JAinVA

I have several WHs that are in need of a cosmetic refresh.I know that many of you have redone the paint on your horses.The biggest problem I have run across is removing the decals on the hood and fender pan.I would welcome any tricks you guys have found to make this task easier.Thanks in advance.JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,VA

• Like 1

slammer302

Using a hair dyer or heat gun with a straight razor blade works good 

• Like 5

953 nut

Klean-strip decal and Adhesive remover will get all of the goo and the decal off, any good auto parts store should have it.

• Like 4

squonk

Rubber wheel pinstripe remover.

• Like 2

857 horse

I dont have any pin stripes on my Rubber wheels..=).....But i use googone to get it started THEN  a haiirdryer.........and googone to help with the remainiing

• Like 2

DennisThornton

I usually used heat gun judiciously to soften and weaken the adhesive and just pull it off a few heated inches at a time.  Too little heat and the decal won't release or just breaks as you pull too hard but too hot and the decal stretches too much.  Focus the heat on the metal and remaining decal and none on what you are pulling on.

Adhesive remover for what remains.

• Like 6

can whlvr

oven cleaner works too

JAinVA

can whlvr

Of the the responses so far your's is the only one that I am unclear about.Thanks by the way.Do you recomend spraying oven cleaner on the decal or as a treatment after scraping the decal off?Again thanks,can you elaborate?

Edited by JAinVA

KC9KAS

Oven cleaner is a very caustic product, so be careful with it and use rubber gloves!

Spray it on, let it set and it will soften the decal & adhesive for easier removal.

• Like 2

varosd

my 2 cents is the hair dryer/heat gun on the opposite side of where the decal is attached.  I find that the adhesive will warm up and as you then begin to remove the decal, it will "let" go.

• Like 5

953 nut

:twocents-twocents:   If you plan to take it down to bare metal and are not concerned about the existing paint then have at it with whatever! If you are planning to remove the decal and freshen up the look then keep in mind that a heat gun can loosen the paint too and oven cleaner and other products not intended for decal removal will leave residue which will cause paint failure. Use an automotive product that was intended for the job at hand. :soapbox:

• Like 2

can whlvr

yes kc9kcs is correct,be careful if you go this route,but ive used it in a pinch when I didn't have any other products at hand,if your stripping to bare metal I just grind it off with the flapper disk

rjg854

being the kind of savage that I am, I've used my propane torch to warm up the decal before removing :scared-eek:

• Like 3

Martin

As was mentioned above by Don @varosd, heat gun on opposite side is the easiest and quickest way..... no chemicals.

I`ve never needed anything but the heat gun method.....

• Like 2

Racinbob

Use oven cleaner and you WILL be repainting. Anything you use to attack the adhesive could attack the paint as well.  Like others here I've found that only a heat gun is needed. I simple got the decal started and then aimed the heat towards where the decal still met the sheet metal. A steady pull on the decal and it will release itself leaving little, if any, residue. A quick wipe with a solvent and you're good to go.

I always used my wifes hair dryer but just this week I picked up a heat gun at Harbor Freight for $8.99. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

squonk

If you use one of these wheels on a drill the decal will come right off with out marring the paint at all. Acts like a big eraserth.jpg

Randy. Living along 89 makes anyone a savage! :):)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Don and Martin hit the nail on the head.  Heat from the back on the metal is the best way.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JAinVA

I would like to thank each and everyone who responded.I think I will try all of the suggested methods.Some of the hoods need some body work and are rusty so they get stripped in the E-tank.Some just need the decals removed.Nice to know I have options.I knew you guys would have the answers.Thanks,again.JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester,Va

Digger 66

This is done on HDPE but the principle is the same 

Racinbob

I never go behind the metal mainly because you usually can't on vehicles unless you want to tear them apart. I also don't like getting the metal that hot when all you need to do is release the adhesive but obviously it doesn't hurt anything. Once you get the edge started it will pull right off cleanly following the the glue contact edge with the gun.

I hadn't heard of the wheel Mike mentioned. This video covers that as well. Pretty cool and this guy likes it better than heat. :)

Edited by Racinbob

doc724

I am glad someone asked this question because I was wondering the same thing.  BTW, Goof Off is acetone based and it will remove paint.  Goo Gone is citrus based and it will not remove paint, but then again it does not, in my opinion, do a very good/fast job at removing adhesives.  It looks like heat is the preferred solution.

• Like 1

Zeek
On 4/2/2016 at 8:37 PM, DennisThornton said:

I usually used heat gun judiciously to soften and weaken the adhesive and just pull it off a few heated inches at a time.  Too little heat and the decal won't release or just breaks as you pull too hard but too hot and the decal stretches too much.  Focus the heat on the metal and remaining decal and none on what you are pulling on.

Adhesive remover for what remains.

I usually do this with good success.  However I'm curious about Squonk's idea . . . :think:

On 4/2/2016 at 11:07 AM, squonk said:

If you use one of these wheels on a drill the decal will come right off with out marring the paint at all. Acts like a big eraserth.jpg

Randy. Living along 89 makes anyone a savage! :):)

I might try this, where did you get it and long does it hold up on some of the really old decals?

squonk

I got mine from Napa. It depends on what the decal is made of and what kind of adhesive was used. I'm sure it won't work on everything, but it wont harm the paint. I did an old decal and the decal kind of disintegrated. I did have to use some chemical on the old glue. They last quite a while. Too much pressure and it will wear faster along with heating up the metal too much