Jim Leh

C141 automatic 1979

Jim Leh

Hi, Jim Leh here in Chebooygan, Mi. I have a c141. 1979 automatic with Sundstrand transmission. I have searched everywhere ( including here), to find out how to drain the hydrostatic fluid. The unit operates perfectly, but when I got it the fluid level was very low(but clean) and it has a non wheelhorse non Napa filter on it. I want to replace both so I'm assured its proper. So, how do you drain the fluid? Thanks for the help.   Jim 

Achto

:WRS:  Did you happen to find the manual for your tractor? Check the manuals section, I would think the info would be in there.

Jim Leh

Got manual off internet.  Says nothing about how to drain fluid. Even got a Sundstrand manual - again says nothing about how to drain fluid/ location of drain plugs etc. is this a sealed unit? But maintenance in manual says to replace fluid every 500 hours / 2 years.  So how do you drain the fluid???

benji756

there may be a drain plug on the bottom or on the side close to the bottom that takes a allen wrench and the hole is filled with grease or crap so you don't see it.

possibly on the left rear near the hitch

roadapples

:WRS:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good to see ANOTHER Michigander!!!

Did you check this one out in the "Manuals/Transmissions" section here on RS?

Transmission Hydro Sundstrand SM #492-4206.pdf

Good Luck!

Jim Leh
6 hours ago, roadapples said:

:WRS:

I did.  Says nothing about a drain plug. It is either so obvious that they don't mention it or you remove the transmission and turn it upside down to drain it. Neither makes sense. Even car oil change directions show drain plug and how do you miss that!  Hopefully I'll hear from somebody that has performed this maintenance and can help me.   Thank you. 

rmaynard
8 hours ago, benji756 said:

there may be a drain plug on the bottom or on the side close to the bottom that takes a allen wrench and the hole is filled with grease or crap so you don't see it.

possibly on the left rear near the hitch

What he said...

121tran.png

Oh, and :WRS:

• Like 2

Jim Leh

Thanks, I'll check that out.

953 nut

:WRS:     One other consideration, you should jack up the front of the :wh: while draining to ensure complete emptying. The casting has a hump in the middle which will trap part of the old fluid if you don't.

• Like 2

pfrederi

It should take a 1/4"  Allen wrench to open the drain.  As indicated above it is probably packed with junk and hard to see

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1