Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

R U KIDDING ME!!!

Docwheelhorse

Hello All, I come home from work and theres heavy black smoke pouring out of my chimney. I go downstairs and open the inspection port on the boiler and flames blow out backwards 6" :omg: . I call the oil guy and he says theres a dead critter in my chimney for sure and that it will be $270 to come out tonight or $180 tommorow---I tell him to come out tonight so that the misses has a nice warm shower and heat and that the whole family doesn't die of a Co2 incident. Well here comes the tech and I tell him DON'T COME DOWN THE DRIVEWAY..... its steep and all ice---even with the 400 lbs of sand I have spread. Well he ignores me and parked at the bottom is my wifes '02 Subaru to the right and my '04 Blazer to the left. With about 6' between them. Well wouldn't you know that the dumbass ignores me and the van slides all the way down the driveway and WEDGES itself between the two cars and scars up my door and puts a dent in it and at the same time bends in the panel below the tail light on the wifes Subaru and scrapes up the quarter panel. :D The "kid" 21 years old.... called his boss and it will all be straightened out and my furnace is up and running beautifully---turned out to be 500 lbs of soot and not a critter---should of had it serviced more often :imstupid: But jeebus crminies... I had to take a hit and listen to the wife :hide: and it turns out to be all my fault because I should of spread 6 tons of sand..... :hide:

Tony

Lane Ranger

Tony:

Please don't take this wrong but I think you are going to have to

invest in a Turkish Evil Eye Protector! And you need to set it very close to you!

It keeps those evil spirits away.

There is such a thing and I have one on my desk!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_eye

Lane

HorseFixer

Sorry to here that Tony! :D The breeching on the boiler stack and all should be vaccumed every year every two at most. Did he service the burner also? Including change nozzel, clean electrode assembly, service and change oil filter cartridge? This should be done yearly also. Draft of the barametric damper should be set between 3 to 4" wc :hide:

Docwheelhorse

HI--yes I got the whole nine yards and this tech knew the other company that I generally had my work done by. Just this year they (the old company) changed the nozzle and filter and not once did anybody mention taking apart the chimney etc... and cleaning it out.... I liked this new guy (except for wrecking the cars :D ) and have kept his number for future reference. When he took out the filter and nozzle he didn't want to accuse the other company but he said it didn't look like they even changed it :hide:

Tony

HorseFixer

Is your oil tank inside or outside and how old?

COMB2

Wow $270 that sounds like a steal for all that. It's $90 for us to show up then what ever part you need. Take our cost and put about 125% mark up on it and then what ever other things we can hit you up for that you haven't got done in the last 6-7 years. Get your Furnaces and A/C checked every year :hide:

noncritical

a 12 gauge shotgun cleans the chimney out real good

Docwheelhorse

Horsefixer--my tank is inside and this is its 13th season....

Tony

Rollerman

Tony says a lot about the guy if he wrecked both your cars & you still liked him?/

Just curious....was Mike anywhere near buy with a water hose? :hide:

jerrell

glad you got it fixed, hell hath no fury such as a woman's scorn,

with thos temp up there that would be a serious situation, do you have a back up heat?

i have total electric house but also have a wood burning fireplace, but use butane gas logs in it, just in case the power goes off.

when i first built the house used wood for the first two years and decided to go butane, had to send a big round brush down the chimmney to get the soot and cresote out, that stuff causes a lot of house fires down here.. people not cleaning them regularly, supposed to clean a wood burner every year ...don't know anything about an oil burner, is that a form of diesel or kerosene? and that's a bummer about the cars, snowed in , wrecked cars, and no heat, now that's the pitts.