Sign in to follow this  
KyBlue

Lets see some tools

KyBlue

We did the messy Garage thing, and managed to get Duke out cleaning his..AND finishing his storage room. I think its time to see some Tool collections. I know for me, my tool collection is a rather large investment and quite a source of pride - I'm sure its that way for others so Grab The camera...and lets see some tools!!

KyBlue

Well I just realized all my tool pics are on the desktop Hard disc Drive... Sold the Desktop, kept the HDD...

So I'll have to take some more. Some of my boxes are here, some aint and some have been sold, traded, etc etc.

Heres the current setup here at the house, thats overflowing..

48636.JPG

What I'd LOVE to have but dont wanna lay out the $$ for it

56577.JPG

What my dealer is holding for me

50736.JPG

BairleaFarm

I buy anything that works and im not scared to try the cheap stuff first. ive got everything from snap on to matco to harbor freight in my boxes. Kobalt at lowes seem to be doing well. I wont buy snap on or others like them due to three price. IMHO it isnt worth the cost.

HorseFixer

I like Crapman Tools for all around usage because of price and warranty. I have Snapon, Mac, Cornwell, Wright and others but I would say I have 80% Crapman on hand tools, and 20% mixture of everyone else. When It comes to power tools I like Milwaukee. On Cordless I go with Black & Decker Again Because Of Value of the batteries and chargers.

GARAGE003.jpg

GARAGE015.jpg

GARAGE009.jpg

KyBlue

Thats a nice collection Duke!!

I never liked the Crapsman Toolboxes thou, feel cheap. But for the $$$ I guess you cant really complain.

Well Organized!

HorseFixer

Thats a nice collection Duke!!

I never liked the Crapsman Toolboxes thou, feel cheap. But for the $$$ I guess you cant really complain.

Well Organized!

Scott Yeah I had a Snappy Top Box I baught years ago for a steal, Years Later I Sold It for way more than I paid in the first place and got both of those you see with Ball Bearing Drawers And Plus A Bunch "O" Tools for what I sold It for. I just can see spending that kind of money for a tool box. If I was a Mechanic Opening those drawers 100's of times a day that would be different! Those work well for me and is all I need. Keep um clean and drawers greased and they will last the homeowner a lifetime! :hide:

Brrly1

Duke I guess you can say that one is never enough!!! Burly :D :hide:

Stigian

I sometimes buy cheap tools, but most of my tools buys is when i spot something i need at a good price :hide:

My best tool is an old snap-on screwdriver that i found years ago :D

Kelly

I don't have pic's of my tools, but I make my living with my tools, and I use to say Snap-on is not worth it, but 25 years later I mainly buy Snap-on yes they cost more but they are nice, if I didn't use them every day no, I wouldn't buy them, biggest example I can think of is my 1/4" air ratchet I've had $50 cheapies and they last a month or so, and $150 Mac ones they last 7-8 months before needing rebuilt, so I bit the bullet and bought a $325 Snap-on lasted almost 2 years before needing a rebuild and cost the same as Mac to rebuild about $100, at work I have tens of thousands of dollars in tools, heck one drawer I have 75+ pair of Vise grips from tiny 3" ones to ones 24" long all kinds of them to clamp panels, to weld I've used almost everyone on a few big jobs, But at home I have about everything mostly my old tools from work as I upgrade, I buy tools all the time I'd have no life with out tools no job, no hobby, no fixing my own cars, I'd be lost with out tools.

TJ

I have a complete set of Duralast hand tools from Auto Zone. Every six months or so they add something new, and I buy it. I like the quality and the price. I fill in the gapes with Craftsman, and Snap-On. I love Snap-On, and if tools were how I made a living, that is what I would own.

I have two old Kennedy tool boxes, (they don't have roller bearings, but you can't beat the quality of construction) and a large MAC tool box.

I don' think you can own to many tools. Iv'e bought tools at auctions and garage sales that I wasn't sure what they were, I just knew they would come in handy someday, and almost without exception they did. I think that is probable true for most of us weekend warriors.

Fun topic.. :hide:

sorekiwi

I make my living with tools too. I have a lot of Snap-on, but the last few years we've had lousy service from our local Snap-on man, so I've been buying other stuff instead. For ratchets, wrenches, torque wrenches and screw drivers I really do prefer Snap-on - they're in my hand every day, and they feel right. Everything else, I'm not really too fussy, although I like S-k or Matco or other quality brands.

My tools at home seem to be like Kelly's - overflow from work, or stuff from work thats been replaced. I'll buy cheap stuff for a one off job, but I catch myself thinking "what a horrible piece of crap" every time I use it.

I have a few pieces of chinese machinery at home. I'd rather have something American, but its stuff I wouldnt be able to afford if it werent for the chinese. And I wouldnt want to make my living with it....

Drill bits and taps and dies I try to buy quality American, usually ends up being from Mcmaster Carr for conveniance.

