Xearl

snow thrower follow up

Xearl

I finished repairing my two stage snow thrower for my 523DXI . I put on two new idler sprockets and a new chain . I did all this without taking it back off the machine ,not an easy task . Thanks to NYPCrepair  ( I think that's right ) I made up an oak block 9 1/2  long 3/4 thick  to wedge against idler sprocket bolt to tighten the chain . When I put the block in place I noticed it was right by the key hole on the side . ( second picture )I was able first to get a thin screwdriver in to pry against the wood . Then there was enough room to get in a pry bar and force the block to tighten the chain . The first try I made the chain to tight but got it the second time around . Two things  :  The chain was 55 dog bones long and the picture is distorted so the ruler does not look like 9 1/2  but it is .

snow tool 1.jpg

snow tool 2.jpg

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

:D Does it matter which oak tree that "precision tool" came from? There are 17 varieties of oak trees.

Glad that you were able to get it back on-line without too much trouble. File for reference the number of links in the chain!

Xearl

I used Red which I felled, milled , and air dried for three years . Then I planed, joined and cut  to the proper dimensions . John my first couple of tries I used pine which split after whacking a few times .  That keyhole one the side worked without  a hammer at all . By the way thanks for the input on my posts . What a great site .

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
4 hours ago, Xearl said:

Thanks to NYPCrepair  ( I think that's right ) I made up an oak block 9 1/2  long 3/4 thick  to wedge against idler sprocket bolt to tighten the chain . When I put the block in place I noticed it was right by the key hole on the side .

Close enough, LOL. 

My block was just a piece of pine I had laying around and I drove it until the end stuck in that keyhole. It splintered the end just enough to give me the right tension. :)

Next time, I will cut something specific.  Now that you figured out the right length. :)

Xearl

Thanks again . I tried several times without the wood and got no where .  

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
57 minutes ago, Xearl said:

Thanks again . I tried several times without the wood and got no where .  

Yep, it was a discovery of necessity. I couldn't get it tight enough using a pry bar in the hole for the idler sprocket, and I looked over and saw that piece of pine I had laying on the workbench. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• gfullz
      By gfullz
      Hey guys! new wheel horse owner here. I picked up a 2001 523xi that came with a berco subframe. I happened to find a 40" compact berco that was hardly used to slap on it only I'm not sure where to start as there are no resources for this that I can find. I'm mechanically inclined, rebuilt the injection pump, injectors etc... as I purchased it non-running as it wasn't receiving any fuel to the injectors (it runs amazing now btw). 

so for starters I'm going to go out on a whim here and say that this will require the mule drive or "pulley box". and I've got the rest of the parts in the picture. The parts of the subframe that look to bolt up seem so narrow compared to the hookups on the rest of the tractor. Any help is greatly appreciated.

• kurm
      By kurm
      You can search for the specs but here are some links:
      https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro&lang=us_en
      https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/modlinfo.cfm?xCaller=Toro&o=2&x=22004&b=9900001&e=9999999&m=73552&y=1999&n=523Dxi Garden Tractor&channel=CN
      https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/modlatch.cfm?xCaller=Toro&x=22004

This is a beast!   Comes with the 60" deck and also a 48" deck and a new battery.  New belt (installed but unused), newer hoses, regular maintenance.   

There are wheel weights too but idk if they fit this unit as I've never tried.

758 hours

I got a zero turn and a Kubota tractor and this has sadly become ignored.

• johnidi
      By johnidi
      How do I determine if this deck size is 48" or 52"? I think it's a 48", but would like to know for sure. The model wheelhorse I have is 73550. I need to order a new belt this Spring.
      Thanks

• johnidi
      By johnidi
      How difficult is it to remove the attachamatic or attach-a-matic deck from the 523Dxi? My buddy gave me his and I'm going to working on it a lot this Spring. I'd like to keep it off until the grass starts growing and use it for yard maintenance and hauling.
      Thanks
    • kiu
      By kiu
      Hi, 

I've just bought a wheelhouse 523dxi which came with a bunch of attachments, most of which I got working.

The hydraulic rotary broom however remains a puzzle. It seems that in order to power it, an additional hydraulic pump was installed under the tractor. It keeps the hydraulics flowing though a reservoir which ist mounted at the left side and can be connected to the broom (see images).

Neither of the attachments has any label on it and I couldn't find any documentation. I don't understand how to integrate the the pump into the belt setup, no configuration seems to make sense. Currently the belt is touching and damaging the hydraulic hose when I use the mowing deck, so I can't use the tractor at all.
      Has anybody seen this configuration and can give me a hint? 

Thank you!