Duramax7man7

When do you paint your Wheels?

Duramax7man7

Hey Gang. Purchased new Tires and wanted to freshen up the wheels a bit while I have them off. What and when is the best method.

While the tires are off and let a shop put the tires on or tape off the tires really meticulously and paint the rims after tires are on to avoid scratching the new paint?

Thanks.

Achto
14 minutes ago, Mastiffman said:

What and when is the best method.

While the tires are off and let a shop put the tires on or tape off the tires really meticulously and paint the rims after tires are on to avoid scratching the new paint?

I prefer to paint my rims with the tires off. This allows me to make sure the inside of the rim gets protected with paint, especially when using tubes. When I put the tire on I put it on from the back or inside of the rim. If I use a tire machine I use this same practice. This way the outside of the rim that you'll see never gets a tool laid on it. I will brush touch any chips or scratches on the inside lip before I put the wheel back on.

Edited by achto
  • Like 8

Duramax7man7

Nice! This is exactly what I was looking for... Great Info! Right to the point.

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-yeahthat:   As an added measure of protection you can run electrical tape around the edge of the rim and remove it prior to inflation.  :twocents-02cents:

• Like 9

Racinbob

I actually prefer to paint with the tires mounted. I use a Harbor Freight tire thingy and it does scratch the rims quite a bit. On both my Suburban and 500 Special I wanted to tube the tires. When I had the tires off I sprayed the inside of the rim. I mounted the tires, seated the beads and deflated them. I used 8.5"x11" card stock cut to the radius of the rim on one long side and they will easily slide inside the perimeter of the rim. To protect from overspray I use newspaper to cover the treads. Once painted they slip right out and inflate them again. No worries about scratches. :)

• Like 9

Johndeereelfman
22 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:text-yeahthat:   As an added measure of protection you can run electrical tape around the edge of the rim and remove it prior to inflation.  :twocents-02cents:

When mounting my tires, I use gas line hose. Split it length wise, then run it around the edge of your rim and cut it to length. I use the gas line hose on the bottom edge, and for the top edge, I use a rubber channel that John Deere uses for around the edge of the dash to protect the fiberglass hoods. 

Once the tire is mounted, I tape off the entire tire, as I hate over spray on tires!!! :no:If you choose to tape off the tires, use the blue painters tape, as standard masking tape will melt in the sun or heat and will cause the glue to stick to the surface of your tires.

• Like 5

Duramax7man7

All great suggestions that I will defintely try out and find what works best.

I don't have a sand blaster and only have wire wheels on drills and sand paper... Good enough?

Also, what is the best paint to use? Few coats of Rustoleum and then a clear coat as well? 

Edited by Mastiffman

Racinbob

Rustoleum is good. I used Krylon on my 500 Special. I like the way it sprays a bit better. I went with white on this one. You may want to use a beige or ivory. :)

080116 3.JPG

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 9

Achto
36 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Rustoleum is good. I used Krylon on my 500 Special. I like the way is sprays a bit better.

I agree Bob! Krylon sprays better & takes lees time between coats, I just don't have the patients to wait for Rustoleum to become tacky between coats.:sad-bored: If I'm going to take all day painting some thing I'll use acrylic enamel through my spray gun, it actually  takes much! much! less time.  :twocents-twocents:

• Like 1

857 horse

Bob......that looks great.!!!!!

you will have to keep it inside ,,,,,unless   somthing comes up,   I hate a new paint job to get in this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

,,Howard3.jpg

• Like 1

AMC RULES

If you've never tried it...

I gotta say, I was quite suprised today with my first time using the NAPA branded spray paint. 

Nicely priced, great coverage, and seems to dry to the touch almost immediately too.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

IMG_5924.JPG

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Hey Craig, What NAPA color is closest to Regal Red

Duramax7man7

That looks good Bob! So you recommend an off white instead of white?

Do you guys use primer as well or just the paint itself after surface prep?  

I picked up some rustoleum white and clear as well as gloss black and semi-gloss to play around with on some black areas. Still waiting on parts for my pressure washer as well. That will allow me to clean up the tractor and then see what all I'm working with everywhere else. 

Great. Now I'm wondering if I should return the Rustoleum and get some of that NAPA paint. Where's the best place to pick that stuff up? Online?

Edited by Mastiffman

Achto
1 hour ago, Mastiffman said:

Do you guys use primer as well or just the paint itself after surface prep?

I always use primer on bare metal, even better if you use a self etching primer on the bare metal.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

Primer. Better if self etching. Check!

