lodestonefarm

Current value of tall chute snow blower

lodestonefarm

I'm interested in getting a tall chute blower for my 520-H but I haven't seen a lot of them for sale lately so I have no idea what a fair price would be (either for buying or selling).  Now that we're mid-way though the 2016 winter, what do you think a tall chute blower is worth.  I'm talking about a unit that has all required parts, has been used but not abused and would be ready to put to work as soon as it's mounted.  I know the project/pieces units are out there and can be found easily, but I'm not in a  position to repair/rebuild right away.  So how much should I budget to get a decent, ready-to-work tall chute?  

Thanks.

Tim

You see them between $350 to $500

doc724

This is for single stage blowers:  This year, I bought one for $250.  It needed $130 in repairs/parts to put it into good reliable working condition.  Last year I bought one for $400 (with tire chains).  It needed a bearing for $30.  So you have a range; $380 to $430 after repairs, about the same as the numbers Tim told.  These are prices in MA/NH.  Also, any blower you find must have the lift spring, lift tube, crank, and flag.  If is missing those, deduct at least $75.  A word of advise, even a good looking unit may not have been properly maintained.  Belts, chains, bearings, idler and drive sprockets rarely get replaced until after they are failing.  Racking up $100 in parts is pretty easy to do.

• Like 5

lodestonefarm

Hi Tim, Doc-

Thanks for your comments.  I was hoping to find a single-stage long chute for around $300.  Sounds like I'm under-estimating.  When looking at them, how can one tell what issues a unit might have- bad sprockets, worn/stretched belts, idlers, etc?  

DennisThornton

My 2 cents is that $300 for a decent tall chute is a signal to grab your coat and wallet.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, lodestonefarm said:

Hi Tim, Doc-

Thanks for your comments.  I was hoping to find a single-stage long chute for around $300.  Sounds like I'm under-estimating.  When looking at them, how can one tell what issues a unit might have- bad sprockets, worn/stretched belts, idlers, etc?  

At the least, figure a new chain and idler sprockets. But get bulk #40 chain at a a store like TSC instead of a higher priced Toro part. The #79360/79362 parts are a bit cheaper than for the 5xi #79365.

Jeremy Watson

I've have one listed in the classified here for $300 with all mounting hardware and in good shape. 

lodestonefarm

Hi Jeremy-

Thanks for pointing that out.  I see your in western MI.  That's too far a drive.  I'm looking into one closer to home but still 3 hours away.  It's more than I wanted to spend, but it sounds like if the unit is in good shape it might be the going rate.  I'm guessing the cost to ship yours would bring it up in line with the local one so if the local one falls through yours might be a good option.  

JoeliusZ28

I just paid $550 for one in like new condition.  (In my avatar).  Looks to have been used maybe once or twice and kept inside.  I wasnt really looking for a bargain though i wanted a nice one and it took me a few months to find.  All the hardware was included as well as a new belt and users manual.  No regrets im happy with it!

Edited by JoeliusZ28
Added info
  • Like 2

JoeliusZ28

Jeremy's looks like a great deal!

Coadster32

I have found that shpping on a skid isn't too bad in price. Others use fastenall. (Again on a skid).

WNYPCRepair
4 minutes ago, Coadster32 said:

I have found that shpping on a skid isn't too bad in price. Others use fastenall. (Again on a skid).

$150 seems to be the magic number with Fastenal. Everything I have quoted came back at $150

lodestonefarm

I found one a few hours from me.  Asking price is $450.  The seller has been pretty straight forward which I really appreciate since just going to look at it will take 5 hours.  He sent me these photos.  The center and edge portions of the auger look pretty rough.  What do folks think?  He says the belt, idler, and sprockets are new.

Thanks

V__19B2.jpg

V__74BC.jpg

V__89B8.jpg

V__AA55.jpg

Edited by lodestonefarm

Theroundhousernr
25 minutes ago, lodestonefarm said:

I found one a few hours from me.  Asking price is $450.  The seller has been pretty straight forward which I really appreciate since just going to look at it will take 5 hours.  He sent me these photos.  The center and edge portions of the auger look pretty rough.  What do folks think?  He says the belt, idler, and sprockets are new.

