cschannuth

Shift Control Spring

cschannuth

What is the purpose of this spring on a late model 314-8?

image.jpeg

daveoman1966

Schematic call this the SHIFT CONTROL SPRING and is part # 99-8028.  Schematic doesn't disclose purpose... presumably to keep it from jumping out of gear or maybe as an anti-rattle device.  

cschannuth

Yeah, I saw that on the schematic.  It makes it very difficult to shift smoothly. It's more of an anti-shift spring. LOL

I'd like to remove it but if it has a purpose I hate to do that. 

rmaynard
57 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

...It makes it very difficult to shift smoothly....

:think: Shift smoothly? Are you trying to shift while moving? That's a no no. Tractor should be stopped when moving between gears. If what you are referring to is difficulty placing it in or out of gear, I would try removing it, see if it becomes easier. If nothing detrimental happens, leave it off.

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 2

cschannuth
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

:think: Shift smoothly? Are you trying to shift while moving? That's a no no. Tractor should be stopped when moving between gears. If what you are referring to is difficulty placing it in or out of gear, I would try removing it, see if it becomes easier. If nothing detrimental happens, leave it off.

No. I only shift when standing still. The spring holds so tightly you have to jerk the shift lever in and out of gear.  My other tractors all shift easily in and out of gear and are older so they don't have the spring. 

I was just hoping that someone had experience with removing the spring and could let me know if it had any negative effect. 

bmsgaffer

I would bet a lot that this was designed to prevent people from trying to shift it like a car while moving... You can see they put it on the intermediate gears 1 - 3 so it would be hard to quick shift...

cschannuth

In case anyone was wondering, I removed the spring and it works well now.  In fact, the shift lever itself is spring loaded so it never touches the shift plate to produce rattles.  I think Brandon is correct.  It was meant to prevent shifting easily while moving (or any other time for that matter).

Craig

Racinbob

I don't know what years they used those but I'll bet it wasn't many. All the other years they didn't use them and everything was fine so I think you did good by removing them. On my 2005 the shifter was spring loaded to the rear. That was to activate a neutral safety switch. That didn't last long. :)

stevasaurus

I just have to say this...butt head that I can be.  Spinach might help!!  :ychain:

• Like 3

cschannuth
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I don't know what years they used those but I'll bet it wasn't many. All the other years they didn't use them and everything was fine so I think you did good by removing them. On my 2005 the shifter was spring loaded to the rear. That was to activate a neutral safety switch. That didn't last long. :)

This is on a 2000. It has so many safety "features" that I'm still not sure why it won't start or why it shuts down from time to time. The goofy reverse key switch under the seat that allows you to mow in reverse is really over the top. 

Racinbob

I hear that. I don't advocate removing the safety devices but I know what I do to some of them. :rolleyes: