DeHart16

854 trans drain help...

DeHart16

Attempting my restore of any kind on an 854 and currently in the dissasembly of the tractor phase...I have my 4 speed trans off the frame and was cleaning, when I rolled it over dark mud colored oil began leaking from the two bolt holes that held the seat bracket...I guess I should have put those bolts back in when I removed the seat.. 

That trans worked great when I began my tear down so I wanted to mess with it as little as possible. However at this point I think I should replace the oil. Is there a step by step guide on this anywhere? Or can someone walk me through it. I've never done anything like this before and am learning from this awesome board. 

Thanks

doug 

stevasaurus

I hate to tell you this, but being a 1964 horse, and the fact that you have it off the horse already...I would drain out the gunk and open it up and really clean it out.  Depending on how bad that oil is and the possibility that you could have sediment in the bottom and now you have stirred it up...opening is the best thing to do.  With the trans on the horse, you would drain it...put in 2 quarts of diesel fuel and run it in the different gears for about 1/2 hour...drain and maybe do that again...and then add the 90 wt oil.

Open the drain plug and drain the oil.  See if you get any gloppy sediment out...that will tell you if you really should open it.  Maybe a picture of the old oil so we can see.  Check out this thread to see what I am talking about.  :)  Regardless, drain it and put in 2 quarts of diesel and shake it around and drain...it will make opening the trans mush cleaner.  I have videos and we can walk you through doing the job if you want....it is not hard to do or expensive...but it can be messy.  I can help there also. 

• Like 4

DeHart16

Man thanks for the reply, lot of great info I will go over tonight... 

In the meantime I snapped a pic of the last it of oil I didn't clean up, and the two holes it came out of..as you can see I already began wire wheeling the trans... 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

WOW...thanks for the pictures...they tell a  lot.  I would say that horse has spent a lot of time outside in the elements.  It may not be as easy to open up as I thought.  Those hubs, pulley and brake drum may take a little messing around with.  In your 1st picture, I see some milky, oil...that is really not too bad, but you do not know if it has been changed a while ago or not.  You are going to have to see what comes out...maybe take a look down one of those seat bolt holes... with a light in the other one.  :)

• Like 3

DeHart16

The hubs actually

slid off pretty easily, believe it or not not to much rust just a TON of dirt and grime all built up....should I be removing that pulley??

• Like 2

DeHart16

As you can tell by my questions, I am in way over my head lol...

Phatboy
5 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I hate to tell you this, but being a 1964 horse, and the fact that you have it off the horse already...I would drain out the gunk and open it up and really clean it out.  Depending on how bad that oil is and the possibility that you could have sediment in the bottom and now you have stirred it up...opening is the best thing to do.  With the trans on the horse, you would drain it...put in 2 quarts of diesel fuel and run it in the different gears for about 1/2 hour...drain and maybe do that again...and then add the 90 wt oil.

Open the drain plug and drain the oil.  See if you get any gloppy sediment out...that will tell you if you really should open it.  Maybe a picture of the old oil so we can see.  Check out this thread to see what I am talking about.  :)  Regardless, drain it and put in 2 quarts of diesel and shake it around and drain...it will make opening the trans mush cleaner.  I have videos and we can walk you through doing the job if you want....it is not hard to do or expensive...but it can be messy.  I can help there also. 

I just wanna say its guys like Stevasorous ,, that make this the best WH site on the web,, i habe never in my 50 years seen a place full of so many wanting to help other folks out.. Kinda gives you hope knowing there are still kind and caring ppl out there that care about things other than themselfs.. Sorry for the rambling but i felt the need to say it.. 

• Like 5

stevasaurus

Thanks Phatboy for those very kind words.  With all the good people on this site, it is almost like a fight to be the 1st one to get into a thread and help.  Being retired gives me a chance to do that.  :)

DeHart...yes, you want to take off everything on the outside of the transmission.  Have you decided to open up the case??  If so, you are never in over your head while you are here.  :)   Take lots of pictures also.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

DeHart16

Well I am going to take your advice and pour some diesel and in swish around, hope it comes out reletevly clean...? 

If im not cracking the case open, do I still want to get that pulley off? 

Thanks for for all your help

stevasaurus

Only if the seal is Leaking behind the pulley.  :)

DeHart16

Okay...I won't get a chance to drain till the weekend, please check back in on me...I'll post the outcome.. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

DeHart16

Snuck out and drained the trans today...the oil came out pretty good, no clumps or junk, pretty smooth stream of a light chocolate color. I will pour the diesel fuel in and slosh it around this weekend...

hopefully i I am good to go. Will be replacing axle seals and keys while I have hubs off. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

You are cracking me up.  It is hard to leave it alone, isn't it?  :)   You may want to do the diesel thing twice...or until it comes out clean.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

DeHart16

Haha.....yeah so this constant desire to be in my shed working on the tractor is normal? When I'm not doing that I'm reading through the forum...

• Like 3

redone

Hydro stat 1980 c141. i have changed filters with the toro part. i have never been able to find the plug to drain the fluid, although this oil is very clean. any reason to change oil?

pfrederi
24 minutes ago, redone said:

Hydro stat 1980 c141. i have changed filters with the toro part. i have never been able to find the plug to drain the fluid, although this oil is very clean. any reason to change oil?

Drain plug is on the bottom just to the front left of the trailer hitch end.  It is a 1/4" allen head plug.  Probably packed with dirt you will need a pick or small screw drive to clean it out. Would not hurt to change it.