RMiller

Wheelhorse 312-8 hitch

RMiller

I recently purchased a Brinley 48 in pull behind aerator.  After assembling it and attempting to use it with my 312-8 I realized that the hitch is too low to allow for the aerator to ride level.  My local Toro dealer says they are unaware of any alternative hitches that would raise the height.  The current hitch sits 6.5 inches or so off the ground and to make the aerator level it would need to be almost 16 inches off the ground.  Is my only option to get a piece welded to my existing hitch to make this work?

953 nut

This should do the trick.

grinchsr

Maybe some thing like this

IMG_1136.JPG

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Could you post a picture? I've never seen a brinly product with a hitch that high!

tunahead72

Brandon, I'm glad you asked that question.  I don't know anything about Brinly attachments except what I've read here and elsewhere, but it does seem odd that they would sell a product to the garden tractor community that would require that much effort to hook up.

RMiller, photos would definitely help us understand.

RMiller

Im not actually sure Im struggling to include a picture!  Have it on my iphone at the moment

OK I figured it out.  Not the best picture in the world

IMG_0704[1].JPG

bmsgaffer

Oh that model!

Every picture I've seen of it running its tilted downwards towards the tractor, it shouldn't affect the operation that much but I know it would bug me too.

Don't forget that in operation those spoons should be sunk down in the ground 3 or 4 inches, so that will help things.

Tonyp

Ok, I guess I will ask, why does the aerator have to sit level ?  I've been pulling one ( Brinly 40")  for many many years now and it ain't level .It's slanted slightly forward behind the 310.  I never thought that it had to sit level plus  I don't think the ground knows !  

What I do  know is after each seasonal use, it has to be power washed and the tines need to be painted .  

310.jpg

Edited by Tonyp
  • Like 1

RMiller

Thanks for all the answers.  My first use did not go all that well.  It has been dry in NJ prior to the last few days.  Having put down a few inches of water I assumed it was moist enough for aeration but I really wasn't pulling any plugs.  So I went back to the installation directions and the final step called for leveling the tray.  That only allowed for about an inch and a half unless I replaced the bolts with something longer.  I found a welder who is adding a piece to my hitch.  I used about fifteen patio blocks for weight wrapped in beach towels to avoid scratching or rattling.  At some points the transport wheels were off the ground and I was still getting no plugs at all.  Perhaps after all this rain ill have better luck. 

Tonyp

Sounds odd, when I pull the 40, the transport wheels are basically off the ground by 2.5 to  3  inches  , I never actually  measured.  This ,  with the soil   loose and wet, the tines are  doing there job with 2  cinder blocks  which I am thinking is about 60  pounds.  Both the 40 and the 48 are designed to pull a max of a 3" plug with weight in the tray box. My experiences with wet  soil is easily 2 to 3 inches across the board  based on the lawn.   The aerator is leaning forward towards the hitch.

The 310 hitch is the same as the 312 hitch, it's the same tractor , maybe post a few photo's of the aerator on the stock  hitch.

One thing is for certain, DRY soil is very tuff to pull plugs  regardless of weight in the tray.

As far as scratching and cleaning, as stated earlier, power wash after each use and paint the whole thing . If you don't clean and paint the tines you can count on probably two seasons before they start to rust out and need to be replaced.

Edited by Tonyp

RMiller

Still waiting to get my hitch back from the welder.  I'll update with my results.  If I could pull this thing with my SUV I would since the cool nights are making for great grass growing conditions. 

clueless

I still think somethings not right. I own two  WHs a simplicity, and a john deere all are large garden tractors, all with clevis hitches, none come close to 16in high. Over the past 35 years I've used many brinly products, aerators, sweepers ,disc, plows, they all worked fine. With the weight you said you used you should be getting some plug depth unless its packed clay. Check your assembly again make sure everything is right.  

• Like 1

RMiller

OK Got my hitch welded and ran the aerator last Sunday.  Seems to be working fine now. 

IMG_0733[1].JPG

• Like 2

TDF5G

Ya need a cup holder now. :)

• Like 3

RMiller

Cup holder sounds like a great idea. 

• Like 4

Tonyp

It looks good but I am still not sure what was wrong with it being angled down . What was the problem ?

RMiller

Im not sure if the angle down was the problem or it the ground was just too hard when I initially used the aerator.  I questioned the angle because the final assembly instruction was to use the tray screws to level the tray.  Being level seemed to matter at that point.  When the unit was angled I was also offloading patio blocks in the yard as well.  That no longer happens. 

Tonyp

Thx, I am of the opinion that the angle forward has no effect whatsoever  on the actual aerating, as I have been pulling a 40" for easily 8 or 10 years now with no issues. Now, the patio blocks, sure if they are stacked and the aerator is leaning forward, yep they are going to slide off. They will probably slide off anyway just from the bumpy ride.  Maybe try a couple of cinder blocks which is approx 60 pounds.  

Trying to aerate on HARD soil is pretty much not going to happen unless you  are using a very big tractor with the aerator on a 3-point hitch .

glad it's all good for you now.  Don't forget to power wash the aerator and paint the weight box and tines when you are all done.