DennisThornton

Certainly love the Wheel Horses but I still have other appetites

DennisThornton

Just shook hands for a 2084 Cub Cadet.  Sometimes called a Super GT and I think Cyclops for some reason though it does have twin headlights.  26" rears, PS, I think tilt wheel, independent rear disc brakes and a 20hp Kohler Command.  Came with a big deck and snow blower but all in pieces since the PO was going to repaint them, though I'm not sure why...  She sat for 5 years and had a starter bendix issue but when it did start it would NOT move or steer. Price was right so I said I'd take it as is.  I gather that 3 point hitches were options and I gather front remote hydraulics but neither here.  She needs some TLC but if all she needs is hydraulic fluid I'm going to sing and dance for a while!  I'm really impressed with her so far!  Right up there and got some stuff that my XIs don't have!  Independent discs!  BIG tires!  Big Cub!

So I'm trying to gather up info quickly from a couple of the CC forums but I know there's some owners here as well.  If anyone here has some thoughts or tips I'm all ears.

Thanks!

• Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm going to sing and dance

:wwp:    of the Cub; not you singing and dancing!   :scared-eek:

• Like 1

DennisThornton
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:wwp:    of the Cub; not you singing and dancing!   :scared-eek:

Chuckle!  Richard!  You crack me up!  

And, believe me, you will get no pictures of me singing and dancing!

I've done a crash course in Super Cub Cadets and while they do have some issues it seems that all have been addressed, even though it took a forum member to design and market a support to keep the things from tearing out the rear end!  Serious problem from what I've read, but again, resolved for $130 plus shipping and a couple hours work.  Really nice machine is what I'm reading.  Now, fingers crossed that it doesn't need more than hydraulic fluid...

• Like 2

ACman

Is is it an earlier model with the two round headlights ( like your description ) or the later model with the big single lens . I cheated and searched images and I see how it got its nickname . Also found a pic of the rear end that looks to be pretty beefe , is it iron or aluminum ? I too have a soft spot for Cubs . Grandpa took an 1250 in on a trade and we used it to mow for years . I couldn't believe how fast that tractor was and man it would spin donuts ! 

DennisThornton
Just now, ACman said:

Is is it an earlier model with the two round headlights ( like your description ) or the later model with the big single lens . I cheated and searched images and I see how it got its nickname . Also found a pic of the rear end that looks to be pretty beefe , is it iron or aluminum ? I too have a soft spot for Cubs . Grandpa took an 1250 in on a trade and we used it to mow for years . I couldn't believe how fast that tractor was and man it would spin donuts ! 

I expected a single big lamp in some picture but found only two head lights.  Mine has two.

BIG rear end!  BIG!  But she's aluminum and they have issues with loose bolts and breaking mounts!  There's an aftermarket fix for $130 plus shipping though.  Other than that I've read of no major issues with them and LOTS of praise!

I hoping nothing major is wrong with it but I bought it right even if so.

• Like 1

ACman

Hope you don't mind , but here's a pic of the rear end housing , it looks big .

image.jpeg

Digger 66

................default_hilarious_zpsgedksgvq.gif                             

1 hour ago, ACman said:

• Like 1

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, ACman said:

image.jpeg

That's funny!  I just searched, found the very same picture and saved it!  Big isn't it!  Aluminum though and it caused some grief at the mounting points.  Word is the frame mount bolts come loose and then the aluminum cracks.  But if watched and kept tight then no issues.  Now an aftermarket kit fixes the issue completely.  What might not be obvious is the disc brakes.  More obvious on mine since they are drilled like high performance race car discs!  Wonder what size the axle are?

953 nut
3 hours ago, ACman said:

here's a pic of the rear end housing , it looks big .

I was expecting a picture of the Kardashian sisters!     :ychain:

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

No the forum does not need a picture of the sisters , hopefully Karl put a filter or a do hickey on the site to prevent those types of pictures from appearing.

• Like 1