plate where the hydrostat bolts on - that broke in several places , again . It has to be replaced in the spring (no garage) and a whole new plate from heavier steel will be built to keep the mounting points the same . I may also tie into the case bolts on the rear end to insure it doesn't rip out the bottom two bolts from the cast iron . The old warrior not only has worn these shoes for snow , but has moved tons of gravel , rock , dirt , clay and other material year round as well as some occasional mowing duty . I've never really cared if it tears up the ground and it never has although asphalt will suffer greatly from those rear tires .

This monster wears it's blower , center grader blade and front dozer blade quite well and is known for being amazingly capable around town - some people are bummed it's "down for awhile" but I also have the big D-180 running a similar setup except with no liquid in it's tires , it's just a lot heavier to start with and doesn't seem to need it .

I guess my point is this - when enuff is enough , be prepared for the consequences . I knew that going in but with my skill set I knew I could fix it if needed , and I'd be surprised if there isn't some serious wear in the 2-pinion automotive rear differential and gears as well . Hubs and wheel bearings will be inspected in the spring as well , I expect a need for additional parts in those areas and that's fine - it's done more than enough work to justify it and lasted far longer than I ever expected .

Sarge

• Like 4

WHX??

:text-imsorry: Howard but you know the rules.... :text-worthless:......and all the bananas in the world dancing is.....not gonna change the fact.....:wwp:

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Jim, you should know, all good writers like Howard have a knack for keeping the readers in suspense while whipping them into a frenzy as they wait for the final chapter.

• Like 5

WHX??

True True.... :lol:

• Like 2

Ken B

I'll be the second guy that says stick with the 42 inch blade on an 857 if you don't already have a 48.. You'll be happy you did if the snow is deep and heavy, especially if you are pushing snow on a smooth black top driveway or if you have hills... Enjoy the seat time, who's in a hurry?

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 6

Racinbob

I was given a snow blade that I have restored. It will be going on the 500 Special and be my snow pusher in Indiana. The rears are 23-8.50 and I'll have 2 link chains and weights on it. I actually didn't know if it was a 42" or 48" so I just ran out to measure it. 42". I'm fine with that. Howard, if you want a 48" go for it. You don't need to worry about the 1" axles. Even with weights and chains you'll lose traction before you reach the breaking point. Now with Ed's stacked machine............:)

• Like 6

953 nut

This is the driveway that my 1055 with 42" blade has pushed snow on with turfs wrapped with 4 link chains, 35# of weight per rear tire and my 185 pound butt in the seat. I built a rear weight box for this winter and am sure it will help, but not an absolute must.

010.JPG

• Like 8

Jrblanke

Howard, how about posting a picture of that 857 dressed in its winter duty. 

• Like 3