Ron B.

Tillotson HR-41A

Ron B.

Good day to all,

My project, although it's not a tractor, it's still a horse! :) What I'm working on is a 1970 Wheel Horse Safari 309w. It has the Kohler k309-1t with a Tillotson HR-41A carb. The engine runs but, the carb is a bit buggered still. So, I'm looking for as much information about the HR-41A carb as possible, if possible. I believe I have it figured out but, I'm just looking for some confirmation. I have replaced gaskets and diaphragms, and at this moment, I do have a new needle and seat coming. After the initial rebuild, I could not get the carb to pump gas until I removed the, #18. diaphragm (pulse). So, in a nut shell, I'm looking to find out if I'm headed in the right direction with this carb.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!! :) 

tillotsonhr1.jpg

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Not a snowmobile guy myself, but I am sure you will get some direction from these folks...

BTW - Be forewarned - They are gonna want pics so you may as well go out and snap a few to post...

• Like 1

Ron B.

Haha, not a problem! Photos I have! Here's one, although it's a bit farther along now

IMG_2293.JPG

• Like 6

KC9KAS

:WRS:  And your sled looks very nice!

• Like 1

Ron B.

I started with this, a little over a year ago. It's getting there, and thanks for the welcomes!! :) 

IMG_1673.JPG

Mr. 856

That carb needs to be clean, clean, clean. That includes removing the whelch plug, and even the check valve nozzle. If it doesnt rattle its stuck. Do not use aftermarket needle and seats. They will give you head aches. Your better of sticking with genuine parts there. Aftermarket gaskets are alright. Keep original needles to if you can. Clean it good make sure there are no air leaks in entire system. Turn screws out 1 turn to get it running. Let me know how this works out.

• Like 2

WH nut

Nice looking sled

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Cool project you've got going...unusual :wh: there.  

:WRS:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

roadapples

Cool ride, although I`d sooner be sitting by the fire. And welcome to Red Square..

• Like 2

Ron B.
1 hour ago, Mr. 856 said:

That carb needs to be clean, clean, clean. That includes removing the whelch plug, and even the check valve nozzle. If it doesnt rattle its stuck. Do not use aftermarket needle and seats. They will give you head aches. Your better of sticking with genuine parts there. Aftermarket gaskets are alright. Keep original needles to if you can. Clean it good make sure there are no air leaks in entire system. Turn screws out 1 turn to get it running. Let me know how this works out.

It has been completely torn down and cleaned. Check valve did rattle, welsh plugs replaced. I wasn't satisfied with the needle, seat or lever that came in the kit so, the originals are in place. I do have a new Tillotson needle and seat w/washer coming in the next day or so. I did keep the original high and low needles, they looked good. I do have the low at 1 turn, the high right now I have at 1-3/8 turns, that's per the Kohler service manual but, I can turn it back to 1 turn if it helps get it going. :) I haven't detected any leaks anywhere, so far. That old needle had been sitting in that seat for roughly 35 years before I touched it, and since it's been out now, I don't think it's seating properly.

I will let you know, Thanks! :) 

1 hour ago, cafoose said:

I don't know if this may be of interest to you but I just found this on Craig's List:

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/mpo/5423961151.html

Actually, I have 2 of those. ;) 

Thanks everyone!

• Like 1

Mr. 856

Sounds like your on the right track. Dies that carb use a impulse line from the case? Tilly's can be finicky. I have a few of them on sleds. Usually the ones with mikunis arectge ones that start year after year.I'm interested to see if the new needle an seat and diaphragm help at all.

Ron B.

It does use an impulse line from the case, which I've switched out a couple of times. It does create a good strong pulse, and at this point things seem fine with it. :) 

Ron B.

Well, I'm not having much luck at the moment. That's okay though, I enjoy a challenge! :) I put the new needle and seat in, and I did turn the high back to 1 turn but, seems to be acting the same. Basically, it's flooding out. I'm going to invest in a few welch plugs and a new check valve. Probably should have changed the check valve to start with, just to eliminate that as a possible issue. Live and learn! ;) I have a pop-off pressure gauge/tester coming and that should also help determine what's going on with it.

Also, including some info that I'd never seen before that I found. Could be useful!

It'll probably be a few days but,  I'll be back with a status update, thanks! :) 

HR-41A.jpg

IMG_2471[1].JPG

• Like 1

buckrancher

I seam to remember from my younger days when we had snowmobiles the lever on the needle #32 should be flush with the carb body

Brian

• Like 2

Ron B.
3 minutes ago, buckrancher said:

I seam to remember from my younger days when we had snowmobiles the lever on the needle #32 should be flush with the carb body

Brian

Yes, you are correct, and it is. I've checked and double checked it. :) The pop-off gauge should help determine if I have any internal leaks, like around the seat and/or the welch plugs, as well as checking the pop-off pressure of the needle.

Thanks! :) 

Mr. 856

If my memory is correct I think you want that needle to pop around 10 on the guage.

Ron B.

Hey everybody,

Apologies for not getting back here sooner but, I was on a mission, and the sled is now running! Earlier in this post I had mentioned I removed the #18 diaphragm and got it to pump gas. Well, that #18 does belong in there and has been put back in. I was having a flooding issue so, with putting that diaphragm back in along with a new nozzle check valve seems to have fixed it. The pop-off is about 8 and holding about 6, which is what the carb was popping at when I first checked it before the rebuild. Some things may need some adjustment. I do have a page on FB if anyone wants to see it running just search out, Wheel Horse Safari 309w Project.

Thanks,

Ron

• Like 1