newtowheel

Onan what did i get into?

newtowheel

Hello all new to the site, I have a Wheel Horse  with an Onan D 160 16 horse twin cylinder engine BF-MS model if I remember right I believe it's a 1976. I bought it a few days ago changed the coil, rebuilt the carb, plugs, standard tune up. I tried to start it and it is back firing through the exhaust, carb, and smoking everywhere. Also shoots the dip stick out and oil all over. Haven't had a chance to test anything yet but any suggestions where to start? And thanks for any input you can give this is my first Wheel Horse really want to fix it up.

• Like 1

roadapples

Onan guys will be along soon. In the meantime   :WRS:

newtowheel

Thank you glad to be here.

r356c

:wh::WRS:

I don't have a D, but I can relate a small story about those vintage Onans.

In 2004, Florida got hit by three hurricanes. Charley, Frances and Jeanne.

I had recently completed a Class C RV restoration with a 1976 twin cylinder Onan generator onboard.

The generator got an oil change and new plugs during the restoration if I recall. Who knows how many hours were on the meter of the engine itself.

Long story short, my house had an additional 5 people besides my wife and myself during the hurricanes. All told we were out of utility power for two weeks.

The Onan ran 24/7 for two weeks. I shut it down once to change the oil, crossing my fingers that it would relight after the oil change. It did.

A Briggs engine box store portable generator I had at the time blew its rectifier diodes after about 10 hours if I recall.

Needless to say, I hold the twin cylinder Onan engines and generators in high regard.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@newtowheel :WRS:

It sounds like a timing issue to me...

Check our manuals section for your engine.

AMC RULES

:wwp:  :text-coolphotos:

:WRS:

lynnmor

You always start with a compression check.  If the patient has a bad heart, there is no use in doing exterior things till that surgery is complete.

• Like 2

r356c

"Also shoots the dip stick out and oil all over. "

Find the crankcase breather for this engine and give it a good cleaning. It is clogged.

The only other thing that could possibly cause that is -way- overfilling the oil.

It usually takes a long time of sitting for the crud in the breather to solidify...

Assuming that is the case, a splash of Sea-Foam in the spark plug holes to loosen varnished-in-place piston rings may not be a bad idea.

I am usually not a believer in any mechanic in a can products. I did this on an '80s Briggs and Stratton engine that was blowing so much blue smoke from the oil in the crankcase getting past the rings into the combustion chamber, I assumed the engine was toast.

After a few hours of running, no blue smoke out the exhaust at all. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by r356c
  • Like 1

newtowheel

Ok I did what lynnmor suggested did a compression test great news on one cylinder I have 100 pounds the bad news I found the issue. Apparently I bought a lame horse or someone snuck in at night and borrowed one of my pistons.hopefully they will return it soon. I attached a pic of the horse and my assistant mechanic. Also posting the issue. Where would be a good place to locate a crank and piston? image.jpg

image.jpg

Also thank you to everyone who commented I will be attempting a restoration on the horse since I will have to break it down anyways.

• Like 2

r356c

:text-imsorry:

There are no eyes bugged out, jaw dropped images or I would put one here.

It would be nice if a seller would mention that a piece of equipment had thrown a rod...

I have no doubt that she will enjoy riding around on dads Wheel Horse one day.

• Like 1

roadapples

Shame the PO forgot to mention one piston was missing... :bitch:

• Like 2

newtowheel

Yeah it would have been better to know there was a piston missing before I bought it lol.

• Like 1

boomers_influence

new

have you contacted the former owner?

i would call this FRAUD.

thank you boomer

• Like 2

newtowheel

I sent them a message along with a picture of the run away piston boomer I will let you know what the response is in return.

I got a reply in return their son was mowing with it a few days before you bought it..... I'm probably going to get nowhere with this one.

i got 

Edited by newtowheel

Blue Delta

There is no way that was mowing a few days before there would not be any power and removing it would require pulling the engine apart. 

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
23 hours ago, newtowheel said:

image.jpg

Something tells me SeaFoam isn't going to work on this one. 

If the PO blows you off, mention you are going to talk to the DA about filing charges for fraud. In reality, the DA probably wouldn't bother, but the PO may not know that

• Like 2

newtowheel

Yeah I don't think sea foam is going to work either or did it and a little too well? After they said their son was driving it they stopped responding to any of my messages looks like I will probably have to take the hit on this one. 

Dhodge
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 8:58 AM, Blue Delta said:

There is no way that was mowing a few days before there would not be any power and removing it would require pulling the engine apart. 

Oh they will run like that