Short Circuit

1973WH Auto trans gaskets?

Short Circuit

Hello all,

I am trying to find the 1973 14 Auto trans housing gasket #5999. It's similar to the stick shift #3912, but with a  section for the oil filter feed line.  It seems all the sources have dried up (no longer available). Does anyone have a source for a new one, or have one they would sell?.

Thanks.

stevasaurus

Are you sure that TORO does not have that gasket??

Short Circuit

I just checked a few minutes ago, NLA!

stevasaurus

Is your old one in one piece??  @Jake Kuhn may be able to cut new ones...he already sells the 3 piece transmission gaskets.  Did you check to see if the 3912 gasket is NLA also??

Short Circuit

I haven't taken the tranny apart yet. I am in the process of restoring a 14-8 speed as well. I have the 3912 gasket. Just a slight difference, but I might try to make a 5999 from gasket material, since I can use the 3912 for a template.

stevasaurus

Jake's gaskets are professional, just like TOROs.  I happen to have a spare #3912 and a pair of the #3536 for the 3 piece transmissions, but I do not have a spare #5999.  I know you can cut your own, but if you can get your old one out in one or two pieces, and if Jake wants to do this...I would like to get those pieces to Jake.  :)

Maybe send a PM to @daveoman1966...he may have some in stock.  :)

Short Circuit

I really appreciate your input. Thank you!

It will be a couple of days 'till I get the trans apart. It's cold here in Ohio and I don't have a heater in the garage!

I'll send a note to daveoman and see if he has one. Otherwise I will try to get the gasket out in one piece.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Cool...thanks.  Sometimes other TORO dealers can get or have the parts that are NLA.  I think I will try my TORO dealer tomorrow and see if they have one...just in case you can't get yours out in one piece.  :)  Keep us informed. 

oRO dealers

Short Circuit

Will do. There's got to be some out there, one just sold on ebay before I could get a bid in.

You know, it's kinda fun when you can have conversations online to get things done!

I used to do that at work before I retired :D

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It should only be about $6 or $7...don't pay more then that.  If you do go and cut your own...Auto-Zone sells a thing called Kero-Pac...in a package about 1' x 3' x 1/32" for about $6...that is the way to go.  :)

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I called my TORO dealer today.  They can no longer get the #5999 gasket either...TORO is saying it is NLA.  I can still get the #3912 gasket from them, and I ordered one of those.  The #3912 gasket is for the 2 piece, manual transmissions.

I suggest you try to get those halves apart carefully, and try to save that gasket.  Hopefully, @Jake Kuhn sees this and is willing to cut and sell these gaskets.  I'll send him a PM.

stevasaurus

I have heard back from Jake...with out a demand, it is not cost effective to just do a few.  We will have to cut our own. 

Racinbob

Well Steve, DEMAND that Jake makes them. There's your demand......problem solved.....:orcs-cheers:

I just checked a couple other sites as well. No luck. :)

• Like 1

Short Circuit

I've been reading the conversations and am amazed at the diligence with which you all are engaged in this.

I still haven't got that trans apart. It's going down to 21 deg. tonight! :occasion-snowman:

Not my kind of weather to do garage work.

There must not be as much demand for the Auto trans gaskets, after all, it's all about the money right? 

Jake Kuhn

Hi short circuit, sorry just got on this thread. I do not want to get I to making these but did find someone with a couple nos gaskets. PM me and I will give you his contact info. 

Edited by Jake Kuhn

stevasaurus

I just picked up a #3912 trans gasket from my TORO dealer...$5.60 :)