For power tools, I really like Bosch. It hurts when you buy it, but then its a pleasure to use for years to come...

For toolboxes I've used everything from small Kennedy machinist boxes, to Snap-on and up to Lista roll arounds. I like the Waterloo boxes, I have one thats 20 years old and been bounced around the world twice now.

The best advice I ever got was: "get a box small enough that you can pick it up, put it in the trunk of a rental car, and get the hell outa there...."

HorseFixer

I like the Snap On Hand Tools like you guys too but thier Bigger Machines like welders are a JOKE all they are is cheap azz knock off century welders at 2 to 3 times the price $$ Ive seen some of their other machines like refrigerant reclaimers / recyclers /charging and they are cheap and weak compaired to what we use in the HVAC industry. All their transmission flushing radiator flushing stuff is just a couple pumps surrounded by a big cabinet on wheels with a couple switches and brass valves and gauges and they charge THOUSANDS! :hide:

KyBlue

I'll agree with ya on that one Duke. Not a fan of their machines, thou I do have a Blue Point Plasma cutter, there are better ones out there for the $$.

When it comes to that kinda stuff, I go where the quality is...

Nick

Im no mechanic and don't have anything fancy for tools, mostly Craftsman and a few cheaper HF type tools. I dont have a problem with some off-brand Harbor freight type tools but sears often has 50% sales bringing the prices close to the same.

Scott, I couldn't find a picture but I think my oldest brother has the same Snapon box your dealer is holding for ya. Only difference is its black. He was a auto and heavy truck mechanic (dump trucks and cement mixers) for around 20+ years. His wife was impressed when he brought it home from work and she found out what they cost. :hide:

Its also a good idea to have some tools in the truck. For this cheap tools are great, if they get stolen who cares. The wrench set from a tractor swap was around $10 and goes up to 1-1/4. The tool set was a gift, not sure of the actual tool brand but I think Snapon or Mac sold them.

tools004.jpgtools005.jpgtools006.jpg

My single favorite power tool. After getting over being leery of those thin HF cheap made in Russia discs possibly flying apart I use it for everything. The craftsman vibrates more than the Dewalt it replaced but has also outlasted it by years.

tools012.jpg

KyBlue

Mac sold those Nick. I had a set for awhile. Kept breaking the sockets and ratchets.. Traded em in for more Snap On Stuff ...

Teddy da Bear

I owe most everything to my Dad and Grandfather.

My Dad loved tools. But did not use them so much. But he sure collected them!

Without his collection, it would have been much more expensive for me to build

our home.

My grandfather was what was called a "car knocker" for the railroad. His job

involved fabricating and repairing the steam engines and cars in and around the

round house in the early last century. And some of the tools he collected that

were more or less custom made and huge!! I have lots of his stuff.

I still have the tool kits from his model T's, model A's and a Nash. Including all

the manuals. He collected trainman uniforms, watches, Service records for all

the repairs he made. Train schedules....etc.

While I was the first generation not to work for the railroad....I still keep up

the family tradition and have collected quite a few unique tools used by the

railroads.

KyBlue

TDB How about some pics?? Id love to see some of the stuff used on the turn of the century loco's and railcars..

My grandpa and great grandpa were both carmen for the DeSoto Car Shops.

fretscha

My tools are all from FACOM, MAKITA and BOSCH.

whchris

i did not see kline on the list.... i got a small tool bag with about 4,000 dollars in kline tools in it and it made me about 46,000 last year unfortunately i had some bills to pay so i am still broke

Rideawaysenior

I've got a mix and match. Mostly Craftsman because of the warranty, some from Harbor Freight because of the price, and some Snapon. I've got a 175 Hobart Handler Mig, and an old Lincoln toombstone stick welder. I did pickup a plasma cutter this year from an Ebay outfit called Everlast. I did this because it was cheap enough, and the warranty was for 5 years, no questions asked free replacement. I've used it several times already, it's a 50 amp 220v, and will cut the 1/2 in steel that is says it will.

The bigger tools I have are,

Blast cabinet and self contained blaster from HF

Jet Drill press

Mig and stick welder

Plasma cutter

Custom vented painting cabinet

Side by side Kenmore fridge

27" Magnavox color TV with cable

Oil fired furnace with wood stove backup

Reclining sofa

And once I add the addition like Duke, there will be a plumbed bathroom with running water. Hey, every man needs his hideout.

linen beige

Side by side Kenmore fridge

27" Magnavox color TV with cable

Oil fired furnace with wood stove backup

Reclining sofa

And once I add the addition like Duke, there will be a plumbed bathroom with running water. Hey, every man needs his hideout.

:hide: All your missing is a teenage polynesian girl to fetch stuff and rub your feet and you'll be :group:

My tools are an eclectic group. Mostly brand specific for their purpose.

