lodestonefarm

Current value of tall chute snow blower

lodestonefarm
22 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

depends. Do you have pictures?

Well, I don't own it, but here are a couple pictures.  I can't really tell much from these regarding the overall condition.  I can send you a link if your interested.  I'm not sure I want to get caught in the middle of a three way exchange, but if you're really looking to move up to a blower for your 522, I know a guy who could use a good deal on a ready-to-go tall chute :)

00Y0Y_8q9sNln8zOD_600x450.jpg

00z0z_dKJXzYEES5_600x450.jpg

WNYPCRepair

Auger is in good shape, and it is for an xi. Where are you in PA, and where is it?

The only one I have at the moment is the short chute I converted to a tall chute. I'll look for pics.

lodestonefarm
15 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Auger is in good shape, and it is for an xi. Where are you in PA, and where is it?

The only one I have at the moment is the short chute I converted to a tall chute. I'll look for pics.

That unit is listed as Aurora, Ohio.  

I was pretty desperate yesterday after spending a couple hours getting my 520 with plow, stuck and unstuck only to get it back to the shed before bringing out the big guns - New Holland TC45 with front end loader.  My drive is clear now and I can probably limp through the rest of winter so I'll probably watch carefully for a tall chute.  I'm only going to get one chance to buy a blower.  I'm already on thin ice claiming the Wheel Horse was necessary for plowing-  that works fine when we get less than about 8".  Monday night dropped about 14" and I just couldn't make any headway!  

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
16 minutes ago, lodestonefarm said:

I was pretty desperate yesterday after spending a couple hours getting my 520 with plow, stuck and unstuck only to get it back to the shed before bringing out the big guns - New Holland TC45 with front end loader.  My drive is clear now and I can probably limp through the rest of winter so I'll probably watch carefully for a tall chute.  I'm only going to get one chance to buy a blower.  I'm already on thin ice claiming the Wheel Horse was necessary for plowing-  that works fine when we get less than about 8".  Monday night dropped about 14" and I just couldn't make any headway!  

If you can wait, they will be cheaper in spring, and probably more available. 

lodestonefarm

Well I figured out the value of a snow blower to me.  $450.  I got a really nice tall chute blower on Thursday.  Many thanks to TheRoundHousernr for sending me a link for a very clean unit for sale near him.  Here are a few photos.  I got it mounted today, slowly working around a giant mud mess in my shed.  Some day I'm going to build a garage, but for now, I'm celebrating a new blower.  Of course it's 50-degrees today, but I know we'll get more snow some day and this baby is going to chuck it as far as I want!  :bow-blue:

Thanks everyone for the input and for steering me away from that other unit.  This unit is so clean there are only a couple places where the paint has worn off due to use.  The skid plates still have paint on the bottom!  

I do have a couple questions but I'll start a new thread for specific questions about this blower.  

Again, thanks to all the great input.  

WP_20160220_001.jpg

WP_20160220_002.jpg

WP_20160220_003.jpg

• Like 7

varosd

Peter,

That is a great looking tall chute!   I'm still in the hunt to swap out my short chute. lol

lodestonefarm

Thanks.  Believe it or not, I'm actually rooting for snow now!  - ducks to avoid flying objects-  Actually I'm hoping what we have melts off the drive way so I can walk it and get most of the stones back where they belong.  Pushing it around the last storm with the loader caused a lot of damage.  

WNYPCRepair

That is a nice blower, and probably worth the price

DennisThornton
On 2/17/2016 at 1:44 PM, lodestonefarm said:

You and I need to stand together to defend our rights to properly equip ourselves to remove snowfalls!  Wheel Horses (multiple!) ARE needed even with "big guns"!

lodestonefarm
2 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

You and I need to stand together to defend our rights to properly equip ourselves to remove snowfalls!  Wheel Horses (multiple!) ARE needed even with "big guns"!

AGREED!  I'm hoping the blower does so well I get some brownie points which I would then attempt to turn into a smaller 300 series wheel horse.  I could mount the plow on that one and be ready for snow no matter what kind.  Aside from the difficulty of using the FEL, my old Yanmar isn't a good starter in the cold.  It was my father that came by with is larger tractor and did most of the work.  But on my long narrow drive a loader isn't very convenient.  A plot on that big tractor would do the trick.  I could probably do a pretty good job with a back-blade on my YM240, but that wouldn't solve the starting when cold problem....   So yes, we need to stand together.  

DennisThornton

FELs are NOT the answer for snow, other than relocating piles of it.  However, I have a 7ft truck snow plow modified to fit on my FEL that angles and does VERY well with heavy snow but I have areas that aren't conducive to plowing and really need to be blown, except for very light snowfalls.  My road/driveway setup really demands multiple tools to tackle unpredictable snow storms.  I already have a back blade but I'd even like to add a mid-mount grader blade to my snow team.

JackC

"my old Yanmar isn't a good starter in the cold "  For a diesel engine compression ignites the fuel rather than spark plugs. There can be many reasons for hard starting in winter but good glow plugs to pre-heat the cylinders and proper valve adjustment is required for a diesel to develop maximum compression to ignite the fuel.

lodestonefarm
25 minutes ago, JackC said:

"my old Yanmar isn't a good starter in the cold "  For a diesel engine compression ignites the fuel rather than spark plugs. There can be many reasons for hard starting in winter but good glow plugs to pre-heat the cylinders and proper valve adjustment is required for a diesel to develop maximum compression to ignite the fuel.

