Ed Kennell

Wheel Horse powered Chipper

JAinVA

.Ed,

Haven't seen a belt arrangement like that except for long flat leather belts.How long do you think that the drive belt will last?

I have thought about having a tractor mounted chipper but the engine turns the wrong way for most.Never thought about what you have discovered.Love the out of the box thinking! Thanks,JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester.Va

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2

WHX??

Your contraptions are definitly different Ed...keep up the the under the apple tree engineneering! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

JPWH

That's how recycling should be done!

I like your thinking.

• Like 1

312Hydro

Great work on both of the attachments,Ed. You not only recycled,but made two very useful tools for your horse. :handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, JAinVA said

.How long do you think that the drive belt will last?

Only time will tell.    I don't think the twisting will have much affect on the belt life.   My concern was the rubbing and the resulting heat at the crossover.

So that is why I added the separator.    That is a piece of SST tubing spinning on a greased bolt.  There is not much side load on the tubing as the belt puts the same force on both sides and both sides spin the tubing in the same direction.    I did consider an idler pulley on the return side of the belt to keep them separated.  If this one fails we'll go to plan B.

• Like 5

WHX??

Well said Ed! .... if all al fails go back to the board!

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yeah Jim, after spending 45+ years doing R & D in a model hydro turbine lab, I came to realize R & D really  means T & E.

• Like 3

WHX??

That was trial  &  error right Ed not......well  will telll you when at the show want to keep this a family site!!!

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

Like the idea, love the front tiller.... but I'm wondering what's going to lube the Crank bearings on either end of the block on the chipper. How about putting the piston and rod with the dipper back in and leaving the plug out / blocking the intake, exhaust ports.... fill 'er up with oil and off to the races...

Tony

Ed Kennell

Thanks Tony.

The  block is filled with oil high enough for the crank to dip in at the bottom of the stroke. This should throw as much or more oil on the bearings as the piston rod dipper.

The valves and piston have been removed, so they don't need any lube.

Yep, T & E is trial and error in my vocab Jim........ I can't wait to hear your definition though.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I just want to know if MAD MAX and Mad Chipper will be at the show. I would love to see them.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I don't think I will have enough room Jim.   Unless I find a bigger trailer.......

Lost Pup

My chipper/shredder is one of my favorites, really need it with a wooded lot. 

Great job on yours.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

squonk

I put a horizontal snowblower on a vertical shaft tractor and twisted the belt. A regular belt lasted an hour, but a green Napa Belt would last 4 seasons. It would wear down and eventually flip over but kept up driving with no slipping.:banana-wrench:

• Like 2

ericj

you may need a trailer like this Ed, this is an Appalachian trailer 10K 82" wide 20' long, should have plenty of room to put 6 tractors on and have room to spare or implements 

eric j

225.JPG

224.JPG

227.JPG

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

I try to stay away from trailers with brakes that require inspections Eric.   I sold the 23' boat and trailer last year. The brake maintenance in the salt water was a real PITA.

I still have 4 trailers without brakes though.   Maybe I should sell em all and get  one 20 footer like that .

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Really liking that chipper...would sure be handy in my business to have one of those

wrightorchid

I have a smaller regular chipper, I think it is about 6 hp.  It is quicker and easier to just haul it to the burn pile.  I know that is not an option for everybody.  I chipped for a while, but things like green viburnum, vines, and and hard dried wood can really be a problem.  Branches with lots of forks are an issue too, since it has to be able to be fed into it.   If I had one of the bigger commercial ones, that would certainly be nice.