Engine tools such as ring compressor, etc., are Lisle,

Electrical tools are Klein and Greenlee,

Drills are Black and Decker for the easy jobs and Milwaulkee for the heavy stuff,

Socket sets are K-mart! Same manufacturer and warranty as Craftsman at less than half the price! (This may have changed since Sears bought out K-Mart?) Extensions, swivels, etc. are Challenger, who I understand made tools for Crafstman? ,

Wrenches are a mix of Craftsman, Mac, Pittsburg, New Britain, Duo fit, Even a couple of Great Necks in there,

Vice Grips are from Petersen, Channel locks are fom Channel lock,

Screwdrivers are Stanley, because of the tapered grips.

Drill bits are Irwin,

Sandblasters from harbor freight and Jenni,

Lincoln mig welder,

Kobalt compressor, Crafstman smaller compressor (Both made by Campbell Hausfeld.)

Binks spray gun, Pasche air brush,

Rigid pipe wrenches,

Most of my larger power tools are more wood working oriented, but that is slowly changing. Rigid band saw, Craftsman radial arm saw, Ryobi sliding miter table saw, Craftsman routers and table.

My first tool purchase was an un-branded six inch six point 1/2 & 9/16 boxed end wrench in 1971. I paid 25 cents for it new! I've used it in conjunction with a five foot long piece of pipe and/or a BFH to break loose more stuck stuff than I can count and it shows no wear!

sorekiwi

Most of my larger power tools are more wood working oriented, but that is slowly changing. Rigid band saw, Craftsman radial arm saw, Ryobi sliding miter table saw, Craftsman routers and table.

You gotta BT3000, Jim? That is an awesome little tablesaw, I've had one about 7 years now.

HorseFixer

:D All your missing is a teenage polynesian girl to fetch stuff and rub your feet and you'll be :group:

My tools are an eclectic group. Mostly brand specific for their purpose.

Engine tools such as ring compressor, etc., are Lisle,

Electrical tools are Klein and Greenlee,

Drills are Black and Decker for the easy jobs and Milwaulkee for the heavy stuff,

Socket sets are K-mart! Same manufacturer and warranty as Craftsman at less than half the price! (This may have changed since Sears bought out K-Mart?) Extensions, swivels, etc. are Challenger, who I understand made tools for Crafstman? ,

Wrenches are a mix of Craftsman, Mac, Pittsburg, New Britain, Duo fit, Even a couple of Great Necks in there,

Vice Grips are from Petersen, Channel locks are fom Channel lock,

Screwdrivers are Stanley, because of the tapered grips.

Drill bits are Irwin,

Sandblasters from harbor freight and Jenni,

Lincoln mig welder,

Kobalt compressor, Crafstman smaller compressor (Both made by Campbell Hausfeld.)

Binks spray gun, Pasche air brush,

Rigid pipe wrenches,

My first tool purchase was an un-branded six inch six point 1/2 & 9/16 boxed end wrench in 1971. I paid 25 cents for it new! I've used it in conjunction with a five foot long piece of pipe and/or a BFH to break loose more stuck stuff than I can count and it shows no wear!

Damn Jim :hide: What Ya trying to do give us a complete Inventory :omg: Or ya just trying to OUT TOOL :hide: The OLE DUKE! <_< :omg:

big mike

Teddy D,my Great Grandfather probably engineered the steam engines your Grandfather or Dad worked on.....small world.

My Dad was a line mechanic early on and I have his collection of Snap-On boxes and tools mixed in with Matco and S-K.I also have Snap-On stuff I bought when I assembled race motors years back....piston hammer,torque wrenches etc.

The first tool I grab from the box is a neon orange Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver a friend gave me long ago.

Craftsman is ok.....if you can get ANYONE to actually help you get the one socket you freakin need!.....took 5 trys!

Dial up is killing me........my favorite newest tool was made in Bridgeport Conn. :banana:

IM000723.jpg

Welder(s):Lincoln SP250,Precision Tig 175,SP135,Millermatic 200/30A spoolgun,Miller Roughneck engine drive.

Plasma:Hypertherm Powermax 1000(3/4" thick @ 20" per minute.....that thing FLAT ROCKS!)

Wrenches?....Gearwrench brand.....the guy that invented those was a genius!

Mini 90 degree angle grinders from HF.....about 8......one for every purpose.

Electric power tools.....the one that fits ME....feels comfortable and has the right features.....Porter-Cable,Makita,Milwaukee,DeWalt.

Sometimes you have to look in the most unlikely place for good tools......bought a 60s Powermatic vertical bandsaw for 25 bucks from a realtor cleaning out an old sign shop(engine drive came from there too....50 bucks),mini Dunlap metal lathe out of the scrap yard for 5 bucks.You may have to gamble it's usable,fixable but if you know what to look for there are amazing deals out there.

• Like 1

linen beige

You gotta BT3000, Jim? That is an awesome little tablesaw, I've had one about 7 years now.

YessireeBob! It is a pretty sweet machine for the money. A little hard to install the riving knife when switching from crosscuts to rips, but it does what I need it to.

I bought mine about seven years ago too!