Okay. So I managed to get the rims off, cleaned and degreased. I wrestled one tire off spending most of the time on the beads. What a pain without any type of tire machine or bead breaker. I might have to pick one up. I will say though, the beads were tougher on this bigger rim but removing the tire was tougher on a 6" rim... Cant wait to slam a 6ply tire on this thing. :o/

I  took a wire wheel to everything I could and 220 grit sandpaper to the rest. As I dont have a sand blaster or anything. Am I supposed to go down to bare metal? Here are before and after. I heard of a product that NAPA makes that deactivates (?) any left over rust and simultaneously primes the surface. Good idea or no. 

IMG_20161018_34125.jpg

IMG_20161018_18516.jpg

IMG_20161018_48382.jpg

IMG_20161018_0178.jpg

RedRanger

As long as you get all the loose paint and rust off, you don't need to strip the entire wheel.  I'd prime those with self etching primer and then a few coats of high build filler primer and sand between coats.  Then paint.  The filler primer will smooth it out a lot.

I've had my rims sand blasted and powder coated.

I'd replace the valve stems while you're at it too.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 2

Achto

:text-yeahthat: Also any rust left on the metal will come back to haunt you some day. Make sure the inside of the rim is cleaned up too. In my experience the inside of rims are some times rusted worse than the out sides. You won't see it once the tires on but it will eventually work its way through.

• Like 2

Duramax7man7

Red Ranger and ochto, 

Okay, will do. What recommendations on those primers can you give. What store. Will try to get some while I'm out today. 

Achto
26 minutes ago, Mastiffman said:

Okay, will do. What recommendations on those primers can you give.

Most paint manufacturers have a self etching primer and a regular primer. I would definitely suggest picking one manufacture and stay with them start to finish. You will have much better results.  

• Like 2

RedRanger
9 minutes ago, achto said:

Most paint manufacturers have a self etching primer and a regular primer. I would definitely suggest picking one manufacture and stay with them start to finish. You will have much better results.  

Agreed.  Mixing brands will sometimes cause issues.  I usually keep all primers the same brand and make sure they are cured before top coating.

I've been using Duplicolor primers from Advance Auto and Oreillys Auto Parts lately.  They spray nice and cover very well.

They both sell Duplicolor.

Self Etching primer for bare metal.  http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/duplicolor-self-etching-primer-12-oz-aerosol-dap1690/7140110-P?searchTerm=self+etching

This high build formula works great for filling scratches and smoothing things out. Much better than regular primer. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/duplicolor-filler-primer-gray-12-oz-aerosol-fp101/7140770-P?searchTerm=primer

And like achto said, got to get rid of all rust or it will return in a year or so.  Leaving rust (even the little black spots in the pores of the steel) is like drilling part of a tooth cavity and covering it with a filling.  If you don't get rid of all of it, it will return in no time.

I prefer to sandblast the parts to get rid of all rust, but if you can't blast, try this to get rid of the rust after you're done scraping and sanding the rust down.  http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/evapo-rust-rust-remover-32-oz.-er004/10182522-P?searchTerm=evapo-rust

The self etching primer will also help kill the very small stuff.  It has an acid in it.

• Like 1

Duramax7man7

SO here is what I have in store for the rims.... With the addition of some Tack Cloth and Iso. Alcohol.

20161020_093624_HDR.jpg

doc724

Speaking of paint.  I am painting the wheels on my C125 restoration project.  I went to pick up a can of Rustoleum Navajo White which I used on my C141 and was not able to find it.  In its place was "Canvas White".  It is an off white, lighter than Navajo White.  I picked up a can and will try it tomorrow.  I wonder if this is a reformulation/renamed paint for Rustoleum "Linen" which was discontinued several years ago?

• Like 1

RedRanger
11 minutes ago, doc724 said:

Speaking of paint.  I am painting the wheels on my C125 restoration project.  I went to pick up a can of Rustoleum Navajo White which I used on my C141 and was not able to find it.  In its place was "Canvas White".  It is an off white, lighter than Navajo White.  I picked up a can and will try it tomorrow.  I wonder if this is a reformulation/renamed paint for Rustoleum "Linen" which was discontinued several years ago?

All are a bit different.  Canvas white is what I use though.

Duramax7man7

Thanks for Chimming in. I've been considering taking my white cans back and hunting down some off white as well. 

This was a little while after using the "Rust Fix" inhibitor/ primer. 

20161020_225020_HDR.jpg

20161020_225034_HDR.jpg

RedRanger

Those look good.  Filler primer-sand-filler primer-sand-paint.

They'll look great.

Just for reference...

These front rims are Canvas White.  Rear rims are painted gloss white by the po.

Canvas white looks real close to original.  Some posts on here even state canvas white as the OE color.  Not as dark as Antique, but a better looking color IMO.

025.jpg