Yeah, that's part of the problem.  This model doesn't have glow plugs.  It has a thermostart which is supposed assist in cold-weather starting.  It also has a de-compression lever which allows the engine to roll over and distribute oil as well as gain some momentum, but when it's single digits, it's just not enough.  Fortunately, it also has a block heater which works great, but that requires it be parked near the house (and outside) rather than in the shed where there's no power.  It's always something....  That's what I like about the WH.  She starts right up no matter the temp!  

JackC

9 hours ago, lodestonefarm said:

Yeah, that's part of the problem.  This model doesn't have glow plugs.  It has a thermostart which is supposed assist in cold-weather starting.  It also has a de-compression lever which allows the engine to roll over and distribute oil as well as gain some momentum, but when it's single digits, it's just not enough.  Fortunately, it also has a block heater which works great, but that requires it be parked near the house (and outside) rather than in the shed where there's no power.  It's always something....  That's what I like about the WH.  She starts right up no matter the temp!  

Apparently the thermostat acts like a glow plug. Have you checked this out? Maybe time for a new thermostat? Google: 

Inside A Yanmar Thermostart

Theroundhousernr

Hey! Glad you went and got it. Was wondering how you made out. I think one in that shape is worth 400-450 all day long and should serve you well. Find a good chain lube to spray on after every use and something slippery for the chute like snow jet.... You will be happy with it , I am sure. Also, I like to run my belt on the inside pulley. I usually only run the onan engine at around 3000 rpms and that puts the speed right around the same speed if you where on the outside pulley. Then if you need the extra speed on the auger to really show off lol you can rev it up to 3600.  Also that model should have greasable bearings which is nice to push moisture out of them and keep them lubricated. Good luck and post some pictures after the next storm. 

MalMac

Nice blower, hooked to the 520 you should have ample power. One note though, looks like your side wing plates are on wrong. they should angle out then point straight forward to help cut through the snow. Just unbolt and flip around.

doc724

It is hard to see in the picture, but I believe that the side plates are on correctly.  Take a close look at the left plate in the top picture.  The final bend is pointing directly at you so it is very hard to tell-you need a pretty big screen monitor to see it.

lodestonefarm

Thanks.  Although I'm not certain how the wings should be, the leading edges of the wings are parallel to each other.  That makes sense to me.  I got the manual with the blower so I'll look there to see how it should be.  

MalMac

I stand corrected, if you look hard you can kinda see it. But it is very hard to tell, good catch. I would have had him all kinds of confused.

JoeliusZ28

Looks great, i think you got a good deal. We havent had any snowfall here since i bought mine either so as far as im concerned its working perfect :lol:.  Not going to lie im excited to use it though.

i saw someone mention using the inner PTO pulley.  I tried this on my 414-8 because i figured the extra speed would be good, but it looks like the bottom idler isnt aligned with that and puts the belt at a little bit of an awkward angle. It works, but looks like its more of a risk of wear and popping off than with the outer pulley.  Any thoughts, is the 520 this way too?

lodestonefarm
16 hours ago, JackC said:

Apparently the thermostat acts like a glow plug. Have you checked this out? Maybe time for a new thermostat? Google: 

Inside A Yanmar Thermostart

I appreciate that link.  I've already been all through this with the Yanmar over on another site.  I think this thermo start is working correctly, as does the de-compression lever, but when it's zero degrees everything is hard starting.  When I really need the Yanmar, I just have to plan ahead and plug it in.  Thank goodness for the block heater.  

3 hours ago, MalMac said:

I stand corrected, if you look hard you can kinda see it. But it is very hard to tell, good catch. I would have had him all kinds of confused.

No worries.  The photos I posted weren't all that great and when I look at them all I can see is mud!  I do appreciate all the input and suggestions.  

lodestonefarm
18 hours ago, Theroundhousernr said:

Hey! Glad you went and got it. Was wondering how you made out. I think one in that shape is worth 400-450 all day long and should serve you well. Find a good chain lube to spray on after every use and something slippery for the chute like snow jet.... You will be happy with it , I am sure. Also, I like to run my belt on the inside pulley. I usually only run the onan engine at around 3000 rpms and that puts the speed right around the same speed if you where on the outside pulley. Then if you need the extra speed on the auger to really show off lol you can rev it up to 3600.  Also that model should have greasable bearings which is nice to push moisture out of them and keep them lubricated. Good luck and post some pictures after the next storm. 

This unit does have zerks for greasing.  How do you know when you WH is at 3000 rpm?  All my gauges work but none of them are a tach.  

Theroundhousernr

What year is your 520H? Figure on a little over 3/4 throttle.

lodestonefarm

2 hours ago, Theroundhousernr said:

What year is your 520H? Figure on a little over 3/4 throttle.

I think it's a '94 but I'll have to check.  I have a gauge that is something like 'load'.  It's a percentage not a true RPM.

Edited by lodestonefarm
posted to wrong thread

Theroundhousernr

All 520 tractors have a tach unless its an HC and even some of those had them. If yours is a 94 it has it. You have voltage, fuel, tach, hour meter, and the vaccum meter which would be the load meter you describe.