scotty

Rustoleum Regal Red

scotty

Does anyone have any pictures of tractors done using regal red spray cans?

Ed Kennell

568fd2ac5d60f_IMG_2872(640x480).jpg.cbfaIMG_3905.thumb.JPG.012f8b24da9a1a5358a44IMG_1812.thumb.JPG.1264a0527a7304cf84868568fd2710ad15_IMG_2867(640x480).jpg.3a3dHere Ya go

• Like 9

scotty

Just what i was looking for thank you!

Racinbob

Here's a Commando 800 with Regal red I did for my grandson some years ago. With the conditions just right a rattle can paint job can look outstanding. Considering the conditions this tractor has dealt with since the restoration it has held up well too.:)

DSCN0288.JPG

• Like 4

Don1977

SAM_0454.jpg

SAM_0416.jpg

Edited by Don1977
  • Like 5

scotty

Looking to me like im sold on that color. How long does it take to dry?

Racinbob

That's a bit of a downside to Rustoleum. The can states wait 48 hours to recoat. I've never known that to be long enough. It just so happened that the conditions seemed right to spray the hood for my Suburban so I just did it. I'll wait a couple weeks before I wet sand and give it another coat. It will be dry to handle by the end of the day though.

• Like 1

RedRanger

Dry time really depends on temperatures and humidity.

Dry to touch in 1-4 hours, but not 100% cured for 2-7 days or longer.

Recoat times very as well.

I painted a pair of wheel weights last winter and the paint was soft for nearly a month.  Garage temp was only about 45 degrees though.

Anytime I've sprayed Rustoleum, it's been at least 4 or 5 days before it is actually hard enough that you can't scratch the paint with your fingernail.

I've found it's generally better quality than most other rattle can paints, but still chips off easily.

The trick is to keep your air temp above 65 and humidity low.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

I have found if I follow the instructions on the can , It works fine.

conditions are min 70 degree F and max 50% humidity

recoat within 1 hour or wait 48 hours

I usually recoat at 15-30 minutes and have applied 4 coats in 2 hours with no problems.       :twocents-02cents:

• Like 3

RedRanger

Talking about temperatures-You need to maintain that temp and humidity the entire time the paint is curing.

High humidity and low temperatures reduce or even stop the drying/curing process.

Warming up the room to spray paint and then leaving the item in the cold to dry will not work well just as spraying an item and then allowing the humidity to rise will harm the drying process.

I've found it's not a good idea to even try spray painting when there is rain in the forecast.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I used Rustoleum Red Red when I was doing some work on my 310-8 . I think not think it would ever dry. I live near a river in a high humidity area so I know that caused the problem. I started using GM 81 red ( automotive paint ) dries fast so you can apply  numerous coats in a short time.

• Like 2

Regal_Red

Mine was done in Regal Red just this fall/winter.  The paint was done inside our factory so the temp and humidity was consistent.  Plan on painting the tires for the spring.  :greetings-clappingyellow:

With the help of all of the guys on the forum we've decided that it is a 701 with a 702 hood.  I'll be removing the 702 from the guard.

Wheel Horse Regal Red.JPG

• Like 5

scotty

Any other brands of paint that would be a little faster drying? I know krylon dries pretty fast is cherry red the only close color with krylon or is that the closest? I like the idea of paint and primer in one.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Scotty I went ole school , Couple of coats of primer ,sanding , wiping down with acetone. About 5 coats of GM 81 , 4 coats of of clear coat. This was on the seat pan.  Check out my thread on separate lift for rear hitch on 310-8.

Jim Winder

• Like 3

RedRanger
8 minutes ago, scotty said:

Any other brands of paint that would be a little faster drying? I know krylon dries pretty fast is cherry red the only close color with krylon or is that the closest? I like the idea of paint and primer in one.

Fast Dry and rattle can is not a good combination.  The quality would not be as good.  I'd believe it would have to have less pigment to dry faster.

I'd rather wait a few days to fully cure and be durable than be able to reassemble in a few hours and have the tractor turn pink in a year or have the paint scuff off.

Rustoleum and Krylon are both comparable.

I'm not sold on the new paint/primer in one stuff.  I don't see any industrial or commercial  or automotive paints being applied like that.  

Seems like the simple method for those that don't care to invest the time to do something right to me.

Painting takes patience.

• Like 3

oliver2-44

I used the Ace RustX pain and prime in one on the 1st rims I did and it dried but was just a soft finish. After letting it sit 2+ months I sanded it off and used rustoleum rattle can with good results

• Like 3

Racinbob
55 minutes ago, scotty said:

Just for giggles a few months ago I 'converted' a John Deere rear engine rider Ertl model to a Wheel Horse A-111. I like the way Krylon sprays so I used the cherry red. It had way too much pink in it. I redid it with regal red. I had an old 1/2 pint can of Ace regal red that I used to touch up a couple tiny spots on the Suburban frame. It matched the Rustoleum  perfectly but I don't have a clue on the durability.

• Like 1

tbarnhart

Here's the August calendar picture from last year. Rustoleum regal red and canvas white. It does take a while to cure, but it seems pretty durable so far. It's been almost two years since its been painted and has worked hard since, but it still shines up pretty good. A few spots could use a touch up, but its really a worker and deserves a few battle scars.

IMG_1397b.JPG

• Like 6

Wishin4a416

IMG_1990.JPG

Edited by Wishin4a416
All small pieces were done with rattle cans. Sheet metal was done with a gun.
  • Like 6

Molon_Labe
On 1/8/2016 at 2:11 PM, scotty said:

Scotty, this one is painted with Krylon Rust Protector Gloss Classic Red and it does dry fairly fast for an enamel paint.SAM_1039.thumb.JPG.09663a0bf42431434f529

Edited by Molon_Labe
  • Like 1