Thanks

Pass , Pass, Pass!!! lol  That was road hard and put away wet. With hits like that to the auger you can almost guarentee that thing is off balance and shakes, rattles and rolls. I would offer $150 for that. Was not taken care of either so you would have costs of bearings and chains i am sure on top of it.  Where in PA are you. There are a few for sale near me. I can email them to you.

Edited by Theroundhousernr
  • Like 3

Jeremy Watson

I'm no expert by no means, but that augar looks beat up. 

Theroundhousernr

Also looks like the wear bar is almost worn down to nothing, which is getting to the point of  having to have welding done to fix it instead of just a few bolts....

lodestonefarm
12 minutes ago, Theroundhousernr said:

Pass , Pass, Pass!!! lol  That was road hard and put away wet. With hits like that to the auger you can almost guarentee that thing is off balance and shakes, rattles and rolls. I would offer $150 for that. Was not taken care of either so you would have costs of bearings and chains i am sure on top of it.  Where in PA are you. There are a few for sale near me. I can email them to you.

I appreciate your input.  I've never had a blower so I'm not a good judge, but even with no knowledge, that looks pretty rough.  I'm not looking for the kind that need repairing/rebuilding, so even if this is a good deal at $150 I'm not capable/willing to fix it before using.  If you're willing to send me some leads I'll look into them.  I PM you.  Thanks.

13 minutes ago, Jeremy Watson said:

I'm no expert by no means, but that augar looks beat up. 

I agree.  That's making shipping yours look more attractive.  I send an email to the email listed in your classified ad.  

WNYPCRepair

I agree, no way is that worth the price they are asking. I have one with an auger in the same shape, and unless I can straighten it out easily, I will probably junk it.

That is in the exact condition of the one I bought, for around $200, which was too much, but I didn't have anything at the time. I found a short chute and swapped the tall chute from the beat up blower, made one good one. 

• Like 2

JoeliusZ28

Agree with everyone here that looks rough!  id be patient there are plenty of good ones still out there just not always at the exact time youre looking.

Martin

The one in the pics is really rough, and too expensive for what it offers. If that one was available for a decent price it would make a good candidate to convert a short chute, or swap the auger out for a good one. As others have said, be patient and a decent one will come along. Around my parts, I am looking for a nice, low hour tall chute, but it has to be a nice one and I'm prepared to wait. Also not interested in a short chute converted to a tall chute, I've already got one of those and while it works ok, the later tall chutes were so much more 'refined' compared to the early short chute blowers.

lodestonefarm

I really do appreciate all the input offered on this.  Thanks everyone.  I'm going to pass on this unit.  A few others have popped up recently, or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.  So I think I've got options.  There's always the option I took last year.  Wait long enough that I no longer need one for this year :lol:; but I'd like to avoid this delima next year and I'm more convinced than ever that I really do need a blower and not just a plow.  

Would a unit made for a 5xi fit my 520?  

• Like 1

Theroundhousernr

I really do appreciate all the input offered on this.  Thanks everyone.  I'm going to pass on this unit.  A few others have popped up recently, or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.  So I think I've got options.  There's always the option I took last year.  Wait long enough that I no longer need one for this year :lol:; but I'd like to avoid this delima next year and I'm more convinced than ever that I really do need a blower and not just a plow.  

No , Units for a 5xi style tractors are a different animal and will not fit on your 520H.

WNYPCRepair

:text-yeahthat:

On the other hand, if you find one for an xi cheap enough, you could probably sell it for enough to buy one for the 520, or trade for one, since they are a bit more rare

lodestonefarm
4 hours ago, Theroundhousernr said:

No , Units for a 5xi style tractors are a different animal and will not fit on your 520H.

I kinda figured that.  Thanks for confirming.  

4 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

:text-yeahthat:

On the other hand, if you find one for an xi cheap enough, you could probably sell it for enough to buy one for the 520, or trade for one, since they are a bit more rare

I know where to find one.  Do you have a unit that will fit a 520?  I'll trade you.  :)

WNYPCRepair
11 minutes ago, lodestonefarm said:

I kinda figured that.  Thanks for confirming.  

I know where to find one.  Do you have a unit that will fit a 520?  I'll trade you.  :)

depends. Do you have pictures?