Hukah

I didn't take the trans apart when I restored my 552.

the last time this thing actually worked was about 16 years ago, and the trans worked fine then.

whats happening now is, with the engine running I step on the brake but the drive pulley keeps spinning, locking me out from putting it into any gear.

anybody know what I'm up against?

N3PUY

:wwp: belt guard installed?   

Edited by N3PUY
  • Like 3

Achto

Sounds like you belt is dragging, could be because you pulleys are rusty or you belt is just stiff. Try removing the belt and polish the engine pulley up with some sand paper or scotch brite

• Like 3

Racinbob

I think N3PUY is on to something :)

• Like 1

Hukah

Thanks guys, I think you're onto the problem, but it seems that the tab/lever that would hold the belt off the idler pulley is missing?

anybody know what it looks like/where it goes on the guard?

Racinbob

I'm on a cheap tablet tonight that drives me nuts so  I can't help you tonight with a picture but I'll bet somebody will be along soon. If not I'll get you what you need tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

Terry M

20160514_075012.jpg

• Like 1

Hukah
31 minutes ago, Terry M said:

20160514_075012.jpg

That piece is definitely not on that guard.

does it look like something I could fab up?

Terry M

I think it would be somewhat easy.  Give me a day or so... and I'll try to take some measurements for you from a belt guard that would be correct for your tractor . 

• Like 1

WHX??

Is there one on the top as well Terry? Some of my older guards have one on top and bottom and they definitely have to be there. I had the tip of one come off while mowing and it was a "grind" to get it back to the barn!

Check it to see if there was one on at one time. I think they were spot welded on so you might be able to see those.spots. They do wear down but easy to build back up with a bit of brazing rod.

• Like 3

Terry M
22 minutes ago, WHX61/3 said:

Is there one on the top as well Terry?

Well WX , not from what I've seen. I've only ever noticed them on the bottom...But all of my tractors are 1960's models so that's all I know about . 

And yes, spot welding is the best way to mount.   here's a list of tractors I have / had.:)

1962 Lawn Ranger 

1963 Lawn Ranger (parts tractor)

1964 Lawn Ranger  (Liza"s)

1965 Lawn Ranger ( sold to SHYNON)

1966 Lawn Ranger ( sold to Prondzy  )

1967 Lawn Ranger  L-107

1967 Lawn Ranger  L-157  (Andrew's)

1968 Lawn Ranger             (Alina's )

1964 Model 854   in original condition

1966 Model 606    Restored

1967 Model 857 

WHX??

Interesting Terry my 1067 has them top/bottom...looks like you & the Prodinsky boys have been doin some horse tradeing! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Racinbob

I have seen them on the top and bottom but I don't know the models. The majority are just on the bottom. :)

• Like 1

Terry M

@Hukah , I took these measurements from a Tecumseh powered short frame tractor like what you have...IMG_0380.jpgIMG_0381.jpgIMG_0382.jpgIMG_0383.jpg  

• Like 2

Hukah

Thanks @Terry M I can make that with those pics/measurements.

the last owner cut a notch in the guard near that location. I wondered what he was making "clearance" for.

i still don't get why he cut that like he did, but now I know what's missing from there.

i'll post some update photos once I get her primmed and preened.

• Like 1

WHX??

still don't get why he cut that like he did

Welcome to the wonderful world of hacked up horses Hukah. Why in the world would most of my old horses got butchered up like they are?  I like to think the PO's did it cause they knew we would have guys at RS like we do to help us put them back the way was intended. 

• Like 1

N3PUY

Is it fixed??????????   :wwp:

Hukah
On May 28, 2016 at 10:10 AM, N3PUY said:

Is it fixed??????????   :wwp:

Sort of....

I'm still tweeking it.

i am positive I have posted pics from my iPad before, but the last couple times I've tried to, it says I'm posting too big a file!?!?

ill take some pics and post them from my desktop shortly, but does anyone know what in doing wrong?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

About your pictures...read this thread.  :)

• Like 1